Anyone know about RFID tags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about RFID tags?

Hey guys, I haven't been around much but I always know if I need honest tech advice this is the place to go!

So I am working at a small company that has some logistical issues I am trying to help figure out and as a lot of you know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed HA HA! But I have been thinking that RFID might be the way to help with real time information issues that my company seems to be struggling with. We work in the printing industry with customers such as Boston Proper, Chicos, WHBM, Pottery Barn and so on. If you know about the printing industry you know that stuff changes CONSTANTLY and RAPIDLY and we seem to be wasting materials and man hours in trying to keep up with these changes. I know the RFID can solve these solutions but in my research I seem to only find articles and PDFs from 2010 and older.

So if anyone knows anything about RFID and the possible costs of it for hardware and software I would greatly appreciate any time and information you could offer! Thanks in advance for any help.
    sigpic

Re: Anyone know about RFID tags?

The company I work for manufactures RFID tags for airport luggage, pharmaceuticals and various other applications, but they are always keen to adapt new business in any sector, they boast 100% readability on all their tags, it is an American company that has a facility here in Ireland, I cannot give you any information about the technology or how it works for various reasons, but feel free to send an email or call them, they are based on the east coast of America and may be able to help you with some sort of solution as they are quite flexible.

http://www.georgeschmitt.com/rfid.html

http://www.georgeschmitt.com/contact.html

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
    I know the RFID can solve these solutions but in my research I seem to only find articles and PDFs from 2010 and older.
    You will find very little info on how RFID actually works as it is used in passports and other security based environments.

Comment

I do a lot of RFID hacking, reprogramming, and general mischief related stuff. I doubt that will help you too much though.

We did look at using an active RFID technology where I work for inventory control, but it turned out to be prohibitively expensive. It wasn't worth it spending $1M+ to secure about $20k in lost assets per year. :(
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
        You will find very little info on how RFID actually works as it is used in passports and other security based environments.
        RFID technology is actually VERY well documented with bundles of specs available on the Internet. Sure, it's used in secure environments, but the security applied to RFID usually surrounds the encryption of the data transmitted by the tag and/or obfuscation of data. So you may not be able to find the exact details on how that is performed within an RFID enabled passport or CAC, but information on the tech itself is widely available.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          I do a lot of RFID hacking, reprogramming, and general mischief related stuff. I doubt that will help you too much though.

We did look at using an active RFID technology where I work for inventory control, but it turned out to be prohibitively expensive. It wasn't worth it spending $1M+ to secure about $20k in lost assets per year. :(
          This is what I am afraid of, I am looking to use RFID to place in our large art folders that hold the proofs of the work we do, but the bags travel from one department to the next and people have to go and physically look from one department to the next across the complex. I am looking for no more than a thousand tags and approximately 10 receiving antennas to keep track of where the bags are and software to help integrate all the departments any changes a customer calls in such as type changes or color corrections on particular pages. That way we can be sure to put a stop on any further work being done to save man hours and materials real time. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your help MrMojay
          sigpic

Comment

Can't help you with your question but here is a rfid music player I put together a couple of years back.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
              This is what I am afraid of, I am looking to use RFID to place in our large art folders that hold the proofs of the work we do, but the bags travel from one department to the next and people have to go and physically look from one department to the next across the complex. I am looking for no more than a thousand tags and approximately 10 receiving antennas to keep track of where the bags are and software to help integrate all the departments any changes a customer calls in such as type changes or color corrections on particular pages. That way we can be sure to put a stop on any further work being done to save man hours and materials real time. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your help MrMojay
              No problem, glad to try and help, maybe you can try implementing a bar code system where every folder gets scanned when it arrives at each department/desk etc. and logged on software that the complex uses and everyone has access to, I know it is not real time tracking but it may help.
              Last edited by MrMojay; 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                Can't help you with your question but here is a rfid music player I put together a couple of years back.
                Did you create this? ;) :):):) Please say you did. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                  No problem, glad to try and help, maybe you can try implementing a bar code system where every folder gets scanned when it arrives at each department/desk etc. and logged on software that the complex uses and everyone has access to, I know it is not real time tracking but it may help.
                  A barcode system would work but there is far to much human error involved or in reality to much human laziness so I was hoping to make it as automated a system as I could. For example as a folder crosses the threshold of a department it automatically updates the system of where it is. The software would allow each bag to be logged and what "round" it is in and if it has been approved to be shipped. An instant messenger type program would allow instant notifications of any problems/changes. That is what I am looking for but I believe there is to big a price tag for what little return on investment there could be. I will continue to research and who knows maybe I can find a more cost effective way to do this.
                  sigpic

Comment

I hear what you are saying, procedures can be put in place to make it a part of peoples job to perform tasks that are required of them.

If it makes the employees job easier they will adapt to it.

Comment

I have very little experience regarding rfid but I did some research for homeautomation purposes. The close range versions are pretty cheap but you need to be within an inch from the reader so you might as well use barcodes. The long range stuff is expensive and triangulation of the tags to determine position is supposed to be unreliable.
                      I wanted to keep track of who was home or not via tags on the keychains but gave up since it there wasn't an easy way to determine if the tag left the house or entered it. It ended up becoming a nightmare to proram so it never left the planning stage.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                        I have very little experience regarding rfid but I did some research for homeautomation purposes. The close range versions are pretty cheap but you need to be within an inch from the reader so you might as well use barcodes. The long range stuff is expensive and triangulation of the tags to determine position is supposed to be unreliable.
                        I wanted to keep track of who was home or not via tags on the keychains but gave up since it there wasn't an easy way to determine if the tag left the house or entered it. It ended up becoming a nightmare to proram so it never left the planning stage.
                        Active RFID is pretty accurate when it comes to triangulation if you've got the right gear, but as you said; it's pretty damn expensive.

As for your home automation stuff; I do this with cell phones. DHCP reservations are in placed based of MAC address for phones, I have a plugin running on my Vera2 system that watches for certain IP addresses becoming "available" and reacts based on that. It's not the best, but it works well enough to keep me satisfied until I figure out a way to get some Kinect sensors running in all my rooms to give me voice control and occupant identification. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                          As for your home automation stuff; I do this with cell phones.
                          Since my son now is old enough to have a smartphone, that might be the way to go. Thanks for the tip.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just throwing this out there, GPS? Forgiving the device requiring recharging, there are many options for the tracking and monitoring of the devices phoning home.
                            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience in this subject. I have scrapped the rfid for now and I am looking into WIP (Work in Progress) software.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X