Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Build my own gaming computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Build my own gaming computer.

Recently my old gaming computer of 9 years died on me :(. I am looking to build my first gaming computer (by build i mean with my own hands, the last one was built for me). I need a list of parts that i will need to have a badass gaming comp, however I AM on a budget ($2,500 or less). Please if anyone knows how to build a good gaming computer any tips, tricks or inside knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking to Build my own gaming computer.

http://www.newegg.com/
    good place to buy computer parts..

Comment

You can do a lot with $2500.

What exactly do you need to know? Do you just want some pointers or a full parts list?

Also, do you have any preference on CPU or GPU brand? (AMD/Intel or AMD/Nvidia respectively)

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Looks like others beat me to first response but I'd echo Lancer that we'd need to know more about what you like before we could help lay out a system. The budget you've allocated is in excess of what you would need unless your going for bragging rights more than just having a capable system.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
          Looks like others beat me to first response...
          don't worry, happens to most people who get old... LOL :D

Comment

Good Luck!
            Just do what you like!

Comment

You can build a very nice gaming rig for much less than 2500$. Remember that the price difference of the parts are way bigger than the actual performance.
              It's like F1 racing, you spend an enormous amount of money to improve your lap time by only 1 second.

By the way, welcome to TG :)

Comment

This is a good place to start, its not a bible or set in stone but its a decent guide.
                http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...uide,3282.html

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Gave Beinseth a +1 for his link.

The $2k guide is fairly close to what I would build if I could build a new system today. Given some of my quirks though I'd be more likely to wait until AMD's new chip comes out early next year and add a 2nd SSD for the difference in price between the Intel and AMD CPU's.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

LPBronco, I know alot of people like AMD systems and I used to be an AMD guy; Intel systems are just faster at their given price points, period.
                    If I had two grand to spend on a new system, I would probably keep my current i5-2500k, as it overclocks like a monster. I am currently running almost 5 Ghz using a Corsair H60 liquid cooler. I would upgrade my power supply to 850w or 1K w; add a 256GB SSD as I currently have just a 128; upgrade my GPU to a SLI config of 570s and thats about it. The Sandy Bridge i5 2500ks and i7 2600ks are outstanding processors that still outrun almost all AMD and all but the extreme high end Intel processors. Thats not to say this would consume 2 grand, but if I had 2 grand for a PC upgrade, thats what I would do. Just look at Toms guide for CPUs, almost all price point choose an Intel CPU. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-2.html

Here is a review from Bit Tech that even includes an Arma II OA comparo: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...k-cpu-review/6
                    Last edited by Beinseth; 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM. Reason: last ninja edit

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Beinseth, I agree that Intel vs AMD, Intel comes out on top except at the cash register. The guide also used an Intel chip in the build and I did recommend it however AMD has maintained market share by providing adequate performance at a substantial price saving and I'd rather use the money to upgrade storage speed and quantity. Realistically, we use our systems to game and we're not running large CAD files or doing extensive CG which I'd probably prefer on a high end Mac anyway. I'd never talk someone out of building an Intel system but I've had excellent results from my rigs and still running all the newer games on an almost 5 year old system. I got lucky when I purchased my motherboard and have been able to upgrade the bios so I have done several upgrades over its life. I'm, also, a single card guy and would rather not deal with some of the problems associated with multiple GPU's. I would revisit this if I could mix cards so that I could use an AMD card for I-finity and Nvidia for physics but its very low on my priority list.
                      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

ok to clarify thing I want a AMD/Nvidia with high perfomance Graphics and sound it has to have at least 10GB of ram and 200+ Gigs of hard drive space ( i'm going to put a lot of high perfomance games on this computer) it needs to have a very good cooling system (my old comp had constant overheating issues after playing for a long period of time) other than that i'm not too sure on what else i need.

also this is the very first computer ive ever assembled so things like overclocking are completely alien to me as i dont know much about building or modifying them. any other suggestions/ ideas are welcome. (im not going to start buying parts untill black friday :D)

Comment

Razor720, do you have a preference for processor brands? AMD or Intel?

(BTW, should have posted in the Hardware and Software section. Much better place where us geeks are usually roaming around. :p)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

10gb of RAM is kinda overkill. I have 8 GBs and rarely use more than 60%. There have been alot of articles that have discussed the need for more than 8GBs, and from what I have read unless your heavily multi-tasking a system with photo/video editing, gaming and several other multi-threaded CPU intensive programs all at once you wont see a difference between 8 and 16GBs. 8 seems to be the magic number for personal computers.
                            http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rade,2264.html
                            http://gizmodo.com/5836683/the-memor...-for-my-system
                            http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/t...rformance/2354

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Razor720, do you have a preference for processor brands? AMD or Intel?

(BTW, should have posted in the Hardware and Software section. Much better place where us geeks are usually roaming around. :p)
                              I was thinking about going with AMD but after seeing the links Beinseth posted im kina leaning tawards an Intel design. also thanks for the heads up ill keep that in mind the next time i post something about techincal help :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X