Google Chrome security tip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome security tip

Eventhough you should never save your password, a lot, if not most people still do for convenience. But as this article points out, you should be very wary.

From Russia Today: http://rt.com/usa/google-chrome-password-exploit-178/

Re: Google Chrome security tip

The article basically says you can easily recover stored passwords from Chrome by opening chrome://settings/passwords

Well, this also goes for any IE, Firefox and Safari ... you can easily recover all saved passwords of those browsers if you have access to the machine.

Firefox offers a "master password" option that's used to encrypt the saved password list, but it's not activated by default and not meant to stop a serious attacker.
    Safari on OSX saves the passwords in your OSX Keychain and you can recover all saved passwords (wifi, login data and Safari passwords) from there by using an admin account to unlock.

So basically I am saying this is not a Chrome security problem but a general issue to be aware of.
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Precisely, but all those other browsers atleast took certain steps to protect the user from the average joe. I didnt warn because of hackers. hackers can get to you whatever you do. Chrome is not doing anything about the problem.

Comment

This just seems more alarmist than anything.... Yes, if you give someone access to your computer under your account, you are giving them access to everything that you have access to. With the level of interconnectivity these days; you should view all of your online sessions, accounts, and data sources as part of "your computer" when granting someone else access. So yeah, it's about seeing your big sister's passwords....

I have one of the original Google CR48 Chromebooks in my living room for guest use. ;)

I'm sure they'll end up adding a master password option and most people will almost instantly render it useless anyway and take the convenience road instead. But; If you are this worried about security, make sure you have a hardware based NETWORK firewall, as well as a host based firewall (Windows/McAfee/Symantec/Whatever). Remove any elevated permissions from your user account so you are NOT running everything with Administrator rights and NEVER just run a program "as Administrator" as a way of just making it work.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X