J.B.'s Gear Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.B.'s Gear Thread

A lot of us are former, current or in-training military or law enforcement personnel, myself training for Afghanistan in august in the Danish Army. What can help us and weigh us down is the gear we all love and hate. My company has finally recieved the go for purchasing our own pouches, bags and the likes which of course has already made some go on a complete shopping spree.
    I don't want to end up being "Bob on the FOB" who has 40mm grenade pouches strapped to his face because "it might come in handy" even though he doesn't have a grenade launcher, and I don't want to spend money on stuff that falls apart when the wind blows. So this thread is for discussing, suggesting and reviewing gear.

My own shopping list goes like this.
    • Camel bag 3L
    • Battle belt
    • Smoke and handgrenade pouch
    • Utility pouch
    • Mono NVG pouch
    • M/10 Rifle maintenance kit (We use the Colt Canada C8IUR rifle, so basically a pouch or bag that can hold all the equipment for cleaning the parts like the steelwire, different steel brushes, optic fluid-brush-paper and the likes).

So far Pantac seems like a good choice atleast for the grenade pouches and perhaps also the mono. But I would also like some advice from people who have the same function as myself. I am a squad 2ic and functions as a fireteam leader, but also as the marker going behind our sweeper with the spray paint. I will be given a stand-alone 40mm GL soon, so any advice on gear aspects to that would also be appreciated.
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Re: J.B.'s Gear Thread

As someone with three deployments to Afghanistan and two to Iraq, you can never go wrong with purchasing your own gear.

Has your unit authorized the use of any LBE you want? If so I have a recommendation for one that has stood the test of time, for me at least.

Comment

Yep, we are credit cards free on purchasing any equipment. I have however already gone ahead and ordered a Warrior Assault Systems' Elite Ops Frag Belt, two smoke/handgrenade pouches and large utility pouch from the same company and all in multicam for a total of 151.

It really is a jungle out there, but reviews and reads gave me a good impression of their products. But, please, what LBE would you suggest?
      |
      | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Well, as a civvy I have no clue about any of this, but I might be able to throw in some vague useful stuff? Duct tape and garlic salt. Food seasoning? Sounds like a stupid thing to suggest, I guess.

And you damn well better come back safe, or... or something vaguely threatening, alright?

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

J.B I'm unsure what boots you guys wear or get issued but I would recommended getting a good comfortable boot(2 pair minimum) that doesn't hold water(critical so your feet aren't constantly exposed to freezing) blackhawk do a great combat assault boot that I used over there. That frag belt is good,extra molle to run more 40mm pouches(I would carry 12 rounds of HE on patrols)

A good sling.....

Good eye pro, Oakley m frames do the job or ESS. IEDs suck.

Face wrap(you want this!!!!!)

Gloves(good for the cold weather and for searching afghans)

What comms kit are you running?

As I think of more stuff I'll put it down.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

We are issued the Jolly Explorer II M/03 Combat boots which are rather comfortable and is water proof, but that kicks you in the ass when the water usually is just below the knee which is what I think you are getting at.

I bought WileyX Black Ops Valor glasses just yesterday evening.
            I definitely need a face mask. Going 40km/h in -18 degrees and the wind chill factor taught me this back here in Denmark.

We will be running the AN/PRC 343 as PRR and the 152 for platoon and company comms. The issued pouch for the 152 is very poor as I understand it so that's a sure thing to find an alternative to.
            |
            | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
              Yep, we are credit cards free on purchasing any equipment. I have however already gone ahead and ordered a Warrior Assault Systems' Elite Ops Frag Belt, two smoke/handgrenade pouches and large utility pouch from the same company and all in multicam for a total of 151.

It really is a jungle out there, but reviews and reads gave me a good impression of their products. But, please, what LBE would you suggest?
              Took some quick photos of the RACK system I've used on two deployments thus far. Very reliable, very comfortable, very durable. I've only ever replaced one fastex buckle, and not because it broke either (small-arms fire hit me and it). EDIT - Forgot to mention since the RDA, you guys, are using the M4/C8 its well advised to invest in PMags.

Integrated mag pouches are a must, IMHO.

Internal map and SYDN pouch.

Adjustable rear suspenders that can take the load off your upper back. Really helps for those long foot patrols.

There are variations of the BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. Commando Recon Chest Harness, some less expensive than others. Just ensure it is the real deal ($345+ typically), and not some cheap knockoff like the clones produced by the air-soft companies. Honestly, this is the best piece of gear I've ever purchased for my personal use, and I've owned different RACK and LBE systems over the years.
              Last edited by DevilDog0351; 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at about the boots. If you enter the green you can't not get wet,and in winter that's gunna suck. Even though our CO didn't allow us to wear non issued boots, or OC who was SF allowed us to wear whatever we wanted. A lot of guys patrolled in sneakers or low cut boots.

Your comms are exactly the same as we run. We run dual switch PRR. Maybe you could purchase an aftermarket earpiece for the PRR because those round issued ones give you cauliflower ear after a few hours. We all ran secret service type earpieces which are extremely comfortable and still give you good situational awareness. I also had a pair of Tactical command industries liberator 2 hearing protection that plugged directly into my PRR,152 or VIC 3 harness(vehicle crew system) and was great for direct ops when you knew the was going to be contacts.

Helmets, what type do you run. Do they have a comfortable suspension system. If not, I would suggest a gel replacement system.
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former ARMA TGU instructor
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob
                Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Already got the earpiece ;)
                  http://www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=2698 Issued in 2010 and I have yet to hear ill of it from the previous ISAF teams.

Devildog, would this price indicate a airsoft version?
                  http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STR...ss,721,129.htm
                  |
                  | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                    Already got the earpiece ;)
                    http://www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=2698 Issued in 2010 and I have yet to hear ill of it from the previous ISAF teams.

Devildog, would this price indicate a airsoft version?
                    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STR...ss,721,129.htm
                    It's a decent one but it doesn't have the internal mag pouches, which is what you want. Honestly, it would behoove of you to carry no less than 12 mags on you at all times. It's what I did and there were situations were I needed almost all of them.

I haven't used these guys before, but some of my mates and fellow soldiers having nothing but good things to say about them. You can customize your entire rig and they'll build it for you. Good stuff really.
                    http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd-bds.cfm

And these. At least 12 and without the window.
                    http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG211/2

And this. Just make sure it is compatible with your buttstock.
                    http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/cat-rifle-slings.cfm

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X