TG Dog Tags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Dog Tags

Was thinking of trying to make some TG dog tags in jewellery, but kind of need some vague background information on military dog tags, and the sort of stuff that actually goes on them. It'd just be a random prototype, made out of copper (cheaper than making in gilding metal, can't solder with aluminium, and anything with iron in it reacts badly with the chemicals in the acid pickle). So, erm... stuff I kind of need to know...

Dimensions. What size are dog tags, usually?

If anyone's interested, I can post pics of progress etc, too. Assuming I have time to experiment during the current project... should do.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: TG Dog Tags

http://www.dogtagsdirect.com/faq.html

I would love to purchase a set from you :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
      http://www.dogtagsdirect.com/faq.html

I would love to purchase a set from you :)
      Yay, money! Shame I can't work in steel (not learnt how yet, and probably lack appropriate chemicals), but copper, gilding metal, brass and silver work. Not nickle, allergic.

ANYWAY! Pics pics pics.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

My tool box and desk. The thing with the red tube attatched is the blowtorch.

Tools that I'll be using. Piercing saw, ruler, dividers, solder and the actual piece of metal.

Close up of the saw blade. Kinda bad picture. This is one of the larger saw blades.

Close up of the piece of metal, marked out for cutting.

Basic outline all cut out. Took about 5 minutes to get to this stage. It'll take another 2 hours at least to get the scratches out.

Pepper

Comment

Lookin good! Cant wait to see the finished product :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hit a bit of a wall, in terms of finishing it. I need to find some way of putting text onto it. I can either do this by punching / embossing the letters in with a letter punch, or etching them in with acid.

The issue with the letter punch is getting the letters to actually be in a line - dyspraxia says 'lolno' to that, although there's probably something I can rig up to do that. However, I don't actually have any letter punches, the local tool shop would have to order them in (£37 for a full alphabet, but probably worth it in the long run). I might be able to borrow some from the uni stores, but not sure if they even lend them out. I think the workshop has some, but they don't actually have an A stamp - you need to use an upside down V.

Etching relies on me being able to write with vaguely decent hand writing (mimicing a type writer) into bitumen paint on the metal (which itself takes 24 hours to dry)... Or I can pay to use the laser etcher in the basement to fry the letters into the paint, which adds costs to all concerned.

... and, of course, I don't know what I'm even going to write.

Edit: Gah, silly FAQ site with all its measurements in inches. Getting the rolled border on will be... interesting. Or I might just avoid it all together, as trying to solder wire around the edge might be more trouble than it's worth. Especially if you just end up putting silencers on them anyway.

Pepper

Comment

No pictures from today - forgot my camera from this morning. I was taking photos of the slug I found on my bedroom ceiling (how did it even get in?!). Anyway, slathered the piece in bitumen paint, and should be able to etch in lettering on Monday.

But I need something to write on it, and I can't think of anything. Kind of assume it'd go like this...

[ONLINE_ALIAS]
              TACTICAL GAMER
              [TG_SQUAD]

Yes, no?

Pepper

Comment

Eh, workload has just ambushed me recently. But, on a side note, I've made progress in working out how to cheaply make these things. The issue before was that, even if I payed myself minimum wage for each hour spent working on the piece (let's round it do £5), the typical jeweller's price-up is to multiply all costs by at least two, maybe even three. So basically every hour of work would increase the price by £15. Now, cutting out the piece is easy and quick. The issue is cleaning the metal of scratches, which can take days. Luckily, asked Dad about metals and stuff (like where I can get sheets of .9mm thick stainless steel), and it turns out they're usually sold with a plastic sheeting on them. Thank goodness for that! It'll protect the surface from scratches, hopefully reducing the overall production time of each individual dog tag to around an hour.

Next I need to get some bitumen paint, find out how long it takes to use the uni's laser cutter (paid for by the second) to etch words into the bitumen paint (when painted on the metal), and if I'm allowed to put steel in the nitric acid (answer may be no, due to crazy chemical reactions messing with other people's work)... if I can't use the Uni nitric acid, the next question is where I can get the stuff.

Pepper

Comment

This is relevant to my interests. I too may purchase a set, once you get the process sorted out of course. Best of luck!

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Looks like a very cool project and I'd be interested as well.

Something to consider though: I'm pretty sure that "Tactical Gamer" is trademarked, along with the dog tags symbol. You should probably start a conversation with Apophis (he's the big cheese around here) in the "Contact Tactical Gamer Administration" forum to make sure no laws will be broken, especially if you are going to sell them.

sigpic

Comment

Wasn't thinking of putting the dog tags symbol on it, as dog tags on dog tags might be silly. I'll drop a contact by at some point. In terms of selling, don't imagine it'd be anything large scale (being hand made and all).

Pepper

Comment

I agree that dog tags on a set of dog tags would be pretty silly. :icon_lol:

I just wanted to try to avert any potential future unpleasantness. On the other side of the coin, you might end up getting some sort of exclusive TG Dog Tags contract.. Ya never know!

Good luck and good work!

sigpic

Comment

What is not silly, but rather very cool IMO is the fingerprint that is on the back of WW2 era Marine Corps tags like my fathers here. (Not true color sorry, taken with crappy phone camera.)

|

Comment

Heh, how would I manage to get finger prints off the TG people? I can do my own, but that's only because I have extra acidic skin oils, which eches the surface of copper where I touch it over time.

Great fun when trying to clean up work. "Oh look, more fingerprints..."

Working to see if I can contact a steel supplier to get the metal I need. As I only need small amounts of steel, in small shapes (each dog tag is less 70mm x 50mm), I might be able to get heavily discounted off-cuts.
                            Last edited by Athanasa; 12-01-2011, 07:49 AM.

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Warlab View Post
                              What is not silly, but rather very cool IMO is the fingerprint that is on the back of WW2 era Marine Corps tags like my fathers here. (Not true color sorry, taken with crappy phone camera.)
                              How did they get the prints onto the tags?
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X