Anyone here do Tabletop RPGs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here do Tabletop RPGs?

If so, have you ever DMed? If you do, where do you find inspirations for adventures, stories, and characters?

Who would you play with? What setting and system of rules? Relaxed or hardcore? Did you do mostly one offs, or did you carry characters through multiple campaigns?
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Anyone here do Tabletop RPGs?

It's been a couple of decades since I last played a paper and dice RPG.

I DM'd a few times, but never really enjoyed it and I wasn't all that good at it. I had the mentality, back then, of wanting to win.. And, when the DM wins, the players tend to get ticked off as they are constantly being eaten by dragons, owlbears, trolls, mindflayers, pixies (yes, we had meat eating pixies in our world), etc.

Virtually all of our inspiration came from the worlds of Grayhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance. But, we didn't "play" in any of those worlds. What I mean by that is, we made our own world (mapped out on roughly 30 pages of graph paper, we had 2 large continents and numerous islands and such) and moved cities, towns and other areas of interest into our world. As for our characters, we generally played the same characters through many, many campaigns. We even moved on to playing our characters as gods in the many different planes of existence.

The group I played with, consisted of my two brothers, one of my brothers friends, and several of my friends. The least we played with was 4 players and the most was around 10 (that was a wild night of D&D!) For the players that couldn't be at every session (we played A LOT), we had henchmen and hirelings pre-rolled for that purpose. We pretty much stuck with the 2nd Edition rules of AD&D with a mixture of other rules from each of the game worlds we had borrowed from and generally played in a relaxed way.

Ahh, memories.. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Sir-Nerd!

sigpic

Comment

I play with my 3 friends from high school (we're in college now), we've had several people come in as a 4th player, but all of them have quit out. We played 3.5 (Level 20 campaign with 6 people) but now have settled on the Pathfinder game due to the ease of the SRD it has available. We usually start a party at low level and play with them through several campaigns until all of us have rotated out as DM. Every character set we've done always has some sort of gimmick, one set of characters all had to be some form of Evil, another set had to have a stat that was below 10 (I had a rogue with Charisma 5 who was a hawkman), along with different styles of creating characters.

We meet once a week, with around 4-5 hours set aside to game, since everyone is busy due to college. We rotate DM's and each person has their own style. One guy goes for the Roleplay heavy, with psychological or sociological aspects, another guy likes mission based game play within a confined environment. The latter person has outrageously bad luck, since he's killed off our party twice due to bad dice rolls. I go for a more epic setting, spanning several countries and involve the politics of each region, with the PCs acting as a deniable asset to their cause. Our current DM is a complete moron with no creativity, what he constitutes as "Creative" is throwing the party at exact clones of ourselves, we let him play since he's an insane munchkin.

I get my material for DMing from old video games and historical events. I've ripped several stories from the Dragon Quest series, as well as concepts from fantasy novels i've read. The Pathfinder Setting we used has been altered by us, and we keep a consistent timeline with events that has happen with previous characters. My first character was a Cleric who was said to be the reincarnation of a dead god, which everyone in the group took and ran with it, with cameo appearances and such.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I'm a player character myself. D&D 4e, started up from Level 1 with 5 of my best friends. Level 6 Lawful good Paladin in the house!

Our group is 4 girls and 2 guys, and we're pretty chill. 16note here, a former Irreg and 24th member is our DM actually! We try to play around once a week, for about 4-5 hours; pizza is not optional. We have been running Wizards of the Coast campaigns (as we only started last May), and we've been carrying all our characters through. It's a ton of fun! A lot of time we regress to YouTube videos and Netflix, but it's always still fun! We do a lot of joking around the the RP is pretty loose.

Comment

I've mostly played DnD 3.5 and a bit of Pathfinder, as well as a campaign in the Heroes Unlimited setting of Palladium.

My friends who I play with are back home though, so my chances to play with them are usually during the summer. I've never DM'd, but I do consult for my friend who DM/GM's most of their games. At the moment I'm building a spear and shield fighter for a Bronze Age, low magic setting.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I am actually running a Shadowrun 4thED (A) game right now with 7 players, all real life friends, two sundays out of the month. :) I have played the following,

Old world of Darkness: mage the awakening
            D&D 3.0, 3.5, 4th<---SUCKS SO MUCH IT"S NOT FUNNY
            D20 Modern
            Pathfinder
            Wheel of Time RPG
            Rifts
            Heroes Unlimited

As you can see...I'm a super nerd...*cough*

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Comment

I haven't tabletop RPG'd, but I'd love to. =O

I do have the Monster Manual, Races of Faerun, Draconomicon and other D&D 3.5 books, though!

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DamionRayne View Post
                I am actually running a Shadowrun 4thED (A) game right now with 7 players, all real life friends, two sundays out of the month. :) I have played the following,

Old world of Darkness: mage the awakening
                D&D 3.0, 3.5, 4th<---SUCKS SO MUCH IT"S NOT FUNNY
                D20 Modern
                Pathfinder
                Wheel of Time RPG
                Rifts
                Heroes Unlimited

As you can see...I'm a super nerd...*cough*
                One of the guys we play with does Exalted, Forgotten Realms, Shadowrun, Paranoia, Call of Cthlulu, AD&D, D&D 3.0 3.5, Pathfinder, and Warhammer 40k Deathwatch/Dark Heresy.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I've played Paranoia (2nd edition), 2nd ed AD&D, 3.5 AD&D, and sometimes some short Shadowrun 4th. (loking for games for shadowrun, actually. May want to try it again.)

My favorite is 3.5 as far as structure is concerned... it feels a lot more complete and believable when you have generalized rules for many, many situations and outcomes instead of having to rely on the GM to have pre-statted out everything beforehand and done weeks worth of work creating a system. This is a problem I have with 4th, or at least when I tried it shortly after it came out. With no decent fluff or worldbuilding books in place or systems in the DMG to help create believable settings, it made everything just super-generic.

I've only DM'd a handful of times, mostly in one-offs of setpiece dungeons (Return to the Tomb of Horrors being something I've run a couple times before) because my regular DM's have large crafted homebrew settings that I don't care to mess up if I get the reins. As an example, my 2nd ed game I'm in has been running since 2003.

I prefer as a player to have characters I can take through several campaigns instead of just one-offs, it feels a lot more complete and satisfying. I also like lowish-to-mid-level campaigns, especially in 3.5, as the higher you go, the more the game begins to be unbalanced, both in the party-member powerlevel aspect as well as how much the DM will have to throw things at you.

For D&D 3.5 I am especially partial to the Eberron campaign setting. It was designed to be very movie-esque, with several fantasy analogues to real-world devices (a magical lightning powered maglev train that goes 40mph, for example, and an entire city that's a moving, floating fortress. An entire country that got magically nuked out of existance. That kind of setting.) It's got a lot of decent entry-level modules that can actually take a 1st level character up to 9th level or so in the completion of the series. The backstory and setting is complete enough that you can conceivably homebrew a campaign anywhere in the gameworld (there's an entire continent that's basically uncharted jungle wilderness for your pleasure, too) and most any time period in the setting, which is a lot better than Forgotten Realms, which sticks you in the present because of world-changing events.

I prefer a semi-restricted gaming experience, with lots of roleplay, but also lots of chances to actually use your character. Something where you can do more than just attack or talk, where using all of your characters skills is important. By semi-restricted, I mean I've frequently come across game sessions (they usually don't last long, either) where the DM ha allowed people to min-max and munchkin their characters to the nines by scooping out 20 different sourcebooks worth of feats and skills and inventory items. The problem with this is if you DON'T do that, then it becomes warfare between the DM trying to make it challenging enough for the guy's whisper gnome Rogue 4/Fighter 2/Guild Thief 3/Nightsong Enforcer 1/Occult Slayer 5/Invisible Blade 5 (yes, that's an actual character build i've seen floated around) while not insta-killing you, or having said character stomp all over everything and do everything that the rest of the party would be required to do. I had a game where the DM just threw in the towel because the one guy's optimized psion character (with a high-level wizard thrall) walked all over the BBEG, mindblanked all 30 of his minions and bodyguards, paralyzed him, and just walked away after the first encounter. While I feel a large degree of freedom in building your character is great, there's such a thing as being too free and permissible and allowing munchkins to dominate your entire group.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I played a lot of RPGs in high school and college, I ended up being the DM by volunteering once when the prior was gone. It apparently went well enough that I kept getting 'volunteered' to DM any existing group I joined when the DM was absent.

The inspiration for stories comes from anywhere, adapted to the setting. If you play DnD you can still have inspiration from sci-fi/western/action themed sources by adapting it in a way that fits. Another great source of inspiration is the players, find out some long term goal they have for their character, and add small references or steps to accomplish that goal as time goes on. The hard part for most of the GMs I knew was letting the players drive the story instead of forcing them to comply with the story.

Many DMs would have a set series of steps and locations that the players had to complete to move on. There might be something that they needed to find in one location to proceed, or have a certain set of skills to accomplish a task. If the players didn't conform there was friction and frustration. Other DMs didn't make the difficulty match the players, instead making the difficulty what they could do with the knowledge of everything that they knew as a DM. A common expression was 'how could the players not know that it was important?'

Create the game for the players, and they will want to play it. Try to have events that fit the players individually. Try to let the quietest player shine, but don't force it. Mess with the players that enjoy being messed with or who don't mind it for story advancement.

Some fun that was had:
                    • I had a player one time that had terrible luck and had three characters die in three sessions. On the third death I offered him the chance to play one of the pack mules, and he took it. He played the mule (no fights, just comments like 'I eat some grass') for three more session until they made it back to civilization to recruit another character.
                    • On another campaign a player was possessed and attacked another player's character, severing an arm. A year later they were in some dire situation and they had to choose who would risk death to save the party, and the second player rubbed it in his face to make the first player go.
                    • We had a character in one campaign that was a thief (not the class, just a jerk) that successfully fooled the group into blaming random NPCs over the course of three months in the campaign. She was busted when she was incapacitated and someone found one of their famiy heirlooms hidden on her. Mob justice was had, and she rolled a new character.

In all of these cases everyone enjoyed the unexpected and the conflict because it was interesting and fun, for them.

Have fun!
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The more memorable events i can speak of was during a pathfinder campaign, we encountered a Sand Kraken (think the sarlacc pit in Star Wars) which attacked us with its tentacles. We sliced off all the tentacles after a nasty battle, but the GM said that its body, 15ft below in the sand, was still alive, and wouldn't give us experience. We spent the next hour coming up with ways to get to the body, from using spells to buying shovels and trying to move the sand out of the way. I looked through my cleric's spells, and noticed that i had summon monster, selected with a Giant ant. We had about 10 vials of acid, 6 vials of alchemist fire, and 4 potions of inflict moderate wounds (homebrew). I summoned the ant, attached a horse saddle to it with rope, filled all the sacks with ALL of the vials we had, and ordered it to burrow down into the sand to be eaten by the Kraken. This biological bomb we created did 5 times the amount of health it had, but we got bonus XP for creativity.

While I was DMing, I put the party against a fight they were supposed to lose, so a powerful character could be introduced. I put the party against an Umbral Dragon at CR 16 (the party was at level 8). The Fighter of the party, wielding a double headed battle axe with a x3 critical, critted all three of his first attacks. What was more amazing was that the dragons turn brought him down to 10 HP after his surprise round (breath weapon) and his first turn of wailing on the fighter with all of its melee attacks. The fighter critted three times, and Druid's pet rhino also critted twice. After two player's turns the dragon went from 195 to around 30 HP, after which the other two members of the party killed him off. I showed the PCs the amount of experience they got from my "hopeless fight" and they all started laughing their asses off.
                      Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 02-23-2012, 10:53 PM.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

More RPGs than I care to go through. Table Top, LARP, Minatures. The works.

Sent from HTC EVO via Tapatalk
                        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                          The more memorable events i can speak of was during a pathfinder campaign, we encountered a Sand Kraken (think the sarlacc pit in Star Wars) which attacked us with its tentacles. We sliced off all the tentacles after a nasty battle, but the GM said that its body, 15ft below in the sand, was still alive, and wouldn't give us experience.
                          Awww, players should still get credit for accomplishing something even if it didn't involve death...

While I was DMing, I put the party against a fight they were supposed to lose, so a powerful character could be introduced. I put the party against an Umbral Dragon at CR 16 (the party was at level 8). The Fighter of the party, wielding a double headed battle axe with a x3 critical, critted all three of his first attacks. What was more amazing was that the dragons turn brought him down to 10 HP after his surprise round (breath weapon) and his first turn of wailing on the fighter with all of its melee attacks. The fighter critted three times, and Druid's pet rhino also critted twice. After two player's turns the dragon went from 195 to around 30 HP, after which the other two members of the party killed him off. I showed the PCs the amount of experience they got from my "hopeless fight" and they all started laughing their asses off.
                          As a DM, that is hilarious!
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

The idiot DM decided to have us fight an army of penguins as well, all mind controlled. He applied the Advanced Creature, and Dire creature templates to 18 penguins, making CR3 creatures, with 28 AC with 2d6 claw damage. This was against our level 10 party (same characters as previously mentioned) and it was almost a curbstomp battle in the penguins favor were it not for the overpowered pet Rhino that the druid had. The Lucky Fighter was this DM, and his uncanny luck carried with the penguins, he constantly rolled either 19, 20, or 1s. This fight is the butt end of many jokes within our group, whenever that guy says something outrageous or stupid, we shout at him "PENGUINS"
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I'm trying to imagine how a penguin could possible make a claw attack...

I allowed players to make perception checks to 'study' a situation when time allowed, but they had to go with the insight no matter how they rolled. It kept things moving and allowed for more complicated solutions. At one point there was a floor trap, already sprung, that presented a trivial obstacle that one player deduced could be automatically bypassed by removing armor and putting it in their bags of holding.

The two heavy armor wearers had a rivalry going, and despite the clever observation they decided they could just jump the short distance to show their superiority. It was an easy check, but one rolled a one and the other a 2, plummeting to a very painful spike trap. They made it, and after being patched up continued on their way.

The next trap was a spike trap, again there was an easy way around but they decided to rush it. Once again they failed an easy roll and the healer had to mop up.

After the last one, they get into the final room, and are able to quietly observe a sleeping dragon resting on a pile of treasure. The two warriors look at each other, and one says to the other:

"Let's go around!"
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X