Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EA's Troubles Keep Getting Worse: Big Security Flaw Discovered In Origin Platform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA's Troubles Keep Getting Worse: Big Security Flaw Discovered In Origin Platform

Perhaps the timing is a coincidence, but following the absolutely disastrous SimCity launch, in which EA's focus on DRM seemed to get in the way of actually making a product that works, it's been announced that CEO John Riccitiello is stepping down at the end of the month. This is clearly not a planned succession situation, because the company's former CEO, Larry Probst, who ran EA from 1991 until 2007 when he handed it over to Riccitiello is taking over as interim CEO as they search for a real replacement. Perhaps they should look for someone who recognizes that providing a good product that people want to support is a better goal than "stopping piracy." Just a suggestion.
    Check out the full article HERE.

There's a good video, link to details on the exploit, and some other general information about what's going on. Worth a few minutes of your time to at least be informed!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: EA's Troubles Keep Getting Worse: Big Security Flaw Discovered In Origin Platform

It is actually a headline on Bloomberg today! Pretty big news when a company this size makes this kind of misteps. They did not mention the security flaw though...

Bloomberg - EA Ousts CEO
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Re: EA's Troubles Keep Getting Worse: Big Security Flaw Discovered In Origin Platform

Originally posted by Mimir View Post
      It is actually a headline on Bloomberg today! Pretty big news when a company this size makes this kind of misteps. They did not mention the security flaw though...

Bloomberg - EA Ousts CEO
      The security flaw is just icing on the cake. I did get a good chuckle reading that the current CEO was on his way out.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I like it when things go bad for EA.

Comment

They used to have a pretty decent margin too. Investment will drop because of this, obviously, but I wonder how long this will be dragged out before they can recover both PR wise and financially.

They could have made a hundred million if they listened to their fan base and created a sound sequel from the veins of Simcity 4.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Another nail in the coffin, still counting the days they go out of business for the way they conduct business.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I was a long time fan of EA…beta tested many of their titles with Combat Studios and even before when they use to mail you a CD that had the beta on it. In the EA store I guess I still have unclaimed games I got for participation in some of the testing. I don’t know because I no longer have the EA store installed on my computer. They stopped listening to their customers and releasing BF3 without mod support was the last straw for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gore View Post
                I like it when things go bad for EA.
                +1
                I was a fan of them back in the day. Now, just get rid of them!

Comment

I don't honestly know which would be worse. An EA that is continually solvent and keeps pumping out terrible sequels because the few times they try to poke their toes into new IPs it isn't immediately and wildly successful, or an EA that folds and loses the IPs to the likes of Nexon and Wargaming.net, who will arguably treat them worse than EA does.

Comment

The real resignation reason...

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                      The real resignation reason...

lolol

Honestly, when I think of the years that the previous CEO was in charge, we had it good. We had BF2 and 2142. We had C&C that wasn't giant spider bases running around giant oil rigs... Got to be some other goodies we loved from back then that didn't require DLC or Origin...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

EA worst customer support period.

Follow Me On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/M8DMARC

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                          Another nail in the coffin, still counting the days they go out of business for the way they conduct business.
                          I sincerely doubt they will go out of business, at least any time soon (multi billion dollar companies don't dissapear that easily). But hopefully they will learn from all this, and that the ousting of the CEO is a sign of a move towards better practices. This may just be wishful thinking though, but I really hope they do change for the better. EA used to be one of the best publishers around and I would like to see a return to form.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                            lolol

Honestly, when I think of the years that the previous CEO was in charge, we had it good. We had BF2 and 2142. We had C&C that wasn't giant spider bases running around giant oil rigs... Got to be some other goodies we loved from back then that didn't require DLC or Origin...

Bf2 and 2142 both had expansions that we would call DLC today. Northern Strike, Armored Fury, and Euro Forces all required you to register them on EA Downloader. I know this because I bought a disk copy of 2142 Deluxe year after it release and had to go through customer service to get my Northern Strike activated.

So it wasn't all tea and cakes back with the other CEO either.

I think you guys are confused at what is happening here. The CEO left because profits are down...not because customers are cranky about certain game features. You can say those tie directly to profits, but we have seen what Call of Duty looks like today. If anything, the future holds more DLC and monetization with a new CEO.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X