Help please!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!!!

Ok so this has nothing to do with gaming or computers. I am getting to my wits end though and thought I would throw this out to the community to see if anyone can offer some advice.

My water pump lost pressure this weekend, since I live in a rural area this is rather important for running water. I found the problem, but it required taking apart the pump. In the process of doing that one of the gaskets broke in half. I have ordered the part from 2 different places since it is an older pump. The first place has sent me the wrong one, and the other one will not arrive for another 5 day - 3 weeks(love the delivery time from that place).

If I was living by myself I could deal with it, but my wife is 7 months pregnant and getting sick of camping in our own house. I am also getting tired of lugging 5 gallon pails of water around for the toliets. I need to find a solutions, however temporary, to get some water flowing.

Here is what gasket I am looking for,
    Any temporary fixes/idea are appreciated!
    sigpic

Re: Help please!!!

Make your own gasket out of silicone or similar material?

Comment

Only silicone I have is in a tube, its a good thought but wouldn't that be rather messy to cleanup for when I get the actual gasket? is there another type of silicone material that I could pick up from a hardware store?

Called a plumber, he quoted me $750 to install a new pump, gasket only cost's $10, tried not to laugh at him.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
        Only silicone I have is in a tube, its a good thought but wouldn't that be rather messy to cleanup for when I get the actual gasket? is there another type of silicone material that I could pick up from a hardware store?
        A kitchen supply store sometimes have silicone products for baking trays, heat protection and stuff like that. Perhaps you can find something with the appropriate thickness and cut a gasket out of that? But Im guessing it needs to be pretty spot on for the pump to work properly.
        sigpic

Comment

Good idea Alvin.

I have managed to rig up a temporary fix now. One of the local hardware stores had (hidden away) a universal jet pump repair kit for a 1/2 hp pump. I ended up reading about it online, no one in the store knew they had it. I have a 1/3hp pump so the gasket was too big, cut out about an 1 3/4 inch on an angle used a little electrical tape and I have pressure again. It leaks a little but better than nothing. It just needs to last until the real parts come in.

Thanks for the reply's guys! :)
          sigpic

Comment

Electrical tape? Aw, I thought you were better than that! Dont you have any Duct Tape laying around? You wont have any leaks with that, ask the mythbusters, they patched a the bottom of a boat and sailed it around san francisco bay with DT.

Comment

I keep 2 rolls around at all times! This just called for a little more finese.
              sigpic

Comment

Plenty of gasket sealers at your local auto parts store. I keep some on hand for just this kind of problem. Not real pretty,but will keep equipment running.
                Sarcoma.

Comment

Dang, wish I had thought of this one.

The Macgyvered seal i made yesterday has held up so far (even without Duct tape). Here's hoping the real parts get here sooner than later though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Plumber putty would do I think

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Duct tape is old school, I switched to Gorilla Tape a while ago, you could make a sweet gasket out of that stuff. It's much thicker and stronger than duct tape.

Best of luck with the little one Hill3illy. :)

Comment

I've heard of Gorilla glue (kicks ass) but not Gorilla tape, gonna have to look for that. So far the emergency fix is holding and the parts just came in the mail. Get to do the actual overhaul now!!

@Bear - thanks :) after 25 nephew and nieces it'll be nice to have one of my own!
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X