Hello World!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello World!

So, this is a... semi introduction thread for myself, combined with queries about the game, and stuff. I'm not making much sense here, am I? Oh well. I'll try to summarise at the very beginning, then go into a wall of text. Hopefully the tl;dr version will make sense, and anyone more interested may read further. Or not. Who knows!

Very tl;dr: I'm new, hello, what do I do, can anyone teach me?

Basically, I was looking for a good, realistic war sim. After a bit of digging, I found out about ArmA 2 and America's Army 3 (which I kinda kneejerk away from, just because of the title. I'm a bad person). However, most important to me is a good community for online play. I know enough about human nature and the internet to realise that just diving into multiplayer will probably land me with unpleasant people who won't tollerate my newbishness. This is my first time playing an online FPS game, or really any sort of realistic FPS game. The best way to avoid this seems to be joining a community. More research brought me here, so here I am. I may also be dragging my longsuffering boyfriend along, poor guy.

And now for the stuff that people may or may not want to read.

Player Information
    Name: Jenny (Prefer use of online alias in chat, to be honest)
    Time Zone: GMT
    Current Online Aliases: Athanasa (Ath, Atha, Nasa), Kayll, Zil
    Steam Alias: Mine4Fish
    So, I'm a female gamer. I am currently studying Silversmithing in the Birmingham Jewellery quarter, which is a freaking awesome thing to be studying. Anyone thinking that jewellery is just putting beads on string couldn't be further from the truth (although, one of the courses does seem to be doing that, wusses). My main tools are power tools, saw blades, hammers, blow torches and vats of acid. Fun! In terms of hobbies, I used to play WoW (as a healer and tank, DPS never gave enough of a buzz) and semi-hardcore roleplayer. I avoided PVP because I felt it wasn't really that skill based when you first got into it - it was about numbers on your gear, how much lag you had, and running in circles. I prefer games where PVP is a level playing field - based on your skill as a player, not the stats on your clothes. Instead I raided, when there was the opportunity. Being a casual gamer, I never really raided hardcore, but I like to think that when I did raid, I was an asset to the team - I pick up tactics quickly. But! Going off topic, this isn't a biography. I occasionally dabble into creative writing, web coding (not much now, as I don't have a photo-manip programme to make graphics to go with it) and experimental cooking.

What I'm Looking For
    Looking for a squad based combat sim, something where everyone relies on everyone else. A real feeling of camerardere and co-operation, and a forgiving attitude to genuine mistakes. I'd like to be able to play a medic, although not sure how that works over here. Erm, so, yeah. Really working with people towards a goal in-game, using real tactics and common sense and all that. Preferably on ArmA 2 (only have demo at the moment - student budget means I want to test before I actually pay anything). May get Battlefield 3 at some point in the future.

Help a Newbie
    Kinda a big request, but is there someone that can teach me to play ArmA 2? Like, a training session. I tried the in-game Boot Camp thing, but it didn't actually tell me anything about the keybinds, so I spent my time feeling like a Monty Python Gumby and flailing like an idiot, derpfacing as I stared at the scarily long list of kebindingings. "SIR. HOW DO I STAND UP? OH GOD I'M STUCK ON THE FLOOR WHAT IS HAPPENING WHY CAN'T I TURN OH GOD WHAT."

... Re-reading all that, it looks like a complete mess of text. Oh well! I'm hungry, tired and forgot my debit card so my thoughts are just all over the place.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: Hello World!

Hi, welcome to TG!
    Some useful info:
    The Tactical Gamer Primer - what we're all about, and why.
    Teamspeak Server Information - feel free to hop on and say hi, have a chat, ask for help, whatever. Also good for teamwork, or something. :)

If it's squad-based combat you're after, my recommendations would be:
    ArmA2. Pretty hardcore, great combined-arms operations. Plenty of modding potential, TG runs modded and unmodded servers. Massive community at TG.
    Project Reality - a series of mods for BF2 and ArmA2. BF2 PR has a large TG playerbase, ArmA2 PR less so (I've not played ArmA2 PR so I can't say much about it). Infantry and vehicles.
    Battlefield 3 - faster paced than ArmA2, PR, or RO2, but still lots of room for squad-level tactics. Infantry and vehicles. Vast TG community.
    Red Orchestra 2 - WW2 tactical shooter. Mostly infantry combat but there are some tanks. Small but dedicated community at TG.
    America's Army 3 doesn't have a set TG playerbase, but I'm sure there are people here who play it.

I'd suggest looking and asking around before deciding, but it sounds like ArmA2 is what you're after.

As far as learning to play ArmA2 goes, there's a thing called Tactical Gamer University, where experienced players run classes to teach less-experienced players what's what. You can also ask around on the ArmA2 forums, or in Teamspeak. But to be honest the quickest way to learn the controls is by playing the singleplayer campaign (until it gets rubbish or you've learned it), and rebinding keys to what feels right or logical to you. Once you've got the basics of moving, shooting, and looting ("everybody find a dead officer and steal their map!") down you're pretty much set to jump in to multiplayer. Just say that you're new and people will understand - no-one will expect you to command a tank assault of fly an Apache straight away.
    If you do get ArmA2, get Combined Operations - you'll need ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead to play on most servers (the British Armed Forces and Private Military Company DLC packs aren't essential, but they do provide nicer textures for some things). Also it's worth asking in the ArmA2 forums if you're thinking of getting the Steam version - some mods don't get along well with Steam.

Blegh, that's a wall of text. Sorry.
    Anyway, once again, welcome to TG! I hope you enjoy your time here!

Westy.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Welcome to TG, Athanasa!

What Westyfield said...although, be advised that Battlefield 3 and Skyrim are the "it" games right now so those happen to be what many in the community are playing. Other titles are not quite as hoppin' at the moment but the games that occur are as tight and teamwork focused as ever.

I know a few ArmaII players who can teach you the ins-and-outs of that title; I see you've already posted those forums so I think you should find a home there.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Athanasa.

May i suggest ArmA 2 Free. It's a simpler version of ArmA 2, but you can get the feeling of the full version.
        Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

In regards to ArmA 2, I've downloaded the free version from Steam, but - if I get the full version - will probably order a hard disk copy from Amazon, after trawling the internet for information about it. Was hard enough to get the Free version running off steam - had to dig out the .exe file manually and launch it from that. As soon as Steam got invovled, it refused to run. Ho hum. Of course, because I've got the free version, I can't actually mess around in the Single Player campaign. Also, gotta say, during boot camp I wanted to stab my character in the larynx for such fail voice acting.

Will poke the teamspeak server, once I've got Teamspeak installed.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Edit: Being the slightly creepy stalker that I am, I have now attempted to friend Coridon and Westy on Steam, as you seem to be helpful types that I may be able to constantly nag with queries.
          Last edited by Athanasa; 11-19-2011, 10:37 AM.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I'm around a bit too. I'm Booshanky in BF3, here, and on TS and Steam.

Comment

Welcome to TG. I'm on the BF3 wave at the moment but have played ARMA since it came to TG. Look for Lorelei. She's a great player and I think it's neat you have an opportunity to play the game with another woman. Lorelei is a good player and an excellent squaddie.

One thing about ARMA- It's a time bandit. No doubt about it. That and it it's a unique gaming experience in many ways but the one contstant for this title is the updates never stop and it can be modded in an infinite amount of ways. Managing content on your system is a key factor in running smoothly and it can be overwhelming to understand how it all fits together sometimes. But don't worry...there are so many good players and admins who will walk you through it. I'm not active in ARMA now but maybe we'll see you on Takistan someday soon.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I guess I'd better buy the full ArmA, then. Not from Steam, because apparently that's buggy. Go go Amazon!

BF3 can wait until the price goes down. Although I suspect I may also get it for Xmas.
                Last edited by Athanasa; 11-20-2011, 05:29 AM.

Pepper

Comment

Nice intro! If you want a digital download of ArmA I highly recommend you go direct to their own site and get it here:

http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/

That is how I done it and I have zero issues. Also, if you are looking for a truely tactical realistic teamwork orientated game, then look no further than Project Reality mod for both ArmA and BF2.

http://www.realitymod.com/

We have a very busy PR ArmA server, and we have a very large BF2 PR community, although most people are off experimenting with BF3 and Skyrim at the moment I think something will be happening very soon in PR land to draw them back in.....;)

In the mean time here are a few videos to show how a tight cohesive unit can promote the amount of teamwork that no other game has ever given me:

Those should do it! ;)

Also check out our official page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TacticalGamer

Comment

On the first video, loving the ambush set up at 2:06. Freakin awesome. Does ACE bring things close to Project Reality level, or introduce similar stuff? Just curious - all this stuff's going over my head.

Pepper

Comment

Oh god, tried playing on a random server with my boyfriend. FOr some reason it was night, and he shot me in the head ("What does this button do?"), at which point when I respawned I couldn't use my night vision glasses, and things kind of went downhill from there.
                      Last edited by Athanasa; 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM.

Pepper

Comment

Best thing you can do is get in game and get on TS to talk to people, you will pick things up remarkably fast, regardless of which game it is!:)

Comment

Welcome to TG. Hope to see you on the server for this event: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/pr-bf2/...ml#post1674291

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                            Welcome to TG. Hope to see you on the server for this event: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/pr-bf2/...ml#post1674291
                            Eh, an event for a game I don't have.

ArmA X (ArmA, ArmA2 and all addons) is on order now, should hopefully arrive by the weekend... but anyone's guess, as I tend to get deliveries at least a day later than the ETA.

Pepper

Comment

Shame. Keep an eye out for BF2, it usually ends up on the steam sale near Christmas for a few $$$. Worth it!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X