Adages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adages

So I was playing BF3 on a server where CrazySob dominated me and everybody else on the opposing team and I realized the meaning of an old swedish adage.

The adage goes like this: Jag fick inte en syl i vädret.

Directly translated it would be something like: I did not get a broach to pierce the weather/ sky.
    I have never reflected on what the adage actually meant, but CrazySob made me look it up (you bastard :) ), and I found a translation.
    The translation is simply: I was unable to get a word in edgewise.

Reflecting on the adage and reading some more it basically means that people are doing, or talking, so much that you are unable to contribute anything to the situation or conversation.

So, are there any American/ Canadian adages that are antiquated today that still describe situations suitably today?

It was just a thought and I would love to hear some.
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Re: Adages

Lol... Give me an inch and I will take a mile ;D
    |TG| CrazySob
    sigpic
    Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

Don't burn bridges behind you.

The pursuit of balance can create imbalance because sometimes, something is true.

If there are two or more ways to do something and one of those ways ends in a catastrophe then someone will do it.

so yeah I think that is some more, Probably maybe.

Comment

Most relevant antiquated adage that I can think of is this: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It means, value what you have rather than risking for something that may not be there. The phrase dates back in literature as far as the 16th century.

Also, while they may not be nearly as old (1973 to be exact), if you want some great adages to live by, including my personal motto (Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.), check out this link:
        http://www.angelfire.com/or/sociologyshop/lazlong.html
        The adages can be found under the Intermission and Second Intermission links.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazySob View Post
          Lol... Give me an inch and I will take a mile ;D
          Haha!
          We have that too, but it is a bit more over convoluted. " If you offer your pinky, they will take your whole hand". On second thought, that is the opposite of what you are saying. :)

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
          Don't burn bridges behind you.
          We also have this adage but from the other "side" of things. To burn bridges (att bränna broar) means that you cut someone, or something, loose for better or for worse (mostly for the better I think). There is no going back.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          Most relevant antiquated adage that I can think of is this: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It means, value what you have rather than risking for something that may not be there. The phrase dates back in literature as far as the 16th century.
          We have that one too, it is mostly said in a dry humour kind of way nowadays. "Bättre en fågel i handen än tio i skogen" translates to : it's better to have a bird in your hand than ten birds in the forest.
          I am guessing that swedes stole that one too :)

I guess it is no wonder that these adages have their counterpart in europe if you think about history.
          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
            We also have this adage but from the other "side" of things. To burn bridges (att bränna broar) means that you cut someone, or something, loose for better or for worse (mostly for the better I think). There is no going back.
            Hmm, pretty sure it´s the negative over here in Sweden as well. "Man skall inte bränna broar" (Don´t burn bridges). We don´t have the "...behind you" part though.
            I have always used it in the sense that treat people with respect even if they have done something wrong to you, you never know if you'll need their help in the future.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              Also, while they may not be nearly as old (1973 to be exact), if you want some great adages to live by, including my personal motto (Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.), check out this link:
              http://www.angelfire.com/or/sociologyshop/lazlong.html
              The adages can be found under the Intermission and Second Intermission links.
              I have a sticker on the back of my truck that says "Stupidity got us into this mess, can it get us out?" Wonder how many people will think of that quote when watching their fellow co-workers or gamers... ;D
              |TG| CrazySob
              sigpic
              Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X