Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LASIK - Anyone here got it done/know someone who did?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] LASIK - Anyone here got it done/know someone who did?

This Monday I found out that my eye sight is worse than I thought without glasses. LASIK is now an option if I want to pursue any Law Enforcement or first responder career.

It's not a guaranetee that I get hired but I am looking at one consultation with a LASIK Dr. And am in the process of setting up another consultation with another.

Any of you guys have the procedure or know anyone who has had it?

Likes/dislikes? Any feedback is wanted.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: LASIK - Anyone here got it done/know someone who did?

A friend of my sisters had Laser Eye Surgery here in Ireland and she used to wear Eye glasses, after the procedure she was told to try and avoid "bright light" for a couple of days (week), which is hard to do when you have to move about during the daytime, so she just bought a good pair of sunglasses that wrap around the eyes.
    She would take off the sunglasses in a bright room as long as it felt comfortable to do so, Outside she would wear the sunglasses even if it was sunny or not.

She no longer wears Eye glasses! :) And she had a A lot of praise, she said that everything seemed clearer and that colors seemed more vibrant!

She had a lot of consultation to make sure that she would gain the maximum Benefit with minimal risk, so make sure the advice you are getting is true and ethical.

Comment

My mom had it done years ago when it first came out and cost well over a thousand per eye. She was literally blind as a bat and the surgery gave her 20-20 again. Now adays its even safer with, im pretty sure near 100% success rate. If you have the cash, it would be a good idea.
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Damonte had Lasik surgery 3 years and two months ago. He now has 20/15 vision in both eyes, can see clearly day and night and has no issues with dry eye or such. Highly, highly recommend.

Suggestion, find the most reputable place to do it and screw the cost. You don't want to put your eyes in the hands of the $500/eye clinic.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I had eye surgery about 6 years ago. Since then my wifes sister my cousin and his wife have also had eye surgery.
          No one havent had any problems.
          I myself am very happy about my decision to go fix my eyes. So much easier without glasses or contact lenses. I would absolutely do it again.
          Recently ive had some problem with dry and tired eyes but I guess I should go see a doctor might be something not related to surgery.
          Just remember that dont go to the surgery if your eyes are still changing to worse. The surgery wont stop the change it just fixes the current situtation. My doctpr said that your eyes should have stayed the same atleast 2 years.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
          "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I've had the same prescription for over two years. Partly due to not going to the eye doctor for almost two years but also not really being able to afford new glasses/new prescription.

My parents mentioned that they would help out with the cost and tbh if I do qualify and can get 20/20 in both eyes or better I'd be happy no matter the cost.

My problem is long distance. Though as I write this with my right eye closed I can def see that my left eye doesn't work that well.

Thank you for the feedback. My first consul is Monday morning with one doc who came highly recommended and who takes the insurance I have. Thursday is a consul w another doc who supposedly is one of the top eye surgeons in the northeast but doesn't take the insurance that I have (though the first doc I am seeing is also supposedly a top doc).

At this point I just hope I qualify.

Thanks again.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Several of my friends have done it and they all say it's the best decision they've made. Just make sure you find a good and expensive dr and give him your money.

My stepfather did it just a couple of months ago and he's amazed of the result. He payed just over $2,000 per eye to get the doctor seen as the the best over here in Sweden. I imagine it's a bit cheaper across the pond.
              Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

My wife and I both had Lasik surgery almost ten years ago. Both of our eye sight was really really bad. We have not had touch ups or anything and to this day we are still better than 20/20. We are also in our late thirties. Is the most wonderful thing we have ever done. No glasses or contacts to worry about. It didnt complete remove my astigmatism, but that was pretty bad as well.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Turns out I have dry eyes. Which from wearing glasses the second doc I saw said I would never know really since my glasses shield my eyes.

He suggested PRK. Which is similar to LASIK except they don't cut and make a flap.

This weekend will be spent discussing the two with my parents and called the NYPD Med review Board and my investigator on Monday.

And trying to work out how I can pay for it.

Its amazing how the technology is available I learned a lot this week!!
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

*Bump*
                    Hey all, last month I ended up getting PRK, and currently have 20/20 vision with the possibility of 20/10 in my left eye.

Anyways, I highly recommend PRK, the recovery time is longer than LASIK and you basically sleep, put eye drops in and sleep some more after the procedure is complete (the procedure itself too between 10-14 mins).

It really is amazing how I can see, I've even recently been taking walks at night and it's really amazing.

I did recent pass the nypd eye exam as well but tbh, I'm glad I got this procedure!!

*Also if you are a volunteer first responder (EMT, Fire etc) as the eye doc if they give a discount, inquired and my doc gave 20% off.

Most insurance won't cover it because it's still considered cosmetic surgery.

Now if only I could get a new computer I could successfully play ARMA II!
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

It is like a new lease on life. It certainly was for me.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

How much is it generally?
                        sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

How old are you Randy? My mom was just telling me yesterday that her eyes are starting to fizzle out again. Shes almost 50 now and has a day job which involves sitting infront of a computer all day. The doctors told her though that as time goes on and especially with age they will get bad again, and alot quicker then just aging. Something to do with having to pay up all at once for those 10 years she got back on her sight. I dunno, im not a ophthalmologist..but thats what she was told anyways.

Glad to hear you're seeing clearly now though
                          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I'm 32. I was told once I hit 40 or a few years after that I will need reading glasses which is understandable. I'd ask your mom to go to a free consult with a LASIK eye doctor and from there they can see if they will be able to help her.

The cost is around 4-5 thousand American.

Also after getting the surgery and since I have "sensitive eyes" they advice you to wear polarized sunglasses which for me is a brand new thing but now I see what I've been missing.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...