Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marijuana legal in CO now... Where do you stand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana legal in CO now... Where do you stand?

What I wonder... and what us K9 cops were always concerned about it becoming legal, which I support BTW, what happens with all those police dogs that have been trained to detect marijuana? You can't un-train a odor, especially after years of your dog detecting it... so all those dogs would have to be retired and new ones bought and trained for the illegal drugs only. Because the dog's alert on illegal substances is what gives the officer probable cause to conduct a search of the vehicle, if the dog alerts on MJ, and you search the vehicle without permission, you've just violated that citizens constitutional rights?

I wonder?

(BTW admins... I've requested posting rights in the sandbox weeks ago... still waiting.)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Marijuana legal in CO now... Where do you stand?

I all for it. Growing up, I always wondered where the logic was in allowing one type of mind altering substance (alcohol), but denying all others. I've long thought that most drugs should be legal and regulated like the alcohol/tobacco industries. In my way of thinking this does 2 things. It generates revenue where now there is a huge expense (the war on drugs). Secondly, it removes the organized crime incentive. I feel that people who are going to be susceptible to abusing drugs would abuse them legal or not. I don't think its going to change the statistics much.

Comment

You know I've never thought of that Magnum. I'd hope the dogs wouldn't get thrown under the bus. Over all since Marijuana is still a controlled substance I think you'd would not have violated anyone's rights but this is a really important wrinkle that hopefully gets tactfully addressed.

On my opinion of it being legalized, personally I have no issue with it being legal but I do not go to the extent of draeh. I think there is a reason why certain mind altering drugs should not be legal for use and pose even riskier ethical quandaries about those who choose to sell them. (What kind of a person willingly sells an alcoholic alcohol daily/weekly? Who can be comfortable profiting off of someone else's ailment?)

Its all an interesting societal question though.

Comment

I was educated by my parents about the truth of drugs at a young age, what the effect's are personally and on society, why some are legal and others are not. Who profits and who suffers. While there are terrible drugs out there, MJ is not one of them. The war on drugs cost the tax payers a lot of money, but not near as much as it would cost big business if it were to become legal. So many uses for hemp that would solve many of our problems today, so many cures and relief for people suffering from some disease. The pros greatly out way the cons for everyone except big business and big pharma. In fact the only con i can think off is the one you posed Magnum. I could go on for hours listing all the benefits, but personally I just enjoy being able to relax at the end of the day, reflect on the days events and play a little BF4 with my online friends. Although I do believe it should be regulated, I don't want people operating heavy machinery or a doctor stoned while performing there tasks. For me that all comes down to proper education and dropping all the BS scare tactics the war on drugs has created. Want some advise? Invest in hemp! Soon as MJ is dropped from the feds class 1 drug list we will have a healthier economy, greener environment, and half the prison population would drop, which isn't going to make the private prison system very happy. If only they could figure out how to deal with the munchies ;)

Comment

I don't even know if my concept of society asks that question.

First off, Draeh's assessment is more based on a common sense based 'living in the now' approach.

However while asking the question "what is better for people" there is zero evidence of pot being addictive in it's natural form without anything else mixed in it. I don't do it, EVER, but I also believe that drug is probably more safe to habitually use THAN alcohol even more so than say Heroin or Crack. Also, we sell cigarettes and they are highly addictive AND destructive to the human body, why is that ok and not the others? Isn't that selling something to the person's detriment, why draw the line there?

The question as to whether to ban or sell controlled can't be blurred with the 'what is better' because we always will have the bottom feeders.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

The not addictive thing is a lie. It is, it won't pull on your heart and brain strings like nicotine , but its not as safe as puppies either.

There was a time I was against legal MJ, but at the time it would have negatively affected my work.

Now I'm all for it. Cash rules everything around me, Cream.

Tax it.
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

If you wouldn't do it drunk, don't do it when you're high on green. Pretty simple imho.
              sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
              [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

I don't really care about people smoking hemp. I remember when I was becoming an Eagle Scout, I used to be very anti-drugs because that's what they teach you in school. Around the same time my dad broke his leg, I got stuck sitting next to people who pretty much lived the opposite life of me; drank underage and used drugs, refused to conform, even did illegal things. It really did change my opinion on things, and helped me see it from their perspective. They weren't evil or aggressive or even pressured me to use drugs, they were just normal people like me. Being from an industrial town, it's obvious why you shouldn't smoke before coming to the workplace but if it becomes legal around here, I wonder how their policies would change. They could have anywhere from one quarter to one half of their workers smoking green, and I'm not sure if the pee test would be a viable way to see who was smoking on the job.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

In the past decades there have been basically a lot of propaganda surrounding the use of MJ. All portraying it to be this evil product. Low and behold, it is actually a very beneficial product and can be used for many things other than just smoking it. If a drug had to be legal then Marijuana should had been that legal drug as it is quite obvious now that alcohol is a leading cause of death in a lot of countries from drunk driving, OD etc.. And Marijuana related deaths add up to pretty much 0 in every country.

I am not actually condoning the use of Marijuana, but I am glad to see that common sense is prevailing instead of the 100 year old dogma of "MJ is the devil".

Comment

Comment

I guess I'm "for" the legalization from a pure bodily autonomy standpoint. I only get nervous because of the prospect of an out of control spending government trying to draw more tax money from something they have no right to tax. What do I mean by that? Say it was just across the board legalized tomorrow - and the government got it's hands on it for a sin tax like Cigarettes, and then big tobacco started producing it for retail. That sounds like a freaking nightmare to me. And people counter this arguement with saying "well maybe they'd use the tax money from MJ to help people."

Wrong. Dead wrong.

They'd just use it to fund another drone strike, or inadvertently create another monster industry like the tobacco industry. And while MJ has no real addictive properties, imagine if big tobacco decided to put nicotine in it?

All of this is a very strange point of view from what I've read online.

I guess tl;dr I'd rather just have the government completely hands off the entire situation. Because of this I much prefer decriminalization. Growth and possession up to a certain amount. You're not some cartel mule if you have a personal amount, or some growing in your backyard. If you just make enough for yourself, friends, or family... who cares. The only problem with this is again, the government wants its filthy hands in every pocket. And as long as they promote responsible use and properly educate people (which with government run education that's impossible, they've been teaching abstinence for years for all things and look how well that works out [I'm not saying teach kids how and where to acquire marijuana, just saying if they taught kids about alcohol and marijuana in a sensible manner I think it'd be better for all involved])

So I'm weary of legalization. It has to be done right.
                      Skud

Comment

I cant see pot being another tobacco industry. Everyone can plant it themselves. You don't need a 3rd party to make marijuana for you, like you need with cigarettes or alcohol.

Comment

The US gov put a patent on on it in 1975, they already knew the uses for it. I don't mind taxes as long as they are going to education or some other worthy cause. But we all know how well are US gov wastes are money. With the legalization comes loses in profit for plastics, paper, house hold materials, clothing, rope, medicine, prisons, just to touch on a few. So unless you want a 50 dollar J, better grow your own, cause I am positive the gov is going to try and replace those lost funds some how with something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                            I cant see pot being another tobacco industry. Everyone can plant it themselves. You don't need a 3rd party to make marijuana for you, like you need with cigarettes or alcohol.
                            Americans used to be able to plant and grow their own tobacco before the loving, caring, government outlawed/regulated it to the point where you can't do it. It's a damn leaf and we can't grow it. In places like California with government regulated dispensaries for medicinal use, the costs are insane compared to street prices. The writing is already on the wall, the government just wants more money out of the transactions.

There are also a lot of regulations about manufacturing your own alcohol, which is equally ridiculous.
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                              Americans used to be able to plant and grow their own tobacco before the loving, caring, government outlawed/regulated it to the point where you can't do it. It's a damn leaf and we can't grow it. In places like California with government regulated dispensaries for medicinal use, the costs are insane compared to street prices. The writing is already on the wall, the government just wants more money out of the transactions.

There are also a lot of regulations about manufacturing your own alcohol, which is equally ridiculous.
                              I kinda/sorta agree. Coca is also a plant that we cant grow, for pretty obvious reasons, and I certainly wont fight for that one. That being said, California is a bastion of stupid when it comes to marijuana, and you're dead on when you say that the prices are well above street level for dispensary marijuana. However, here in the beautiful state of colorado, medicinal MJ is significantly cheaper (and much more varied) than street prices.

Now, anectotal storytime with Ferris: When I was in high school, I smoked a good amount of pot. By good amount, I mean that my friends and I would regularly blow through an eighth of an ounce in a day (or slightly more, depending on how many of us were in on the sack). The price for top quality marijuana was $50 per eighth from our friendly local dealer. That is still standard street price for an eighth today (inflation hasnt hit the marijuana industry at all in my lifetime). But the quality and strain wasnt up to us, since we were getting it from our dealer, who didnt have any choice in it either.

Now, that being said, with a medical marijuana card in colorado, you can walk into a dispensary, have a choice of probably more than 50 strains of top quality marijuana, that in all likelihood is twice as good as what I was getting on the street a couple decades ago, and pay anywhere between $25-$30 per eighth for it. For legal public consumption marijuana (no card required), you're paying a huge tax rate on top of the base price, which generally brings the price to $45-$50 for an eighth. It's the exact same quality and variety as medicinal pot, and just like it, you also have the option of getting it in oils, edibles, etc. It's the same price as the weed you get from a street dealer, only you have more variety, choice, and it falls under strict regulations for how it's maintained. (more on that in a minute)

Because of my job, I cant use marijuana. Also because of my job, I'm a realist. Legalization, in the fashion that colorado has done it, makes absolute sense. Let me list off some reasons why:
                              Public safety. Point blank.
                              1. As stated, the prices for public consumption, even after 25%(ish) tax, are comparable or just lower than street prices.
                              2. There are strict control regulations on how the pot is grown, handled, packaged and sold. This means that you're not buying some fake-weed, like the stuff that has killed kids, or something that's been sprayed down with insecticide (yes, that really does happen because there are idiots who believe that it'll cause hallucinations alongside your high).
                              3. People are going to do it whether its legal or not. Money issues aside, make it as safe as possible.

Additionally, money.
                              1. Colorado runs between a 20-30% tax on public consumption MJ, depending on the locale (state+local taxes cause the variance).
                              2. The money has specific earmarks to go to public works and education. Does this mean it wont get loopholed? Not necessarily, but I can hold on to a little optimism that it wont.

So lets look at the figures in place:
                              Since Colorado could only speculate at what the annual revenue would be, here's what they laid out:
                              The first $40 million generated annually by the excise on MJ goes directly to the education system for school improvements, construction and programs. After that, the next $10 million goes to marijuana-centric enforcement and education. Beyond that, they dont have set allocations because it's all guesswork on whether or not it will make that much.

Now, consider that retail marijuana sales have surpassed 6 million dollars in the first week, with less than 50 stores selling it statewide. Assuming a median 25% of that $6M is tax money, the state just made 1.5 million in a week with less than 50 stores, most of which are running out of inventory because the demand has far exceeded anyone's expectation. There isnt a single other source of tax money that generates that kind of cash. Speaking of which, since the federal government is still entrenched in its idiocy surrounding pot, most pot sales have to take place on a cash basis because the government punishes banks who deal with pot shops, including credit card processors. The problem with that right now is that so much money has been made off of pot in the last week, the state of Colorado is currently having a problem figuring out WHERE TO STORE ALL THE CASH. When was the last time you heard of something like that?

The remainder of my support for marijuana falls within common sense and experience.
                              -The overwhelming majority of people who use marijuana are not going to suffer any negative medical side effects. There are, however, medical benefits for a variety of ailments associated with cannabinoids.
                              -People tend not to fight when they're stoned, unless there is only one bag of cheetos left.
                              -Delivery food establishments, and local restaurants within short distance of residential areas, are going to see a solid boom in business.
                              -There is now yet another way for the state to make money: pot tourism!
                              -Sure, pot has a pungent odor, but so do cigarettes, and many people have moved from traditional smoking methods to using vaporizers since you get a higher concentration of THC out of the weed, and no smoke/smell (i know people who travel and vape weed on flights on a regular basis and havent even had so much as a sideways glance from someone when they come out of the bathroom).

So I support marijuana being legal. I'm really hoping that Colorado does it right and legitimately shows the rest of the country that the idea can be good in execution and not just in theory.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X