No announcement yet.

Literal's defition has been updated

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Literal's defition has been updated

Due to the widespread misuse of the word literal and literally, the informal definition has been added to the Oxford Dictionary.

Here is the updated definition, copied directly from the Oxford Dictionary website.

Literally: adverb

in a literal manner or sense; exactly:the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’
    informal used for emphasis while not being literally true:I have received literally thousands of letters

In its standard use literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a non-literal or exaggerated sense’, as for example in I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn’t expect him to take it literally. In recent years an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in non-literal contexts, for added effect, as in they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects (we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal contexts, though it is widespread."

Link to the page its found on:

What are your thoughts on this new definition?
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: Literal's defition has been updated

Not a fan... Not even a little. I hate the re-defining words based on improper usage.

If I "decimated" your army, what did I just do? Virtually destroy the ENTIRE army or only kill 10%? The two definitions seem to be mutually exclusive and therefore worthless.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

"=" = "~"
      |TG-12th| Namebot

LIterally in the non literal sense has replaced "like..actually" in the valley girl sense. Shame on the Oxford dictionary, degrading such a beautiful language to appease and accommodate a generation of fake tanned mouth breathers.

Merriam-Webster is in on the fun too!

When did literally and virtually become synonyms?

Just you wait, "irregardless" becoming an actual word is just around the corner. That is as long as the word actual still means what it's supposed to mean, and not the opposite.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed