SteamOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS

First announcement has been made, I called it, days ago! The push towards Linux, and open source, I kinda figured this would happen. Exciting.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Re: SteamOS

Exciting indeed, I will surely try this out on my living room pc, sounds great.
    Last edited by MrMojay; 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM. Reason: Loving to living

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
      Exciting indeed, I will surely try this out on my loving room pc, sounds great.
      steamOS for the loving room, sounds great ;)
      former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

opps fixed.

Comment

Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.
          HL3? :p

In all seriousness though I'm very interested in how they accomplish the windows / mac streaming as that would eliminate the problem of a lack of games / developers at launch of a new platform.

SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers.
          The ability for third parties to take the OS and put it on their own devices is super awesome also, we've seen how successful this can be with android and although SteamOS will presumably be more narrow focused than Android its still pretty exciting to think of the possibilities!

Comment

I'm too lazy to find the answer so can someone please explain the significance(?). I thought Steam's Big Picture brought the PC into the living room so how's this differ?

Also, I'm assuming the Linux (SteamOS, is it Linux? or something else?) operating system is meant to compete with Microsoft or Apple so how is it configured? Microsoft has a monopoly on the PC market so how does one use Linux? Can they be operated together? I suppose if you built your own rig you could just immediately install it but I'm guessing built it yourself is a minority of PC users.
            Last edited by TheFatKidDeath; 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM. Reason: Confused
            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
            "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
            - Check me out on The Onion
            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.
              AAA is 3 letters, the number 3 comes after the number 2

HL3 confirmed!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                I'm too lazy to find the answer so can someone please explain the significance(?). I thought Steam's Big Picture brought the PC into the living room so how's this differ?

Also, I'm assuming the Linux (SteamOS, is it Linux? or something else?) operating system is meant to compete with Microsoft or Apple so how is it configured? Microsoft has a monopoly on the PC market so how does one use Linux? Can they be operated together? I suppose if you built your own rig you could just immediately install it but I'm guessing built it yourself is a minority of PC users.
                It does use Linux. You can use vm to run a system within a system, but i doubt that is what you are asking. We use Linux where we can in the server world, it is a better OS for that. We only roll with Windows when the application requires it. I wouldn't call this a competiton for the pc market. More of a compeditor of the console and gaming market.
                Lights Out!

Comment

Adding to what solarity has said, it is absolutely possible to multi-boot various operating systems, either via virtual machines or installation partitions. However, as you have said it wouldn't really make any sense for Valve to compete with MS or Apple as they don't have the experience or capacity to develop an OS for the wide variety of applications that Mac or Windows have. What they do have though is by far the largest digital gameing platform on PC with a large, loyal user base that has already proved they are interested in living room / console gaming. We have seen this both in the Steam release for PS4 and more recently with Big picture.

What we have with Steam OS is big picture taken to the next level. Sure, to the end user the interface and interaction with the actual games will be pretty much the same. However, under the hood we are seeing the possibility for a whole plethora of changes. With Steam OS combined with Steam Box we are seeing a dedicated, open source, gaming specific machine. The potential in a system like this is incredible and you can see Valve demonstrating this with the Steam Controller, which isn't an integral part of the Steam Box but an entirely optional extra. Imagine what could be developed when this thing goes public and the entire world gets its hands on it.

So your right in saying that this won't compete with Mac or Windows or any other Linux distro for that matter, but what it could do is mark a huge paradigm shift in console development and unlock gaming on PC from the windows monopoly.

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                  AAA is 3 letters, the number 3 comes after the number 2

HL3 confirmed!
                  http://uk.gamespot.com/news/valve-tr...life-3-6415182

;)

Comment

The specs for the first valve prototype 'Steam machine' have been released:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...28928746175450

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
                    GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
                    CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
                    RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
                    Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
                    Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
                    Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
                    This isn't a massive deal, because as they've said in the announcement 3rd party developers and individuals will be able to build and upgrade whatever they want and put Steam OS on it, but it's nice to see the kind of direction they envision the hardware to be going.

Comment

This seems to be progressing nicely. There are already big name games from "big name" publishers neing released for Windows and Linux. Natural Selection 2, ArmA Tactics. Wanted to install Natural Selection 2 but its multiplayer only. Here's ArmA Tactics (also released for Windows and Mobile devices) running through Steam, on Linux.

ArmA Tactics downloading ...

STEAM_LINUX_ArmA_Tactics_Downloading.jpg

Game play ...

STEAM_LINUX_ArmA_Tactics_Screen2.jpg

STEAM_LINUX_ArmA_Tactics_Screen7.jpg

STEAM_LINUX_ArmA_Tactics_Screen10.jpg

May the ports keep on coming !

Here's a pithy comment from Randy Pitchford (Gearbox) that undoubtedly has some rather facetious satirical meaning that only he is aware of (?) ...

Gearbox Software head Randy Pitchford agrees that the key will be the installed base, and importantly, Valve will need a killer app to prove the potential of Steam Machines and that new controller, he said.

"Ultimately, without that must-buy product driving us all towards this stuff, I expect that the industry at large will watch curiously, but remain largely unaffected"

Randy Pitchford

"I imagine that some developers may choose to think about unique applications with new interface approaches if an installed base becomes sufficiently appealing. There is always a chicken-and-egg problem here and the last time Valve was able to motivate us to wade into a new paradigm, they attracted us there with a product - I was forced to install and use Steam in order to play Half-Life 2. Given that, I would be thrilled if Valve announced a product that I already knew I wanted that was designed to use their three newly announced components (os, machine, controller) and that could not exist but for those three new components," Pitchford commented.

"That kind of announcement would really help us all understand the necessity of their invention here. But we all know that product would probably have to start with an H and have a 3 at the end and it would sound like 'Half-Life 3.' But alas I would be very surprised indeed if we see any worthy movement on that front, as I do not expect another true successor Half-Life game from Valve for quite some time - possibly never."

He continued, "Ultimately, without that must-buy product driving us all towards this stuff, I expect that the industry at large will watch curiously, but remain largely unaffected by anything Steam does along this vector of OS, machines and controllers over the next two or three years. If the must-buy product appears driving us there or sufficient time goes on where an installed base starts to emerge, more and more folks will move from being curious to being investigative with the possibilities."
                      "Steam news only a "curiosity" without a must-buy like Half-Life 3 - Pitchford" Games Industry International

If games can run faster, with less barriers for developers, with increased competition in the games market then that's got to be a WIN WIN situation :icon_lol:
                      Commandante Poet-Soldier -{[Another-World-Is-Possible]}-

Comment

Originally posted by PaintScratcher View Post
                        HL3? :p
                        Time, Dr. Freeman. Is it really that... time again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cgH6MiYf8

Mom
                        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                        Forever Perplexed

Comment

Valve are obviously keeping very quiet about HL3. But it's obvious they are going to use that leverage when the time comes. But I don't see why it has to be dependent on HL3. There is already a Linux version of Metro Last Light which has some problems on my Debian system (Steam Linux is really designed for Ubuntu) but its obviously an early version. We'll really know when things start moving when the Unreal engine has a Linux release as well as the other well used engines. Of course there have been Linux engines all along like Unity for example.
                          Commandante Poet-Soldier -{[Another-World-Is-Possible]}-

Comment

two touchpads for joysticks you say? i say what could be better? :)

Comment

Has anyone tried SteamOS yet?
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse