Linux version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux version

im looking to use linux on my machine and wanting to know what stuff everyone uses so i can switch to linux and have a fun machine....thx
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Linux version

I loaded fedora on my backup PC and it took me 30 minutes to load an NVidia graphics drivers. I've also heard that playing games is lots of "fun" on Linux...

"Fun" as in "Enjoy solitare sucker!"

Comment

fedora core 3 x3 (trying to get a new server up and running with 2 of them)
      red hat 9 (current web server)
      mandrake 10 (older p3.... no extra $$ for OS, easy way to stay legal w/ software...)
      knoppix live CD (older pII with no hard drive, 2 cd roms... used for DVD/CD/MP3/internet computer)
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

At home I run Fedora Core 3 under VMWare on my desktop. My laptop dual-boots Core 3 and Windows XP. I also use a variety of LiveCD type distributions for various security/forensic investigation/data recovery purposes.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

If I were you, I would load it on a test machine first because your first install or 2 will probably be jacked up as you learn. Could mess up your windows install etc. I advise against wiping your main computer at first. I am not a linux expert, but I've dabbled a little here and there.
          [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
          TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

ive got a 60 gig HD and wanting to use it for linux/vista beta when my boss getts it..im just going to use it for fun purposes......
            -Vulcan

Comment

can you even run any "good" games with Linux/mandrake/fedora/red hat..etc..?

i tried a mandrake box..self installed everything..worked like a champ...then i just sat there and looked at it cause i had no idea in the world what to do with it..i browsed fine..downloaded fast as hell..but it just "sat"...if i had a purpose behind doing it, i would...i just did it for kicks, and ended up with a useless box...:(

wish i knew all that stuff Apophis was talking about in his post..! sure sounds awesome! hahhaahaha:)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas
                can you even run any "good" games with Linux/mandrake/fedora/red hat..etc..?
                Yes, you can. Next question?

Comment

ive used linux before i know what im doing when it comes to that and ive got the linux for dummies book......what program should i use when playing windows games on it...my only problem is installing on linux machine....the whole package thing messes me up
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                    ive used linux before i know what im doing when it comes to that and ive got the linux for dummies book......what program should i use when playing windows games on it...
                    Most games will not run. There are two options:

www.transgaming.com

and

WINE with the directx9 patch.

http://directxwine.sourceforge.net/

Or you can wait for Tactical OS!

http://www.tacticalblog.com/TGMateo/

:row__586:

Comment

yah ill probly just wait for the tac OS to come out...im going to try the vista beta when i get it..
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Yeah, the installation and file system always gets me. I have no idea where my files go etc. I just didn't have time to mess with it.
                        [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
                        TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

im with AV why cant they make it like windows!!!......j/k....
                          -Vulcan

Comment

I use Ubuntu. It is a fairly new distro but has done a great job of making it easy for new people, but also have the depth for linux guru's. The development team had put a lot into to get hardware to work out of the box. They have only had 2 releases but they have been great. There next one is in October and from what I hear they have done a lot. Check it out www.ubuntu.com . They even send you free CDs. You might have to wait a while but you can't beat FREE.99.

Kemotaha
                            Kemotaha

Comment

just so people dont get the wrong idea...this is just a general question and just wanting to know what people recommend.....ive done my research and know what im talking about....keep getting bad rep points becuase some "random guy" doesnt like what i post
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...