Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA named worst company....AGAIN

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...170932002.html

successful games + crappy business practices towards fans who have built the franchises = .......
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: EA named worst company....AGAIN

Originally posted by Ven View Post
    successful games + crappy business practices towards fans who have built the franchises = .......
    ...Equals apparently being worse than the companies that pollute rivers and oceans, drive people from their homes, bankrupt innocent business-owners, discriminate based on gender; race; sexuality etc., artificially inflate prices of basic necessities such as food; water; and medicine, shut down research into solutions for the energy crisis that threaten their business, and generally drastically reduce the quality of human life in favour of maximising their revenue.
    But oh wait, Mass Effect 3's ending was a bit rubbish and Battlefield 4 was announced too early. Yeah, that's fair then.

Pathetic.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Westy.........you needs massage.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
        ...Equals apparently being worse than the companies that pollute rivers and oceans, drive people from their homes, bankrupt innocent business-owners, discriminate based on gender; race; sexuality etc., artificially inflate prices of basic necessities such as food; water; and medicine, shut down research into solutions for the energy crisis that threaten their business, and generally drastically reduce the quality of human life in favour of maximising their revenue.
        But oh wait, Mass Effect 3's ending was a bit rubbish and Battlefield 4 was announced too early. Yeah, that's fair then.

Pathetic.
        The WCIA bracket that The Consumerist runs every year is voted on by their readers. Nominations for companies are provided by their readers as well. I'm an avid reader of the Consumerist and I voted in nearly every single round this year. Considering the options I had in the brackets, I tended to vote for EA when they came up. Am I pathetic because I voted for the choices given to me based on the nominations that their readers made?

Basically, that whole "well, other companies do bad stuff too" argument doesn't absolve EA from the impressions their own customers have about them. But it IS the very argument that EA presented when they hit the semi-finals to make themselves feel better.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
          Pathetic.
          You know what's really pathetic? Treating a non-binding internet based popularity poll as if it will somehow bring down regulations or should have some deep significance. EA are the only company in that list to even appear to care about the outcomes, aside from Comcast. BoA would probably display the award in their main lobby, they don't give a damn. EA cares for some reason, which makes them the only choice to vote for.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
            You know what's really pathetic? Treating a non-binding internet based popularity poll as if it will somehow bring down regulations or should have some deep significance. EA are the only company in that list to even appear to care about the outcomes, aside from Comcast. BoA would probably display the award in their main lobby, they don't give a damn. EA cares for some reason, which makes them the only choice to vote for.
            Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't for one minute think that any of the companies would do anything about it, in the same way that EA didn't do anything last time, and won't this time. My issue is that even if many of the voters had made the same decision you made (which I doubt), they still voted for EA as "the worst company in America". By just about any standard you care to use, EA are not the worst company in America. (I'm not even convinced that they're the worst gaming company in America.) All this does is reinforce the notion that gamers are a bunch of self-absorbed perennial whiners who enjoy jumping on bandwagons (remember when EA was the big nasty company, then it became Activision? Now it's cool to hate EA again).

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            The WCIA bracket that The Consumerist runs every year is voted on by their readers. Nominations for companies are provided by their readers as well. I'm an avid reader of the Consumerist and I voted in nearly every single round this year. Considering the options I had in the brackets, I tended to vote for EA when they came up. Am I pathetic because I voted for the choices given to me based on the nominations that their readers made?
            This is just shifting the blame one step back. If EA were voted worst because there were no other bad companies nominated - which there were - then why didn't people nominate some?
            (Also, re: the pathetic comment - it wasn't meant as a personal insult, and I apologise if anyone took it that way.)

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            Basically, that whole "well, other companies do bad stuff too" argument doesn't absolve EA from the impressions their own customers have about them. But it IS the very argument that EA presented when they hit the semi-finals to make themselves feel better.
            Yeah, I understand this, and I agree to an extent - I'm only annoyed about, for example, Bank of America's shady dealings because I heard about them on the news, whereas EA have annoyed me directly with DLC etc. It just whiffs of an inability or unwillingness to look beyond the small bubbles we occupy and see that maybe other people have it worse than us. Again, not intended as a personal attack - just the general impression I get from polls like these.

Originally posted by Ven View Post
            Westy.........you needs massage.
            Now that you mention it, typing all this invective hunched over a keyboard is making my shoulders feel a little tight... :)
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I think this sort of follows a trend that many of us have known for years, and I mean YEARS. EA has made many bad business decisions, some stemming from years ago and still the effects are being felt today. I do believe that EA gets the most flak because many on the internet have been backstabbed by this abomination of a company because it simply does not live up to the hype it puts out. I made a list of grievances made by EA and go in no particular order;

1. The Mass Effect Trilogy, well, the third anyway; We all know why.

2. Dead Space 3; for being canned for not meeting the $500 million dollar mark of sales within the first week, then opening up microtransactions and being yet another Gears of War shooter.

3. Dragon Age 2; I heard it was yet another rushed sequel that didn't live up to the hype that they claimed it was, simply limited the options the first Dragon Age had as well as downgrade the graphics. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm fairly certain it has been canned.

4. Command and Conquer/Red Alert; C&C 4 was horrible from what I heard from everyone, they got rid of mining Tiberium over some sort of new resource system and then ended the game on a terrible note. It was not the climatic end for a series of such high prestige like C&C, and alienated the fan base. I haven't played it or seen it, the only thing that clued me in to it was seeing it on Steam briefly. I didn't buy Red Alert 3 because they've kind of beat the franchise to death at that point. They wrapped everything up in Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge, why would they need to revisit things?

5. Medal of Honor: Warfighter; While some will argue with me that it was a good game, it doesn't change the fact that the franchise was cancelled after Warfighter. Not to mention some of the serious bugs they had in the game and it being similar to Battlefield 3, it sucks to see such a franchise known for Medal of Honor: Frontline to be washed down the drain like it was.

6. Battlefield 3; I can't help but feel like they rushed it out the door just to meet the same release date as Modern Warfare 3. It certainly wasn't as good as they claimed it was, the story campaign being finished within the typical six hours it takes to finish Call of Duty's story. But this is just a matter of my opinion, I'm still bitter that they just left Battlefield 2142 to rot in a ditch while communities like ours tried to keep it alive; heck, they even CLAIMED the commander chair was going to be in BF3 but it never was! It was just Bad Company 2 again, on the Frostbyte 2 engine and simply pushed out to show off the features of said engine! Oh well, I'm getting off topic.

7. SimCity; A recent release with all sorts of bugs and grievances tied to it, from not having single player to having Always On DRM to having server issues similar to Diablo 3, I don't need to list them all. Perhaps the biggest complaint I have now is that they claim it is an MMO and that they need the Always On feature, when people have proved that you do not need it at all.

8. The response from EA; The 'We Can Do Better' response from the company strikes me as insincere; the reason why there are 45 million registered users on Origin is because you most likely imported that figure from those who made EA accounts, and to those who had to rebuy the games they owned because you can only install them three times. Not to mention those who messed up registering and had to do the whole process all over again, I can attest to myself having to make three accounts before one of them stuck for BF:2142.

I can respect them on their LGBT approach to gaming and while some of the reasons they were voted for Worst Company are superficial, my main reasons are that they push things out the door in a Beta state and get away with it on a constant basis, it seems. Many of these games they produce are incomplete and sometimes remain an incomplete, buggy mess that they simply hide under the bed. The way they conduct their business, treat their employees (Let's not forget the wife of an EA game tester), miss the points of what we don't like in a game and treat their customers like trash, yet the customers don't seem to mind. I guess they are doing something right. The only reason why I bought Battlefield 3 last year was because it was on the PS3, and I got it for twenty bucks at a rental store. I haven't bought a product from them in the past six years other than that one.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

FWIW: Here's the completed bracket as nominated and voted on by readers of The Consumerist.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Worst popular gaming company sure. But not worst company. Not a fan at how they operate at all but they are not alone in my disgust. Really, who is big and still doing it right these days? Too many projects I wanted to love were taken in by EA and thrown down the toilet. Mass Effect, Battlefield, Dragon Age, to name a few.
                  Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Wow. I must have some issues if the worst companies for me are pretty much all on the right-hand side of that bracket chart. :p

Gosh, AT&T, left them for Comcast and I'm pretty much stuck. I'm in agreement with how that right side played out. AT&T I feel is worse than Comcast from extended experience with both.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X