Star Citizen - Chris Robert's Magnum Opus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Star Citizen - Chris Robert's Magnum Opus

Ever play Freelancer or Wing Commander? If you did then you probably know who Chris Robert's is and if you don't I'll explain. In 1990 with Origin Systems he designed the game Wing Commander which to this day is still one of the best Space Flight Sims out there in terms of storyline and game play. In 1996 with Digital Anvil he helped design Freelancer and although he left before it was complete much of his original vision is what garnered it such good reviews.

Now Roberts is back with Cloud Imperium Games trying to design one of the most ambitious and complete space flight simulators to date. On top of that he is doing it just for us folks on the PC, that's right no consoles and best of all they are trying to do it without publishers. All this is great however it does come with a catch and it's a $2 million dollar one. However to be precise that $2 million is just the seed in order for their other investment deals garnering $12-14 million dollars to kick in.

At this point most people would be asking "What are they going to do with all that money?" and Roberts has explained it all in the green screened video below (CGI & Early Gameplay).

If you want more information regarding the game as well a bunch more videos check out the official website or if you prefer they also have a Kickstarter campaign.

Last edited by DeF; 10-22-2012, 12:03 AM. Reason: Grammar is my mistress!
    sigpic

Re: Star Citizen - Chris Robert's Magnum Opus

Finally, a proper sequel to Freelancer, Wing Commander, Starlancer, and the like. Makes me want to go and play Freelancer all over again (for the Mth time). Now to scrounge up the $60 bucks I need to support it. :D
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just when I finally think there is nothing left I need to spend money on....where is my damn card

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

there is no doubt in my mind i will be playing this ALOT XD
        If you pledge money, and you receive exclusive access to Alpha and Beta as it says, are you automatically in the full game as well?
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
          there is no doubt in my mind i will be playing this ALOT XD
          If you pledge money, and you receive exclusive access to Alpha and Beta as it says, are you automatically in the full game as well?
          Currently if you pledge anything $35 and above on RSI (or $30 on Kickstarter) you get the full game on release (ala Guild Wars style no monthly payments) and the exclusive alpha/beta access.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh, thank god.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- Who will watch the watchmen??

Comment

So this is why everybody has been talking about Freelancer... It is good to see Star Citizen and the creation of a game without a publisher...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Just as an update the project has officially met it's goal and will be happening no matter what now. If you we're on the sidelines there is still time to pledge or kick-in.

The crowd funding effort is almost to it's $3 million mark and it would be nice to see it reached as it unlocks some nice goodies.

sigpic

Comment

I plan on contributing to this project. It just won't happen until the new year as I'm outta funds.

This has already turned into a "love" for me. Might be a nice fill-in for Freelancer 2 which got scrapped.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I read about this a few days ago, the video with him discussing his vision of the game and what he hopes to produce from this game is quite good.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

A quick update on the crowdfunding - They've met their stretch goals up to 5.5 million, and put up a new stretch goal of 6 million.

And you know what? They might just make it. $100,000 to go in two and a half hours.

The concepts look excellent and the plan sounds amazing.

Guess we'll check back in in two years time.
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

UPDATE
                        Star Citizen thy will be done. This has truly been an amazing campaign considering that they will be tapping into even more money because of our efforts. AAA crowdfunding has come a long way since Double Fine's breakthrough campaign.

The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it.
                        Read the rest here.

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                        A quick update on the crowdfunding - They've met their stretch goals up to 5.5 million, and put up a new stretch goal of 6 million.

And you know what? They might just make it. $100,000 to go in two and a half hours.

The concepts look excellent and the plan sounds amazing.

Guess we'll check back in in two years time.
                        They reached it and more. Currently they are at $6.1 million.
                        Last edited by DeF; 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM. Reason: Updated link to thank you post.
                        sigpic

Comment

Great news! I'd like to think this is payback to EA for buying Origin and proceeding to run them and all their brands in to the ground years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
                            Great news! I'd like to think this is payback to EA for buying Origin and proceeding to run them and all their brands in to the ground years ago.
                            And not to mention the fact they rub it in our face with their "fantastic" :row__590: digital download platform.
                            sigpic

Comment

I jumped in this a few weeks ago. Love me some sci-fi especially anything with deep space. :)
                              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X