Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Came across this project on Kickstarter.com http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ctical-shooter
    and thought it may be of interest to people here, the game would be designed with PC as the lead platform and I'm liking the general goals he has layed out for the title and that he started out as a PC modder.
    He's looking to raise $200k.

Also an interview with Christian Allen: http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/inter...ellan-llc.html

Some info from the kickstarter page:

About this project

We have assembled a small team, all with years of video game industry experience and a specialty in shooters. We are focusing our initial development on a hardcore CQB tactical shooter.

This game will get back to the core of what is loved about the tac-shooter, featuring realistic weapon modeling, outfitting and commanding your squad, objective-based, non-linear missions set in real-world locations around the world, single player, co-op, and multiplayer.

Obviously, in this day and age, games cost more than a few hundreds of thousands of dollars to make. Engineers don’t work for Cheetos and free beer (although it helps). But it is enough to prove to our investors that the viability of the market, and set up the infrastructure for one of the really cool parts of the project: Crowdsourced development

What’s different about this project

Not only are you getting the game you have dreamed about over the past 10 years but our approach to development will be different. We aren’t just showing you inside the world of development, you will be participating.

We’ve created a set of tiered community levels for involvement – Silver, Gold, and Platinum – based on your level of support.

At the silver level, people will be able to have more influence on the game, such as voting for certain weapons, features, equipment, mission locations, etc.

At the gold level, supporters will have the opportunity to submit content, including weapon models, levels, and missions to go into the game. If the content meets the standards, it will be included in the final game and the submitter will be given full credit.

At the platinum level, supporters will have the opportunity to participate in creative meetings, visit the studio, and much more.

THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE GAMES INDUSTRY THAT YOU WANT THIS GAME MADE.

About Serellan LLC

Serellan LLC is an indie game development team based in Seattle, Washington, founded in 2011 by Christian Allen.

Christian Allen is an experienced AAA game designer and creative director. Prior to founding Serellan LLC, Christian served as Lead Designer, Creative Director, and Design Director of several AAA game projects for Ubisoft, Red Storm Entertainment, Microsoft, Bungie, and Warner Bros. Games. Christian’s titles include the award-winning Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Halo: Reach. Titles he has contributed to have shipped over 15 million units, and earned over 20 “Game of the Year” awards in various categories.

Christian has contributed to several gaming publications, including the Game Development Essentials series. Christian has been on the faculty of the Game Developers Conference most years since 2005, and regularly speaks at colleges and universities on game development topics. He is also a consultant for Guidepoint Global (formerly Standard & Poor’s Society of Industry Leaders), one of the largest technology consulting services in the world.

Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Hmmmm, I'll be asking some questions but this could be interesting.
    sigpic

Comment

Not buying it. He has nothing really to show for any progress so far -- not even a proof of concept -- and for someone who is such a well-renowned game designer, he shouldn't need to be begging on YT for cash.

Comment

I think he is trying to see if there is enough demand for a game of this type before trying to get the project rolling. Let me see if I can get in contact with him for a small interview that I can post up so anyone thinking of donating can get a bit more info.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Let me know if you get in touch with him Dredge, this could be interesting.

|

Comment

Originally posted by LordFuzzywig View Post
            Not buying it. He has nothing really to show for any progress so far -- not even a proof of concept -- and for someone who is such a well-renowned game designer, he shouldn't need to be begging on YT for cash.
            Tim Schafer begs to differ.

It's worth noting that with Kickstarter, if the target amount isn't raised, no-one pays anything. You only pledge to give your money, and it only leaves your account when they hit the magic $200,000.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Nice find. Any game that tries to replicate the real Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon experience has my interest.

Comment

Indeed, an interesting move. Hopefully they can come up with something decent in the end, I especially like how they are being receptive to feedback even at this early stage as their forums are fairly lively already.

Definitely doing to keep an eye on this.

Comment

I have got in touch with the man behind the game himself! If you have any questions about the game, company, whatever post them up here so I can ask them in the interview. From what I have read and gathered so far this project sounds amazing. The entire game is being built from the ground up with input from gamers themselves. If you want something in or not in the game your voice carries weight. A very interesting project to say the least. I'm donating and I encourage everyone else to do the same. If you want "That Game" to be available and played then do something about it. Get the game you have wanted. And make sure to mention VoIP in game too ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Here's some questions:

1. What engine will they be using? (Unity, Unreal, etc) or will it be built from scratch?

2. How will the multiplayer game differ from the single player?

3. Will both teams in multiplayer have a squad leader or commander role?

4. Will the game be available via Steam?

5. Fully functional VOIP is a must have in a game of this type, how will it be implemented?

EDIT

6. Will there be a full SDK available after release or a short time later?

7. If the game does have DLC support post launch, will it be release for free or be pay to play?

And thanks Dredge for taking the time to do this interview!
                    Last edited by Assault9; 03-05-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Here are some more questions.

1. Who else is helping to build the game (e.g. paid developers, modelers)?

2. Do you anticipate you can launch the game with just $200k or will you need more throughout development?

3. If you succeed will you continue to develop this as your sole title? Also what is your risk management plan?

4. Will you provide supporters with alpha builds similar to Natural Selection 2?

5. If published will the game continue to be crowd-sourced as far as patching, release schedules, and expansion?
                      sigpic

Comment

Very cool.

Heres a question:

How will you be able to avoid 'too man chefs' in the kitchen? If I understand correctly we are paying money to have the ability to have input into this game.

For example what will happen if Joe gets a Platinum level subscription and so does Steve. Joe wants a game that has hats and pay to own weapons like TF2, Steve however wants a realistic tac shooter sandbox. Who wins out?

Comment

Steve does because the project is for a realistic hardcore shooter. Why would the other guy even invest in the first place? Plus the details say the core developers have finally say.

Sent from HTC EVO via Tapatalk
                          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I'm a little weary investing in this simply because this is a large project. Until I know he has a good dedicated, knowledgeable team, and a sensible plan for using this Kickstarter money I will be holding off. Also what bothers me is I think he looking to repeat the success of Double Fine's campaign with less than half the resources they provided to backers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Pretty much what DeF says. I'm super wary.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X