Apache crash Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] Apache crash Afghanistan

The maneuver is a legitimate training maneuver called a Return To Target. However, they initiated it WAY to low, and slowed down to nearly zero forward airspeed before they turned, which you are not supposed to do. The resulting aerodynamic phenomena that occurred is called Mushing, a temporary stall condition that occurs when rapid aft cyclic is applied at high forward airspeeds. They tried to slow down, but they didn't have the altitude or power to do so. It is incredible no one died.

Did dredge have anything to do with this:)?
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: Apache crash Afghanistan

I'm gonna guess this was at high altitudes. Thinner air means less effective helicopter flight. It's why big boys like super stalions are preferred - they deal with the high altitude better.
    Skud

Comment

Saw this the other day, imagine being in that thing when it tumbles like that. Jeez.
      sigpic

Comment

So that is how NASA lost its funding :)

It's incredible that no one got killed. I would probably have died of a heart attack if I was in that helicopter, scary stuff.
        "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

They we paying tribute to my flying Bolagnaise. I am humbled. As it turns out though, both pilots are being charged by the military for reckless flying. Go figure.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
            They we paying tribute to my flying Bolagnaise. I am humbled. As it turns out though, both pilots are being charged by the military for reckless flying. Go figure.
            Yeah ridiculous hey................ I seen nothing reckless there. Seemed like an ordinary arma flight to me.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former ARMA TGU instructor
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob
            Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

The pilot was hot dogging, performing LA maneuvers he shouldn't have been. He almost killed those Soldiers on the ground.

I hope he enjoys his stay at Leavenworth, making small rocks outta big ones.

Comment

DevilDog is right on one hand: he was definitely performing maneuvers he shouldnt have. I showed this video to my dad (Retired Navy Commander, flew H-2 SAR/ASW for most of his career) and his first comment was "what a #$%*&@ idiot. I hope they make him go clean up the whole crash site with his teeth after he gets out of hack."

Comment

Reason 24657.8 Why women should not drive or fly.

On a serious note, thank god for snow. It def helped cushion the crash landing
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Wow, scary. I agree with you DevilDog, but luckily no one was injured or killed.

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
                    Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                      I would probably have died of a heart attack if I was in that helicopter, scary stuff.
                      I would've had a heart attack if I was one of the soldiers on the ground where it first impacted. If you pause or slow the video enough, the tail boom missed a soldier that was next to the pallets by a few feet.

Comment

If you watch close enough, the rotor assembly misses those guys by mere feet, if not inches.

Very reminiscent of another idiot hot dogger who's actions killed others.

Comment

That was at an air-show, wasn't it?

EDIT: Practice for an air show.

The guy had a reputation for violating safety regs.

This is a case of a bomber pilot who wanted to be a fighter pilot...

Who the hell attempts 4+ G's in a B-52?
                          Skud

Comment

Man this is some doom and gloom. Let's also share some proper flying:

Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                              That was at an air-show, wasn't it?

EDIT: Practice for an air show.

The guy had a reputation for violating safety regs.

This is a case of a bomber pilot who wanted to be a fighter pilot...

Who the hell attempts 4+ G's in a B-52?
                              Bud Holland was his name. His actions, like those of the Apache crew, were the result of thinking you can do more with a airframe than what its capable of. I'm surprised the aircraft didn't suffer a catastrophic wing failure just by making those turns. Point being, pilots whether fixed or rotary, usually have a God complex.

The co-pilot ejected but was engulfed by the flames.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X