Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new Strategy Game

Hello everybody,

i am looking for a special kind of strategy game for a long time now, and havent found anything yet, why i decided to ask an experienced community.

Does anybody of you know, if there is a good strategy game that

takes place on a compact playground, but is deep and hard to master
    has a strong AI or active community to play against
    plays in a fantasy universe
    contains as little luck and randomness (f.e. hidden cards on the opponents hand) as possible.
    is fun to play and well balanced and developed

and that

isnt grand strategy (like Civilization)
    isnt old enough to have to be emulated (like Xcom)
    doesnt contain (or at least much) kingdom administration (like Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders)

To give you an idea of my taste, hera are a few examples of games i like, but not enough to keep playing them:

Chess, great game without luck, but too sterile for my taste
    Zatikon, a kind of fantasy chess and generally perfect for me, but with terrible graphics and windowed.
    Battle for Wesnoth, a nice game but contains too much luck.
    Magic the Gathering, expensive as hell and contains too much random elements.
    Cabals, another form of Action-Chess. But, besides the poor developement, the hidden opponents hand makes it impossible to plan the own strategy properly.

Thanks in advance and greetings to everybody

Re: Looking for a new Strategy Game

have not actually played it myself, but a lot of people seem to like Defense of the Ages 2 (DOTA2)

Comment

I played DOTA2 and it isn't all that great imho it is more of an RPG than a strat.

TBH I think Natural Selection 2 is exactly what you should try. It is only $10 on sale on steam right now. I think it hits most/all of your interest right on the nose. In the game you have 2 commanders who plays a strat game. The marines play a fps, while the aliens play melee fighting game.

Also this community has a very active server with very skilled players. We work together, follow the commander, and is a lot more fun than any other server I have played on. This game really tests your multitasking as AI can't be creative or pull some impressive skills. It is like chess as a pawn can still kill any other piece on the board so even the most powerful lifeforms can be taken down by a exceptional skill.
      Lights Out!

Comment

Take out the fantasy component and you will be looking at Company of Heroes 2 when it comes out later this year. If you want to go really oldschool, Age of Empires 2 still has a large competitive following. The only scify or fantasy game I can think of at the moment would be starcraft 2, however it kind of fails in the strategy category as a higher APM can win over better tactics which is annoying.

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Did you take a look at Frozen Synapse? It's not fantasy, but should tick off most of your other checkboxes:
          http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14855/ (currently 50% off, and you get 2 copies per purchase)

Also not fantasy, but still solid strategy: Defcon, currently dirt cheap on Steam:
          http://store.steampowered.com/app/1520/
          former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Not fantasy but Wargame European Escalation is a pretty good strategy game. http://wargame-ee.com/

Comment

Im not sure if this fits exactly what you want, But the Newest Xcom is great.

I never played the original Xcom, but from what I have heard the new one lives up to the name more then enough.

Comment

stronghold 2 was a good rts game, lots of resource management type of gameplay, but i enjoyed it. also have the total war series.

Comment

There's not really a lot of fantasy RTS games out, but I would second Frozen Synapse regardless. It's easy to pickup, but hard to master. A tactical game of chess.

I'd also say look out for the mech warrior strategy game, I forget the name of it, but it may provide the sci fi you're looking for.

Comment

There's not really a lot of fantasy RTS games out, but I would second Frozen Synapse regardless. It's easy to pickup, but hard to master. A tactical game of chess.

I'd also say look out for the mech warrior strategy game, I forget the name of it, but it may provide the sci fi you're looking for.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X