No announcement yet.

GSC Game World closes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC Game World closes

On Friday evening I heard some sad news: GSC Game World, the Ukrainian game developers responsible for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series of games, has closed. It's a bit of a mess right now - the latest news, via their Twitter feed, is that "An official statement will be made on Monday."
    There is still a sliver of hope, but it's not looking good - several employees have announced that they are looking for new jobs, a whole load of S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 concept art has been released/leaked, and there are rumours of government investigations into corruption, bribery, extortion etc.

Personally, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is one of my favourite series of games - they're unique in what they set out to do and what they achieve. Shadow of Chernobyl is often remembered for its sometimes hilarious bugs ("I said come in; don't stand there!") but it, along with Call of Pripyat, should really be remembered for their incredible atmosphere, creeping horror, tense battles, and expansive, open, living worlds. Jim Rossignol of Rock, Paper, Shotgun explained why you should care about S.T.A.L.K.E.R far more eloquently than I ever could, but I will say this: there are no developers like GSC. There is no-one who could pick up the IP and carry on doing what GSC did, and I'm not sure there ever will be.
    I'm hoping against hope that this will turn out to be some horribly misguided, GoG-style PR stunt, but in all likelihood this is the end of GSC, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

For now, let's sit back, watch a Call of Pripyat trailer (fullscreen HD, of course), and raise a glass to GSC and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :(

Last edited by westyfield; 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed video embed
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: GSC Game World closes

I couldn't agree with you more(*raises glass*), this is sad news indeed. I remember playing a beta build of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that a friend of mine found before the game was released. It was just a few of the MP maps and weapons. At the time it was so far beyond what all the other studios were putting out. It made the anticipation for the release date almost unbearable. There hasn't been another game that has created the atmosphere that Stalker has done, especially in the FPS genre. I will miss this title, it brought a refreshing look at what is becoming a serialized genre.
    If there is another studio that would be willing to take on the task of bringing the next title to life I for one would be willing purchase it and hope it could live up to what has come before.

Sad news indeed. I wonder what will happen to the stalker 2 source code if there is any. The series had quite a following wih modders who would likely love to have it.

I don't think I ever played a more atmospheric game.

"Get out of here stalker!"

Sent from my EVO

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed