Being the Medic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being the Medic

I'm curious, what's the reason people like / dislike playing a 'healer' in games? Aren't fussed? Interested to hear your reasons.

For me, it's partially because I enjoy the responsibility of the role - that is, I have a job to do, I may hold the virtual lives of other players in my hands, but it's a different type of responsibility to actually leading a group. I'm responsible for keeping someone alive after the fight starts, but not for sending them in there in the first place. It gives me an important role without being culpable for stuff that goes wrong - I just deal with it when it does. I also like the associated decision making and multitasking / combat awareness associated with healing - I need to know, as best I can, who is where, what they're doing, what their status is, why they're doing it, and what they intend to do after... all without being told, most of the time. I personally find it far more adrenaline rush-y (totally a phrase, honest) than shooting at people, but that may just be because I haven't learnt twitch shooting skills and fail at identifying friend or foe (and therefore hold fire entirely).

Another reason is that people generally like to have a healer. Sure, due to the responsibilities involved there may be a "blame the healer" attitude at times (sometimes deserved, but often not), and it can often be a thankless job. In some ways, if you're doing really well, people just stop noticing you being there - you just become someone who appears when they're needed without a word, patches people up and dissapears again, re-appearing when needed. Half the time people only notice that you were healing when the healing stops ("Hey healer, where's my health gone?").

... I've sort of lost my train of thought here. I think I was going to say something, but I forgot.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: Being the Medic

My logic is much simpler:
    I'm actually a nurse.
    My accuracy is about as good as a blind man's.
    Makes more sense to play a role that helps the team than wandering around dying constantly without contributing. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      Makes more sense to play a role that helps the team than wandering around dying constantly without contributing.
      ... that too. In fact, that's the main reason for me in shooter games. That and I freak out really easily, so I either play as medic or sniper (i.e. at least 400+ meters away from combat). Trying to learn how to play an actual combat role, but that isn't helped by other people often not being medics, resulting in me immediately defalting to medic "because we might need one".

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I enjoy playing a medic/healer, whether in an FPS or MMO, because it's all about the teamwork. For me, it's much more satisfying to help the team (or in the case of an MMO, the group) succeed, without having to worry overmuch about my KDR or DPS. It's also more challenging, in my opinion, to keep up the level of situational awareness that's necessary to be a good medic/healer.

I just wish RO2 had a medic class..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
          For me, it's much more satisfying to help the team (or in the case of an MMO, the group) succeed. It's also more challenging, in my opinion, to keep up the level of situational awareness that's necessary to be a good medic/healer.
          This.

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
            ... that too. In fact, that's the main reason for me in shooter games. That and I freak out really easily, so I either play as medic or sniper (i.e. at least 400+ meters away from combat). Trying to learn how to play an actual combat role, but that isn't helped by other people often not being medics, resulting in me immediately defalting to medic "because we might need one".
            I'm the opposite kind of medic though. I default to medic because it's what I'm good at, but I've got enough experience from my exhaustive years of gaming and having some of the best gamers in the world training me in other roles (and yes, I'm speaking of TG members here) that I can pick up just about any role if needed. I just prefer not to. Also on the flip side of the coin, I'm the "combat action medic" type. I'm never at the back of the herd, but instead the guy who runs into the middle of a firefight, revives someone, drags them out and heals in cover. Tough to get the hang of because of this:
            It's also more challenging, in my opinion, to keep up the level of situational awareness that's necessary to be a good medic/healer.
            900% correct there. Especially playing a medic role in the thick of it because you often have to provide situational awareness for two people, yourself and whomever you're reviving/healing/whathaveyou. PR is a good example in which you revive someone in the middle of a fight and you have to be able to give them blind directions to the nearest cover to heal. Makes the job very 'pins-and-needles' sometimes. But I thoroughly enjoy it.

Comment

Probably the only role I'm racing for when I join a server. As much as I love to pack a punch I prefer being the medic simply because it gives me the satisfaction of helping out the squad and by knowing that one can not work properly without a corpsman. I love being in situations where I'm making the call whether it's safe to pull a downed teammate out or not and how to actually do it, and still I try to maintain the efficiency of a regular combat unit.
              Besides AnthonyAT33 also known as Anthony, Anthony33, Taylor, Antonic

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                I'm never at the back of the herd, but instead the guy who runs into the middle of a firefight, revives someone, drags them out and heals in cover.
                Originally posted by AnthonyAT33 View Post
                I try to maintain the efficiency of a regular combat unit.
                Still working on that. I've legged it across a field of bullets a couple of times to another guy, but mainly because he was down behind cover on the other side. Otherwise I'd probably coat the entire field with smoke grenades first. Then again, never actually tried doing it in a situation where there's been covering / surpressive fire on the enemy. Usually either been in the chaos of a PR match or on a random non-TG server that just happened to have a high population at the time, with just as little cohesion. Still a relative newb to ArmA - not played many true missions (Domi with 4 people hardly counts, and neither does PR, really), so not had time to test it out.

Had a magical revelation the other day playing on ACE - got shot, then sort of... decided to try something new and actually shot back at the enemy, instead of rolling straight back into cover and cowering. I was honestly stunned when they stopped shooting at me and got behind cover instead. Since then, actually got more confident with handling a gun - I still can't aim to save my life, but at least have the confidence to pop a round a second in the general direction of the enemy without curling up into a ball and hiding.

Pepper

Comment

Good stuff all. I love being the medic especially when timely revives are the difference between getting wiped out or wiping out the enemy.

I try to work with the SAW to make sure he's ready to suppress. I also try to work with the other squad mates when it comes to smoke. BF3 is an interesting title to play medic because of the all around lack of smoke from the other classes. As medic if you take a Gl launcher with smoke you have no med bags. I've thought alot about ideal squad layouts and for that reason it makes sense to me to have a medic with smoke, a medic with meds, An AT engineer and an Ammo guy.

I loved playing in the ACE missions as medic in ARMA because in many of them only the medic could heal the soldier completely. That and the whole thing about carrying extra morphine, bandages and epi. I kind of miss ARMA I guess.

Good thread.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I like playing medic because I love the power trip of playing god. I decide whether or not you have to respawn! Muhahahahah! JK, i like fixing broken things...including people!
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                      I like playing medic because I love the power trip of playing god. I decide whether or not you have to respawn! Muhahahahah! JK, i like fixing broken things...including people!
                      I've... actually done that on MMORPGs. On DPS because they were idiots. "If you charge in one more time without waiting for the tank, I'm not healing you. I'm also not ressurecting you - you can respawn run on your own." Mainly because I have limited resources to heal with, and I'm not going to waste it on someone that seems set on taking as much damage as possible.

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
                        I've... actually done that on MMORPGs. On DPS because they were idiots. "If you charge in one more time without waiting for the tank, I'm not healing you. I'm also not ressurecting you - you can respawn run on your own." Mainly because I have limited resources to heal with, and I'm not going to waste it on someone that seems set on taking as much damage as possible.
                        Leeeeeeerrooooooyy... JEEEEENNNNKIINNNSS!

sigpic

Comment

Oh my God, he just ran in... Stick to the plan guys!

To be honest, sometimes the best reaction to that sort of thing is to leg it in the other direction. If you survive, you can go back and revive the corpses.
                          Last edited by Athanasa; 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM.

Pepper

Comment

Well at least he had chicken at the end. Chicken is definitively something I'd rush in for. :3
                            Besides AnthonyAT33 also known as Anthony, Anthony33, Taylor, Antonic

Comment

Leeeeeeerrooooooyy... JEEEEENNNNKIINNNSS!
                              Now you're speaking my language MK! I try to Leeeeeeeeeeerrrrrooooooyyyy JEEEEEENNNKIINNSSS atleast once per night! At the appropriate at time of course >.>
                              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X