My Latest Toy Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Toy Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE

Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE. The MOE has a lot of stock features I wanted such as the stock, threaded barrel, and folding sights to name a few. It looks like I am about 3-4 weeks out from it getting here and will post some pics then. Anybody else have some experience with this rifle? I am looking to get a nice red dot scope right away and eventually suppress it. Over the years I have come to enjoy the plinking .22 arms the best. Dont know if its that they dont kick, are not loud, cheap to shoot, or are perfect for the ranges that I have access to but most of the time when I shoot its a .22 firearm.

Don't worry as I still have my big boys ready to rock in the event of a Zombie outbreak or SHTF scenerio. But really a suppressed .22 like this would rock in that event too. ;)

Would love some suggestions on the red dot scope if anyone has some.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Re: My Latest Toy Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE

My concern with shooting the rifles chambered in pistol cartridges is that unless you actively remind yourself, you get sloppy when you switch back to your rifle calibers. If you want a suppressor, start looking NOW because it's going to take you a long time to get it, and gun laws are subject to change rather quickly. It'll run you about 300-600 USD for the suppressor. As for a red dot, I suggest AimPoint, especially the CompML2, but that's just me. A reflex sight would be a good choice, or this 5 MOA red-dot isn't bad either.

Comment

Yea the stamp is a pain but I figure it is worth it in the long run. I can see them eventually banning the suppressors for obvious reasons but hopefully it will be like the auto ban where anything pre X date is still legal. Will be purchasing it under a 'trust' which makes things a lot easier legally and plan to drop about 1k on it for the supperssor and stamp.

I still have my AR15 but its just so expensive to shoot. You can blow through a couple mags fast and blam there goes $20. And really the .223 is cheap campared to most other things like my .308. I agree you need to shoot often with what you would use but I just get more enjoyment out of the .22 and don't feel guilty at the end of the day for blowing $100+ in ammo.

I will check out your suggestions on the scopes! Thank you for your reply!

Comment

I own that rifle. I have found that the NC star line of equipment is the best suited, You really dont want to put a $900 Eotech on a $450 rifle. I buy from this guy and have never been let down yet.

www.rrages.com
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I was considering the M&P 15-22 for a long time... they start as cheap as 400 iirc. Ultimately I decided against it, simply because of where I live (NY). The compliant versions aren't worth the hassle.
          Skud

Comment

I own an Aimpoint CompM4S, Eotech 512, and various other crappy cheap sights. I chose those two particular models as they use AA batteries. The compM4 has an 80k hour battery life on setting 7, that's 9 years continuously on. It also comes with a quick-detach mount so you can easily switch it between rifles to help justify the cost. I don't recommend getting a cheap sight for any weapon because even if you are just plinking at cans, you want to keep hitting those cans. Cheap glass is cheap for a reason, it tends to not keep a zero when a controlled explosion between 20,000 to 60,000 psi is repeatedly occurring 2 inches below it.

I'm curious and have a question to those of you who have dedicated 22lrs, why not just opt for the 5.56 which doesn't cost much more (can actually cost less if you build yourself), and get a $100 22lr conversion kit? I enjoy 22lr plinking as well and have two conversion kits, they literally take two minutes to install.
            Last edited by Harlequin; 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Because at 5 cents a round why would I want the hassle of swapping out a barrel and lower receiver?

:)
              Skud

Comment

No barrel or receiver swapping, just the BCG and magazine.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/stag...onversion-kit/

Forget about the $100 I mentioned though, prices on these have gone up considerably.

Comment

I too got the black rifle disease. I picked up an M6A2 from LWRC and popped on a 3x and a red dot. Fully tacti-cooled with Magpul upgrades (battery assist, mags, stock, flip-sights, fire-control and forward grips). Since it's a 10.5" 556 I had to get a federal docstamp for approval and one more for the compression twist mounted silencer.

LWRC M6A2 10.5" with can

With the CompD flipped off-sight
                  sigpic
                  I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

My Latest Toy Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE

Just looked at H&K's black rifle .22. That's one fine piece of rifle!
                    Put the bug in my wife's ear when I was looking at a sig sauer AR today. Thing was all decked out with Magpul sights, furniture, etc..... All black and dark green. It was gorgeous!
                    Personally I want to get the H&K'S m416. It's roughly a grand but to see the way it groups in semi auto under very rapid fire is amazing. Personally I think it's one of the premier AR offerings available.
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                      I too got the black rifle disease. I picked up an M6A2 from LWRC and popped on a 3x and a red dot. Fully tacti-cooled with Magpul upgrades (battery assist, mags, stock, flip-sights, fire-control and forward grips). Since it's a 10.5" 556 I had to get a federal docstamp for approval and one more for the compression twist mounted silencer.

pics snipped
                      Sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                        I own that rifle. I have found that the NC star line of equipment is the best suited, You really dont want to put a $900 Eotech on a $450 rifle. I buy from this guy and have never been let down yet.

www.rrages.com
                        Where are you buying EOTechs for $900? I had one, an XPS2-0 that I got for $360.

Comment

Love LWRC! Got a .308 Reaper which rocks!

Comment

Ven what kind of magazines are available/available in your state?

The NY compliant version of the M&P15-22 is just such a pita that I'm sticking with a ruger 10/22. In order to get the stock adjusted I'd have to take it to a gunsmith... And I have no idea where to get extra mags for the bloody thing.

Is there a market for extended/high cap mags for your rifle yet? I've seen none, other than what's available from S&W... which are not bad, don't feel very durable from what I've handled at shows.
                            Skud

Comment

Skud is it illegal to own the larger capacity mags or just for them to be sold in NY? Here it is fairly easy to get the mags. As far as durability, time will tell. However I have a GSG-5 and it has plastic mags like the MOE. The GSG has never jammed and the mags feed it really well. To date I have put somewhere around 4-5k rounds through it but have roatated 4 mags so thats not all on one mag.

If the only difference for you is the 10cap mag then I would get the gun and just start looking for after market mags assuming they are legal to own. The gun only comes with 1 so either way you will be shopping for mags.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X