Mass Effect 3 (finally played it)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect 3 (finally played it)

So I bought Mass Effect 3 N7 edition last march when it was released, and FINALLY got around to investing some time in it over the past month or so. Hit around 55 hours into it, and I finished it this morning. Been a long time fan of the series (played all of them), and took my time playing them so I could soak up the story\missions etc. Played the same character all the way through ME1 - ME3.

I also bought the citadel expansion/leviathan expansions before completing the game. Both were quite good. Been a fantastic series to play. Then, the ending came and I was baffled at how much better it should have been. I'm a bit late to the party but here's what I thought:

SPOILER ALERT

Space child? The same ending with different colored explosions? The player decisions leading up to that point, didn't really mean anything? You finally get all the races to sing Kumbaya together, then some non-sense about synthetics always kill organics, even though you clearly demonstrated that its possible for them to live together?

It didn't seem very well thought out to me. What I felt would have been a MUCH better ending:

1) Joker (and EDI?) drop off rest of crew besides themselves into battle.

2) Other crew members are fighting with you almost to the end but gradually die off in the lead up to the end, each going down in an appropriate fashion. A few will survive depending on your readiness level\action from current and previous games.

3) Last of remaining crew dies supporting you. Romantic interest is the last to go if you had one.

4) Anderson kills the illusive man to protect shepard, but dies in the process.

5) Joker (and EDI?) sacrifice the Normandy (in an epic fashion) to save Shepard from some impending doom so he can finish his mission.

6) Shepard sacrifices himself to save galaxy.

I just think most everybody fighting to the end would have been more satisfying than the convoluted mess that made it into the game. Lots of other little things, like when Anderson and Shepard were looking onto earth in an extremely low res graphic that could have been done better.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Mass Effect 3 (finally played it)

I think you played with the updated ending which sounds a whole lot more interesting then what I got. I don't remember exactly the details but I do remember being royally TO'd!
    I sat there for 30 minutes deciding what choice to do and then I got the exact same ending with a different colored explosion.... I have never touched my ME3 since then.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comment

I stopped playing Mass Effect with the first one. I couldn't figure out how to get the DLC to work, but the experience I was given was pretty good. Then I saw the second one and entered my 'Too smug to play yet another run-and-gun shooter' phase. Then shortly after 3 was released, I had the ending spoiled for me and well, EA loves to completely ruin its franchises.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

The combat wasn't anything revolutionary, but it was generally fun. I think the development of the different characters and the interesting story is what kept me playing to the end. Surprising how you become a bit invested with the characters and their fates, then have a mediocre uninspired ending to the series. I guess it could have been worse. I think the Citadel DLC was a better ending to the series than the actual ending, though.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...