Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which assets do you feel are most valuable as a commander in Battlefield 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which assets do you feel are most valuable as a commander in Battlefield 2?

Which assets do you feel are most valuable as a commander in Battlefield 2?

So what are they? Please be honest and answer appropriately.
    I do not play commander.
    10.11%
    I rarely play commander enough to answer appropriately.
    6.38%
    Artillery
    4.52%
    Radar
    8.78%
    UAV
    10.90%
    Well disciplined squads
    47.87%
    I do not play Battlefield 2
    11.44%
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Which assets do you feel are most valuable as a commander in Battlefield 2?

Isn't this in the wrong section?
    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
    [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Nope. The site is set up to parse the general forums for the front page poll questions, so they all end up here.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Hum... Tough not to answer "Well disciplined squad", because if you don't have this, you probably don't want the CO seat anyway.

After that I'd say radar, which gives you the big picture, and lets you guide your sls properly. Then UAV / artillery, but I don't know which one would be more valuable. They both bring value. UAV helps your troops assess the situation, and cleanup an area. Artillery drains tickets, saps the enemy's morale, and does help an SL capture a flag when properly coordinated.

Thoughts?

Comment

Squads followed by Radar, and finally UAV's.

If you don't have receptive squads then it makes the CO process less fun as a whole, and the radar gives you enough warning to use the spot command for your squads. Then again, if you have such well disciplined squads, shouldn't they be repairing your assets?

Comment

Squad, then radar. UAV and artilerry are tied for me, it really depends on the map. Artillery can save your sorry butt sometimes. =p

Comment

I also chose squads, but only because they are the base.. The other assets, most notably Radar and UAV, are instrumental to the cause. Arty is last, but my no means unimportant.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

i picked squads becuase a well disiplined squad can act like UAV and Radar in spoting enemies, and i can zoom in to see around a squads postion but, after that if i had my choice it would be UAV...
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

If your squads don't follows your orders you can't set up any kind of offense or defense. It just makes alot of sense.

Comment

how come TacticalGamer server #1 is on a password now?????

no one can get in now.....

Comment

Originally posted by SovietZanta91
                      how come TacticalGamer server #1 is on a password now?????

no one can get in now.....
                      Read the SOPs in my sig for more information on passworded servers here at TacticalGamer.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I need squads that are capable of listening to orders. Discipline for me is the key to victory.
                        Meat Drapes
                        -[OIJ]-
                        Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

If I have scan, but slack squads, my intel is useless except for arty.
                          If I have disciplined squads, but no scan, I don't know too well what to do with them, but I can at least count on them to be effective.
                          If I have UAV but lack scan, I dunno where to put the UAV. I'll waste it.
                          If I have UAV but slack squads, who cares?
                          If I have good squads, but no UAV, they'll only suffer a little without it.
                          If I have arty but lack scan, so what?
                          If I have arty but no good squads, I'm gonna lose.

Squads,
                          Scan
                          UAV
                          Arty
                          "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                          - Lazarus Long

Comment

This all being said on the assumption that the squads I am commanding will listen, even if they can't shoot.

Radar, most definately.

Everyone put up a good point, but point in fact is, if you have no radar, you have no sight.

Good squads or not, a well positioned squad in a defendable area decides the battle, not the skill of the squad. You can put 3 AT guys against a tank and 2 APCs traveling along a road and take them out easier than you can with a blind squad in a bad position.

The commanders eyes decide the battle. If the enemy force continuiously takes out the CO's eyes, the game is over. Hostiles win. Period.

Placement and timing is key, and without the radar you have neither.

Now, you are going to argue that with skilled players, everything will get spotted. That's impossible. There are too many roadways and backroads and hills and etc to hide within on the way to a back flag which will provide a good spawn point on a forward defense.

Although, it's all circumstantial, of course. I've played Karkand and won it blind several times with unskilled squads. All you have to do is keep the river closed off and hold the left side as USMC. That simple.

The only thing that really changes with skilled squads is the ticket count in the end.

Now, I ask you this:

What can a CO do with 3 squads, 5 entrances and no eyes on the field?

Skilled or not, 3 squads cannot cover 5 entrances, let alone 6 or 7 (which many maps have), sufficiently enough to garuntee no hostile forces passing through the front line. It's impossible to know when or how an enemy is crossing the line without the radar.

UAV's can be used as radar on two maps:

Karkand and Mashtuur because they have larger scanning areas, due to the smaller maps.

But how does this ensure that the northern entrance is clear if the southern entrance has the UAV?

A few other things to point out about the importance of radar:

1 -- Artillery is d*** without radar.
                            2 -- Orders are d*** without radar.
                            3 -- And more importantly, without radar, the air forces are absolutely useless due to slow reaction time and lack of visual confirmation.

IE:

Bomber pilot: CO, I need confirmation of hostiles on my ordered location, over.

CO: Negative on that, Squad #, I have no eyes on the field.

Bomber pilot: Rgr that command, bomber pilot rerouting to assist squad 2.

----------Outpost is being over-run----------

Bomber pilot: Sorry command, bad call.

Bad demonstration but still to the point.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

IS battlefield 2 any good ??? yes or no??

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X