Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else pre-ordered the Leap Motion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else pre-ordered the Leap Motion?

Anyone not heard of it?

I pre-ordered it back in May, when I first heard about it, and I was surprised when I searched for it on TG and found nothing. I thought about posting this in the Hardware/Software forum, but figured this is more of a general interest thing for gamers.

I'm curious to see what kind of support this device gets. In the video, it shows someone playing HL2 with it, which is pretty cool, if not as practical as a keyboard and mouse. I would think that anything that works on a touch screen would work great with this.

What do you think? Tremendous advance in UI, or just a gimmick?

www.leapmotion.com
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Anyone else pre-ordered the Leap Motion?

Wow have never heard of this. Thanks for posting. I think it may be great for designers and artists, however i think it would be unfeasible for gaming. Holding your arms up in the air for extended periods of time would be very hard, making those marathon gaming sessions something impossible. The tech behind is very cool. I wonder how good that tracker is and what distance you are required to hold your arms from it in order for it to pick up your movements. This could be adapted into say a smart tv for browsing [samsung already has motion control but it is very very clunky] sites like facebook, apps etc. The video on the site shows also another limitaion of the unit when they are playing the piano, although very cool, it seems like there is no reference for the person to place his hands to hit the correct key, you can see this at the start of the video when he fumbles around with the keys trying to find where to put his hands and is only provided feedback when the key is pressed on screen.
    The lack of feedback[in terms of senses] will make this very hard for users to get use to, as a reason why KB and mouse is so succesful is you have to manipulate both hands to accomplish a task and it provides feedback to the user with all the senses, excluding smell [maybe not for some people].

I still am considering pre ordering one, to test it myself.

Great find:)
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Good excuse to keep your elbows on the table for once. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
        ...it seems like there is no reference for the person to place his hands to hit the correct key, you can see this at the start of the video when he fumbles around with the keys trying to find where to put his hands and is only provided feedback when the key is pressed on screen.
        I know it takes away from the wonder a bit, but I imagine you could carry a little roll-up image of where the piano keys are for reference if you really need to. Otherwise, I think you would get used to it after a while.

I remember being amazed at a bluetooth keyboard that was kinda similar. It would project a laser image of a keyboard down onto a flat surface, and when your fingers broke the beam or something, it would register a keystroke.
        Click to see at ThinkGeek.com

They say the LeapMotion won't work with bluetooth due to the amount and speed of data that needs to be transferred, but I would love to see a "lite" version of this with bluetooth that has significantly less resolution, but enough to use as a keyboard. My iPhone would be so much more usable if I could type full speed just by carrying around a "keyboard" that is physically smaller than the phone.
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Looks like Asus is going to put 'em in laptops: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/a...n-partnership/
          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Yeah I pre-ordered. Not sure when it ships. We might use them at work for in-gallery stuff.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X