Southland (Tuesdays 10pm on TNT)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southland (Tuesdays 10pm on TNT)

Wanted to see if there were any TG members who watch the police drama "Southland" on TNT.

It originally aired on NBC however after not meeting the expectations of the upper management it was cancelled and Ted Turner swooped in and saved the show while adding it to his "We Know Drama" lineup on TNT.

It follows uniform police officers and detectives while they are on duty on the streets of Los Angeles.

If you enjoyed the tv show Homicide: Life on the street, Law and Order and enjoy the tv drama genre I highly recommend it.

Season 4 has added Lucy Liu to its cast and Lou Diamond Phillips who will hopefully be on for a bunch of Episodes.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Southland (Tuesdays 10pm on TNT)

Wait, didnt this show end before season two ended? The last thing I remember, is the sleeping and bad cop going haywire in the canal and flipping his black and white. After that, and dont give anything away..., after that, does it keep getting good?!

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Nope it's been brought back to life. The first couple of original episodes were very detailed and accurate. Now it's more of a generic police drama with a growing chunk of the "OC" mixed in. Still enjoyable, but much more fluffy.
      sigpic
      [squadl][conduct]

Comment

We'll never see the likes of The Wire ever again, will we?

Best show ever.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
          We'll never see the likes of The Wire ever again, will we?

Best show ever.
          Well The Wire was on HBO, and HBO does produce/create absolutely awesome series, and lets face it, The Wire protrayed Baltimore perfectly, but if you can get past Southland not being the wire, the show is still interesting, I wouldn't say its more fluffy, there have been some episodes that are pretty gory, as gory as basic cable TV shows can get. It is still interesting and enjoyable to watch.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

The focus on badge "bunnies" and bedroom exploits of Ben Sherman is what I consider fluffy (and the OC component of the show). Now if the writers were the original ones that were tied in with real cops, they would write an episode where one of the badge hags brings a gun to the station and starts waving around after getting blown off by the local boys in blue, upset that she no longer is being giving mustache rides in on-duty patrol cars. There is plenty of real, dirty laundry to mine if they if the writers were still talking to local popo.
            sigpic
            [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Not to turn this into a debate or argument, but there are forms of "badge bunnies" in many aspects of Emergency Services work and different types of employment all over. Heck Fmr. President Bill Clinton proved to us that forms of "badge bunnies" run rampant in the White House and you can lie to Congress about it and not get into trouble.

But I do have to give credit to the writers and producers and executive producers, many of which have written, produced or executive produced shows like: NYPD Blue, ER, Law and Order Criminal Intent, The Sopranos, Third Watch and others.

The acting ensemble is also broad, there are actors who have starred in Band of Brothers, Outside Providence, Jerry Maguire, Murphy Brown, Red Dawn, Boiler Room, Courage Under Fire etc....

Ben Mckenzie who plays Ben Sherman has shown as well that he can act and hold his own with actors with a lot more credits than his. If that is the OC presence you were mentioning, I will also point out that actor Michael Cudlitz was on the original Beverly Hills 90210 television show.

I also don't believe the creators of the show when they ask for technical assistance call up the LAPD and say "Hey, can we have the popo help us out with this show?"
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                Not to turn this into a debate or argument, but there are forms of "badge bunnies" in many aspects of Emergency Services work and different types of employment all over. Heck Fmr. President Bill Clinton proved to us that forms of "badge bunnies" run rampant in the White House and you can lie to Congress about it and not get into trouble.

Ben Mckenzie who plays Ben Sherman has shown as well that he can act and hold his own with actors with a lot more credits than his. If that is the OC presence you were mentioning, I will also point out that actor Michael Cudlitz was on the original Beverly Hills 90210 television show.

I also don't believe the creators of the show when they ask for technical assistance call up the LAPD and say "Hey, can we have the popo help us out with this show?"
                Badge Hags are indeed real, my comment was based on how much coverage has been given to "Ben Sherman's bedroom exploits" lately compared to any actual police work drama. My comment about the story idea of the badge hag with a gun was based on city next door to LA (South Pas) that had that happen...the lady showed up in the lobby of the police station with a gun because she was upset at not being treated "right" by the officers who were having sex with her while on duty, often in their patrol cars.

I do training with local law enforcement on a frequent basis, including LAPD. I have a buddy who works for LAPD who refused to help with the show because he and his fellow officers have lost all respect for the show. In terms of writing, cops love to talk war stories, and it isn't hard to find a few willing to part with stories that translate well to the little or big screen. Many of the early Southland episodes were based on real stories or events. It added credibility to the show.

My OC comment wasn't a diss on Ben McKenzie's acting ability, but on the fact the focus has shifted to his "personal" life for much of the recent episodes. The same goes for the "pregnancy" issue for the female detective "Lydia Adams". It helps to humanize the characters, but too much ends up changing the focus from police drama to something more generic. Shows like Law & Order managed to personalize their characters while focusing on the police work. Police work is interesting enough you don't need to fluff it up, but I think TNT has a different opinion.
                sigpic
                [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Now it all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying and my apologies if I came off defensive. I blame it on the sandbox and some of the unrealistic anti everything libs that I encountered there.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips for me. Two years ago I studied my arse off for the nypd exam, got a great test score (I never did well on timed tests) and have recently submitted the APD-5 questionnaire which has started the background investigation part. I have never been arrested and my last speeding ticket (I believe I only have 4 or 5 on my record) was in 2005.

Posting here or sending me a pm would be great.

I did not like last nights show. I hope they do not bring along a tv crew ever again.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...