FarCry3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FarCry3

Who's going to buy this game? I think FarCry (the orginal) was great. I really enjoyed that one a lot. The multiplayer was what got me turned on to TactialGamer.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: FarCry3

I liked Far Cry and Far Cry 2 as SP games. Never played the MP though. Not sure I'm in on this one though. What little time I spend on gaming now is spent playing ARMA and trying to keep up with the ARMA Admins.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Will have a coupon for this game when my SSD arrives, loved Far Cry 2 but only played the single player.
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Far Cry 1 was awesome. Far Cry 2 to me had some of the best guns, the MAC10 was awesome. Far Cry 3 to me looks like another worthy story, however at the moment I rather not spend money on games I could enjoy later.
        sigpic

Comment

Playing it now, yay for a game that releases first in Europe for a change.

Ok, big fan of FarCry till the ending section (game tailed off badly), but loved the setting. Big fan of FarCry 2, a criminally underated game with a unique setting and mood and beautiful game engine, though it had its flaws.

I wasn't expecting much for FarCry 3, due to it being a multi platform release. Well, hush my mouth. I have to say it is epic.

Seriously it's like they combined all the interesting ideas and best bits from 1 and 2 and got rid of the stuff that doesn't work. Excellent setting, great weapons, really cool gameplay. The story seems pretty good. You can follow the story and also drift off track and do open world stuff. Perhaps the most striking thing is the facial animation and acting, absolutely leaps and bounds over most other stuff I have seen. The main baddie deserves some sort of Motion Capture Oscar, he really is that good. Really, really enjoying it so far.

Not one for hyperbole but I would strongly recommend this to any FarCry fan and pretty much anyone else who likes well made games. Ubisoft have actually suprised me no end. Oh and the graphics, well put it this way, it's giving my Nvidia 680 SC a run for it's money and looks stunning.

Big thumbs up here.
          Last edited by Wicks; 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Damn you Wicks, you've sold a game.

I was on the ropes about this. I loved FarCry despite the story and characters.

I loved FarCry 2 despite a few hiccups. I still believe FarCry 2 to have one of the most beautifully crafted worlds ever. Perhaps FC2 was criminally underrated but I think its landscape was criminally underutilized. There was beauty everywhere, but the only incentive to get out in it was to search for diamonds.

They also missed a lot of the big topics they could have touched on. The arms trade is central to the story, but they don't really delve into it. Child soldiers are mentioned, once, briefly, but the topic is never explored. Likewise the sex trade is brought up once, in the context of a mission, then forgotten. And what of Poaching? Ubisoft specifically avoided including the "Big Five" animals in game, and ignores the issue entirely.

Perhaps my biggest regret about the FarCry series is that they are not open to modding. The world is ripe for it! Imagine the world of FarCry 2, but with modified fire propagation, realistic animals and animal AI, faction wars, more vehicles, the sky would have been the limit!
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I knew I wanted this game from the first video I saw of it. I love the Far Cry series.
              Now with Wicks solid support behind it makes it even more of a no brainer. The only thing that worries me is that if it is taxing his gfx card, that just means I will not be enjoying the full luscious goodness that the game has to offer.

Stupid upgrade cycle
              sigpic

Comment

Loved your comments Strait about the untapped potential of FarCry 2. As you say if Ubi were a bit more co-operative with the modding community I think we would see some truly astounding stuff based on FarCry 3. I was reminded of the book 'Heart of Darkness' and the derivative 'Apocalypse Now' when playing it and wished someone with a willingness to take a few more considered risks, rather than tasteless headline grabbing tactics, was let loose with the game engine.

Imagine FarCry 2 without the respawning checkpoint AI, child soldiers where you have to make a choice ala Bioshock, perhaps some kind of persistent 'Reputation' system and a more logical weapons condition system. Another big bug bear was the repetitive drive from A to B, now drive back to A mechanic which they utilised to make you explore. Why, the environment was a good enough reason to explore and if they had spread stuff out like say Skyrim it would have been truly epic.

Anyhoo getting back on topic, FarCry 3 is really, really good (much to my suprise, kudos Ubi) and the motion capture, cutscenes and acting alone are astounding. That's not to say they take precedence over the gameplay, not at all. Simply that they are remarkably good.

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
                  The only thing that worries me is that if it is taxing his gfx card, that just means I will not be enjoying the full luscious goodness that the game has to offer.

Stupid upgrade cycle
                  Don't worry mate, I am terrible for trying to max stuff out lol. If the game doesn't support it, well I download double texture mods. If I can't get those, I hit the GPU control panel. If that doesn't work, I'll mess with the game files. Seriously, it's a proper PC version with all kind of options and even on modest settings the facial/animation alone is entering the 'Uncanny Valley'. Honestly, I don't think I have seen facial mocap like this outside of a dedicated GPU tech demo, it's pretty astounding.

Comment

The trailer is an epic 10 minute job

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9UJ22lBFCU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Looks solid! Anyone tried the coop mode yet?
                      former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Geez Bolo that made me want to goto the store right now. Guess I'm going to have work some extra hours this month for an early present!:)
                        sigpic

Comment

I've tried the coop mode on 360 and I don't think it's up to par with the single player. Sure, blowing up stuff with friends is always fun, but unlike SP, it is very linear and CoD'ish. Also, the difficulty doesn't scale based on how many players you have, it's always set for 4. So if you have less than 4, expect it to take much longer and feel much more like an increasingly generic grind. I would have liked to see them incorporate the open world into co-op.
                          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Acreo and I had our first spin of the coop last night and I'll be looking for others to join in. Where I can't rate it (coop) with the SP, it's still fun and there is room enough to work the 4 F's (find,fix,focus,and flank). After finishing the first play through, I had to reload FC2 and start that one again. Needless to say, the combat in 2 is superior to 3 but the melee in 3 makes up for the difference in the quality of the AI.
                            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

So you can't do all the sandbox-y stuff in COOP?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X