Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importance of the right gear and defensive riding!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of the right gear and defensive riding!

Hi all Rakkasan here! I announced my return back to TG after some time a few months ago and then I disappeared again. My disappearance was not by choice. I was invloved in a motorcycle accident on Dec. 4th 2011 due to a careless driver who decided to turn right in front of me as I was making my way home. I suffered 2 broken femurs and a concussion. I now have rods in my legs. BUT it could have been worse. I always wear the right gear, helmet, gloves,back/chest protection and long pants and boots. I also was taught from a young age by my father the importance of defensive driving and riding and later took and completed a course on it. The right gear and knowing defensive riding saved my life and I was able to avoid hitting the car head on and possibly flying over it into traffic. I'm sharing my story because I know there are many motorcyclists on TG, I've played with many of you for years and I love and respect each and every one of you. Be safe out there guys n girls. Rak out!

My accident
    http://eastwindsor.patch.com/article...#photo-8614443

[unit][support]
    The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
    I am proud to serve my Country!
    United States Army
    I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
    I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
    "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Re: Importance of the right gear and defensive riding!

I had a family friend get clipped in the rear wheel of his bike, his helmet smacked into the ground and he skidded almost 30 feet. The helmet had warn off, took some of his hair with it, but he survived with wrist fracture and a couple of ribs broken.

Glad to see you're doing alright man. Your "location" made me crack up.
    Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 02-03-2012, 01:37 AM. Reason: I can't type
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Damn dude, that sounds painful and awful. I am sure glad you are alive and well and with us still.

Comment

Welcome back. Glad to see you're recovering, that looks like a pretty painful endeavor.

My old man has had 2 motorcycle accidents, including one on a wet highway at night. His sentiments were the same as yours - stay safe, keep alert, and wear proper gear.
        Skud

Comment

Rak, glad to hear you are OK.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I understand with what you mean with having the right gear.

For me as a volunteer firefighter my gear goes as followed:

NFPA Approved Turnout Coat - Right hand pocket contains a set of trauma shears, which will cut through seatbelts and clothes etc.

NFPA Approved Bunker Geat - Right hand pocket includes hook/webbing in case of bailout of a building.

Bailout harness over bunker gear

NFPA Approved gloves for interior fire.

Two sets of ID Tags for accountability

NFPA Approved Hood

NFPA approved helmet with door chocks, and nails which also work well for chocking doors.

Boots as well and I always make sure to wear a tshirt, shorts or pants with socks underneath.

I know the above is completely unrelated to using a motorcycle but it pays to have the right equipment and gear for what you will be doing.

Glad to hear you are recuperating and you are doing better!
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Wow Rak, good to hear you're doing okay!

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright Rak! I got whacked by a guy doing 30ish while i was pumping gas a few years back. Luckily, I didnt break anything, got some pretty nasty road rash and my bike was pretty mangled, but as you said, the proper gear saved me from much worse.

Comment

Glad to hear you're ok Rak.
                  My dad once told me that when buying safety gear, you spend however much you think you're worth. You might never need it, but if you do your fat wallet isn't going to protect you as much as a proper helmet.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

The gear was def a plus saved me from having much more worse injuries

[unit][support]
                    The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
                    I am proud to serve my Country!
                    United States Army
                    I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
                    I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
                    "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Comment

Wow, glad to hear that you are ok, that must have been a serious accident by the looks of that car (and bike).
                      Must be painful still for you, hang in there.
                      Best wishes.
                      "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Rak I hope that the guy has insurance so he can pay the damages.

I know you most likely did but make sure the police report that you gave was clear and concise, too many times the drivers at fault will try and swing it in their favor, especially when bikes of any kind are involved.

Make a few copies of the police report and the hospital report also.

Glad though that you are doing better. Keep us updated.

@Ferris - wow, while pumping gas? You my friend got very lucky, I almost immediately thought of a fire starting a la the gas station scene in Point Break.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

WOW.....looking at the photos, I would have expected your injuries to be much worse. You are spot on about gear and defensive riding. I have only been riding about 1.5 years and I have almost been hit several times. Damned cellphones, people only half look when they are talking and driving.
                          |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                          I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X