7 Days to Die - Zombie Survival Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Days to Die - Zombie Survival Game

As if we dont have enough zombie games, there is another one on the horizon, actually it is already here, in its alpha. The Kickstarter was brought to my attention by a friend in another community at the end of July. I have only been playing for a a couple weeks, I only got in after the Kickstarter hit its mark, so I payed more than many early alpha testers. For a game still in its alpha, it is really good, not a lot of bugs, and a TON of potential.

I am loving the game, it is very addictive and a serious time sink. Best of all it is fun to play as there is a constant sense of urgency as you are either scavenging and fortifying your safe house during the day or crafting and mining at night. There is not enough time during the quick day and night cycles to get enough done to feel like you are safe or have enough supplies.

Straight from their Kickstarter

7 Days to Die is an open world, voxel-based, sandbox game that is a unique mash up of First Person Shooter, Survival Horror, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games combining combat, crafting, looting, mining, exploration, and character growth.

In the near future where the a third world war leaves the Earth in ruins but the worst was yet to come. Nobody knows for sure if it was the radiation, the biochemical weapons or an act of god but an unknown virus soon transforms the surviving humans into an army of the animated dead, acting as a single-minded being.

You play a survivor trapped in the savage zombie infested world of Navezgane County Arizona one of the last true Eden’s on Earth. Ironically Navezgane means “Killer of Monsters” to the Apache who have inhabited the land for centuries, and that’s pretty much what you’ll do as you fight to survive and search for the truth behind what really happened.

For a bit of game play, watch this video on the Kickstarter page, it is a pretty good demonstration of what to expect. There are a bunch of gameplay videos on YouTube, but be warned there is a series of them with some horrible commentators who constantly yell in their mic, not to mention make very bad tactical decisions. I wont mention names, it dont rhyme with Ream Etifamy :row__536:

While I was playing Minecraft, in its alpha and beta stages, I was thinking about its potential and how there were so many things that I would change if it was possible. More advanced weapons was one, hordes of faster moving monsters was another, but better graphics was the foremost concern for me and other players. Which is why many texture mods where created for Minecraft. While the graphics in 7DTD are not real-life realistic, they are miles ahead of Minecraft's. Best of all, the zombies give you lots of those "Oh $h1t!!, another zombie eating my face" moments. Especially in dark basements and barns as they become faster and more deadly in the dark.

The multiplayer aspect of the game is why I am bringing it to the attention of the mature players here at TG. I want to know if anyone has any interest in playing the game, I have been considering getting a small server myself if needed.

I have joined a few multiplayer servers that were in utter childish chaos, tons of griefers(destroying fortifications), the pillagers I dont mind, kind of the point of the game. Then there are the server owners (and their friends) who out right kill anyone who comes close to "their town" or camps, their way of dealing with pillagers and suspected griefers, without any warning. So I was hoping that there would be a few TG who would be interested in playing and grouping up for some serious teamwork gameplay.

Post here if you have any interest, we can hook up in TS and figure out something, even if it is just to raid someone's server.

P.S. .. I thought I should toss out a warning to anyone interested in buying right now. The company is being swamped with orders, so it takes about 24 hours(longer on weekends, probably wont get it until Monday) for keys to be sent out, as they generate new keys. The issue is outraging many people, as the payment page says "play now", when in fact you have to wait for a key to be e-mailed to you.
    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
    E Pluribus Unum
    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Re: 7 Days to Die - Zombie Survival Game

Somebody made the connection that the Minecraft craze + the zombie craze = money printer.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

It looks interesting.

Anyone interested in seeing the current gameplay here is a good let's play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSx2...dYbfrx0ZmN3ySK
      Last edited by Scattershot; 09-14-2013, 09:29 PM.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

If you havent picked it up yet, I'd advise waiting. So far the progression through builds has been relatively slow. We just got alpha 1.1 two days ago, and while there were a few tweaks with exploits and such, its' still very raw. Zombies know where you are even if you're hidden in a cave under 30 levels of rock, which is supposed to change in alpha 2. Also, building things is limited to basic block-building, so you cant yet create roofs or anything of the sort. Basically, wait.

Comment

looks like its got some huge potential! defiantly going to keep my eye on it!

Comment

I'm looking for a 10-15 dollar pricetag, before I'd invest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              If you havent picked it up yet, I'd advise waiting. So far the progression through builds has been relatively slow. We just got alpha 1.1 two days ago, and while there were a few tweaks with exploits and such, its' still very raw. Zombies know where you are even if you're hidden in a cave under 30 levels of rock, which is supposed to change in alpha 2. Also, building things is limited to basic block-building, so you cant yet create roofs or anything of the sort. Basically, wait.
              I could see wanting to wait, if you are really worried about the progression of patches, but I think they have been working double time on the back end of the business, as they have finally sorted out the billing and distribution of keys. I say that because someone(ogMogul/Kafer) who bought the game last night was issued a key in an email immediately.

I know it is bit annoying that the zombies make a bee-line to you, especially if you make any noise or have anything that smells on your person. There are many ways to work around the zombies being after you like they are, during the day, I just drag them away from where I want to go, as they are slow and easy to attracted with noise. The best way to stop them from destroying your fortifications above ground is to dig a long horizontal tunnel away from your "castle/fort". Then spend most of the night at the end of the tunnel, either lengthening/mining the tunnel of crafting there. That causes the hordes to attack the ground directly above. Like the house 3 doors down the block from my "fort" that is being destroyed by them, which I have filled with spike traps to kill many of them, lessening the damage they do.

Sure it would be nice to have a full set of items to craft right now. But roof tiles is low on my list of items I want to craft, actually not even on my list . :) I want more food recipes for all the food items, especially using corn. Most of all I want to be able to save the glass jars after using them for water, as drinking water is the most used item in my inventory, maybe a refillable canteen, or water glass that can be filled at water sources. I cant make barbed wire fences at the moment, even when I have the needed materials on me, which is really annoying. Nor can I figure out how to use the cooking pot/stove, even after reading how it is supposed to work.

There are also some nasty bugs that need to be addressed, like the "OMG, I cant see the rest of the world bug", where most of the world was not rendering for me at times on my multiplayer server... so I could not leave a quadrant of the world without falling through the world, and dying.

Mostly, the one where, if I click on the middle mouse button(my push to talk), while hovering over anything in my inventory, it makes that item/stack turn to (0), basically destroying that item/stack. I found this by accident, while talking in TS, at first, I was able to do this to some items/stacks and double that item/stacks, but trying to reproduce the bug more than a few times, found that is was deleting the stack/item most of the time.

Either way, I am enjoying the hell out the game. I really enjoy the tower defense aspect, and the whole scavenging for survival aspect. I think the game a has so much potential. I broke down and got a 4 man server last night, as I didnt want to run it from my box and my awesome DSL connection, so ogMogul/Kafer and I could do some co-op last night/this morning. Sooo, if anyone wants to join us, hit me up here, I will get you the server info.

And UnDead, . . . no comment, Mr. Ihave300+steamgames .. I see you breaking down in the future :row__536:
              E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Bump

Now available on steam! (well has been for a couple weeks)

Alpha 6 was released a few days ago, 6.1 released 2 days later to fix some bugs that were obviously overlooked. IMO, they were known to some players in A5, but not divulged to the developers, then when A6 hit, those bugs were very obvious.

The list of changes are too great to post here, but you can see them here. One of the biggest changes is the new forging system, which allows the player to make or break down just about every object in game. Including making ammo and weapons. Ammo was also changed from clips or magazines to individual shells, which is what is crafted. Drastically changing the way players used the shotguns, which used to be a full reload from one shell, down to individual shells.

Many of the items and blocks have had their textures updated since Alpha 2, some items were updated in each release, it looks a lot better than it did. The zeds on the other hand are still very crude, and often get very distorted when killed and interact with any object in the world, including grass. Definitely something they need to work on.

One of the greatest adds, is a new “suck nearby items” function: when you hold E, all items on the ground in a 4m radius get moved towards the player and auto-collected. In the past, you had to click E on each item to collect them, which was really annoying when mining.

Although the AI of the zeds was not improved, yes they bee line for you, no matter where you are, if you make any noise. I swear they have either A: increased their damage output, as they keep breaking into my house and killing me in the night, or B: reduced the armor rating of many of the blocks. I think it is the second, as I can now break wood plank blocks with one swing of the fireaxe.

They also seriously increased the number of zeds that spawn in the city, and around the buildings in the world, day and night. Which might also explain why they keep breaking into my house and killing me. In the past, I could live for weeks or months without dying, or taking any damage. With this new build: In my first week(after the first night of holing up in a hunting cabin), I have died almost every night so far, as the number of zeds is too many for me to dispose of while fortifying my house properly. The game is definitely moving toward being a co-op game, as playing solo means you are spending most of your time killing zeds and collecting items near home, than fortifying and building the massive bunkers that were being built in previous builds. In other words, you need one person to kill zeds while one person builds. The more the merrier.

Ferris, is right. . . for the most part, building bunkers is pretty limited to square blocks. But there are ways to create vaulted ceiling/roofs. One way is in creative mod (cheat mode), giving you access to all the blocks and items in the game. Although some blocks are not so easy to find in pages, or may be missing from those pages . . yet can be found through the search option. The other way, there are recipes to create those blocks, but they cost more than they should, and will break if not placed correctly, and the whole roof will collapse while trying to build it without proper support. In other words, way more work than it should be. I will add that the vaulted roof blocks seem to have a low armor rating, as the "spider zombies" can dig through them really quick, if you are hiding in the attic. And once the roof has been compromised(one block missing), the whole roof will collapse with out proper support, leaving the whole house open for attack from above. Which means, instant death, as I had 3 spiders on me instantly.

They are going to introduce "smooth terrain" in the future, so that vehicles can be introduced, and hopefully reduce the amount of jumping need to traverse hills.
                E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Its on sale on Steam for $23.44 until the 14th .. a 2-pack for $33.49.

I have not been playing it as much as I would like cuz it has become to point where you need to play it as co-op.. well on a multiplayer server. As there is just not enough time to fortify your home, gather resources, forge and or mine without watching/killing the zeds(a full time job) by yourself, in single player. And if you play on a public server the trolls and hunters just make it unfun. And most private servers want you to play for their community, under someone's strict tyranny, "Go mine this area with a pick axe for 4 hours, and we will keep you fed and water'd". I guess someone has got to do it.
                  E Pluribus Unum

Comment

I know Undead bought it during the summer sale.. Anyone else buy it? I am wanting some good multiplayer.
                    E Pluribus Unum

Comment

We now have a good dedicated MP server going, about 8 players from TG playing on it (not on a full time basis). . . a couple people bought it this week. Anyone who wants the server info and PW, add me on Steam(name in my sig below), and I will get you hooked up.

Alpha 9 was released last week, 9.1 was released this week.. a ton of new improvements .. it has completely changed since I started playing it a year ago. Even though it is still a Alpha, it has come a long way, and a ton of things they want to bring in before it is actually released. No longer the better looking Minecraft. They introduced smoothed terrain a while back, and now random generated worlds that literally will generate with no limit to size (being tested, may change in the future)
                      E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed