Tactical OS Rebranding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical OS Rebranding

I had to delete my last post on the blog , in light of the following development:

http://www.linuxmark.org/

Linux Torvalds has trademarked Linux (tm), and is setting about licensing everyone and their dog. With their attorneys.

I don't mind Linus getting his tithe, or trying to control the use of his OS's name, but the cat's out of the bag, innit?

Now, since Tactical OS is a hobby OS, by gamers for gamers, we wouldn't require a major license if we wanted to use the Linux (R) trademark: $200 would be our tithe per year.

Tactical Linux, or Tactical OS Linux has a ring to it, and conveys all things linuxy.

But since linux (little L) is not covered by the trademark, we do not have to. Talk about a linux kernel is fine, under the fair use terms of the trademark, you simply can't claim Linux (big L-registered), and any benefits it conveys without authorization.

Notice than none of this BS actually has a thing to do with the code. The code is free, and so long as Tactical OS doesn't market itself as a Linux(R) distribution, we slide under the radar.

So you won't hear anything about Linux(R) here ever again.

We're Tactical OS, a Free and Open Operating System.
    -Mateo

Re: Tactical OS Rebranding

Actually as long as we don't use Linux in the name. We could use Tactical OS a Linux distribution on the site all we wanted. We could not call ourselves "Linux Tactical OS".

Also you might want to take a look called enlightenment for the GUI, I have been thinking about putting it on my Ubuntu box but I am afraid it might mess up my Monodevelop install.

Az
    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Originally posted by AzrealDarkmoon
      Actually as long as we don't use Linux in the name. We could use Tactical OS a Linux distribution on the site all we wanted. We could not call ourselves "Linux Tactical OS".
      Actually, I'm for avoiding the whole issue entirely.

We can use phrases like "free and open OS", "Windows (Tm) replacement", etc...without ever actually mentioning Linux, the kernel, or Torvalds.

When someone asks, we can say, yes, we use the linux kernel, but I think that saying "a Linux(R) Distribution" invites trouble.

Also you might want to take a look called enlightenment for the GUI, I have been thinking about putting it on my Ubuntu box but I am afraid it might mess up my Monodevelop install. Az
      I've tried the new enlightenment, and I am mightly impressed. When the team finishes the code, it will be revolutionary. Some fairly serious hacking needs to be done to get it up and running, but the end user on Tac-OS wouldn't need to do a thing. I could do it all on my side.

Personally, I'd rather forgo the whole KDE/GNOME thing, and get right to Enlightenment, some good apps, and Cedega CVS.

Then people would probably go: "WTF?" :D

Comment

What about GNU/Linux?
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server