Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great TED speech on gamification

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O2N-5maKZ9Q

Do you guys find that, as gamers, you connect with kids (who play games) better than non-gamers?

It is amazing to me how I can sit down and talk with a kid who is playing Pokemon and connect with them on some fundamental level that non-gamers cannot understand. It's not just a shared interest in the game, it is a shared way of thinking, of looking at the world.

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O2N-5maKZ9Q

Do you guys find that, as gamers, you connect with kids (who play games) better than non-gamers?

It is amazing to me how I can sit down and talk with a kid who is playing Pokemon and connect with them on some fundamental level that non-gamers cannot understand. It's not just a shared interest in the game, it is a shared way of thinking, of looking at the world.
    I have a 16 ye old son and he and his buddies have Xbox bf3 LAN parties are my house every weekend. These boys aren't getting into trouble, drinking, or being dumb teenagers......and i always know where they are. I am actually asked how to play the game better. I, as a parent will take that any day of the week.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: Great TED speech on gamification

Excellent speech. Most people already know this but unfortunately they are either too stubborn to admit or too busy playing the video games make you dumb/violent card. Even at the real world level teachers have been using gamification for years they just call it "creative" learning. Traditional classrooms are still needed but if games can reinforce learning and promote life long study I don't...actually have never seen a downside to video games. Even as a kid I loved playing Carmen Sand Diego, Oregon Trail, MathBlasters, and many others in my time outside of school.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
        I have a 16 ye old son and he and his buddies have Xbox bf3 LAN parties are my house every weekend. These boys aren't getting into trouble, drinking, or being dumb teenagers......and i always know where they are. I am actually asked how to play the game better. I, as a parent will take that any day of the week.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
        This. I reminded my mother this fact every time she got on my case about "playing too much." My grades were good, I had friends, and stayed out of trouble.

My father and I gamed together for a few years. Best father-son activity - because we could do it anytime, any day, etc. This was from ages 12-15 - arguably the hardest for any teenage boy. Those years are, IMO, the most important in any young man's life. I think it really helps define quality of character what happens when they're in that age group. Very fragile beings, young teens.
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
          Carmen Sand Diego, Oregon Trail, MathBlasters, and many others in my time outside of school.
          Whoa, I remember those! Although always found CSD a bit too tense as an 8 year old. In terms of gamification and stuff, it was probably games that allowed me to survive state education between 12 and 16 years old - sometimes you need the escapism of games. Also sort of feel that gaming taught me to have a reasonable sense of direction.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I saw an Audi (not S4 model) with personalized plate which read "S4 OWNED" gave me a chuckle. Yeah, I'm a gamer.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Fascinating talk. I have been a gamer for essentially all 17 short years of my life since I got my original Gameboy and my N64. I used to love gaming with my father, but of course, he used to get motion sick during Mario Kart 64 so I'd always win. ;)

Now excuse me, I need to do some quests in Skyrim and hit the books for my AP Physics test this week. ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X