Got my new SSD but found an issue :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new SSD but found an issue :(

So I have gotten my 240 GB SSD in the mail today. The problem is the hard drive bracket bays do not hold a SSD so now I need to go to Staples, or Best Buy or some place and figure out what I need in order to hook up my new hard drive. Then I need to reinstall Windows 7 and all my drivers onto the new drive, remove windows 7 off my old disk, then reinstall Battlefield 4 onto my SSD so I can run it better and load into maps faster. I also need to reinstall all my old games onto my 1TB HD. At some point I will be buying another 1TB HD so I can use it for video editing, saving my music & movies, and backup all my save files just in case something happens. Then I'll be buying a new computer, removing the 1TB HD that had all my music, movies, and backup saves and installing that into my new computer. Iím going to wipe the 1TB hard drive that had all the games and such on it, and giving my old computer to my wife (which is a nice computer btw, Alienware Aurora desktop). And I will get the improved brand new computer with 2TB hard drives, and 1 240GB SSD. Then my wife will finally have a gaming system to play games with me and maybe you guys.

Re: Got my new SSD but found an issue :(

another issue came up, my ssd didnt come with anything to attach my hard drive to, so now i need to buy
    BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994085

I've also checked Best Buy and other places like that, nothing lol. So now need to buy it online.

Comment

I just zip tied it to a normal HDD tray (I have little trays that pull out)

Screw paying for something special. It has no moving parts.
      Skud

Comment

Ya what Skud said. You can let it sit anywhere. I had my primary partially dangling in the air for a while before I fully mounted it.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I moved mine around a little so 2 of the holes lined up on the tray and then mounted the tray.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Mine taped down with doubleside tape and some duct tape for good measure.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

My corsair came with the adapter and screws . . . seemed easy enough.

Comment

Neither of the SSD I got on Black Friday came with mounting hardware nor cables, so I bought a couple of these kits. After getting them I realized that I could have mounted them straight to the pull out bays of my case with a couple screws, but still didnt have the cables that I needed.

As for your plan to move around all your files the way you are talking about.. Do it so you dont have to move them again, nor reinstall them if you have to reinstall windows. I put Origin on one SSD(G: ), then copy/pasted my BF4 and SWTOR folders from C: into the Games folder, then "fixed" them through the Origin client, which basically is pressing the "DL Game" button to fix the installs. You have to change where the games are looked for in Origin, at Origin/ Application Settings/ Advanced, changing where Downloaded Games and where Game Installers are pointed to. BF4 worked fine from the get go, SWTOR on the other hand did not like being moved like that. SWTOR takes a lot of time to fix itself after the weekly update, but works fine after wards. I have been told to uninstall SWTOR and reinstall it to fix the long update times, but since it is now a 36MB folder it would take a week to DL again with this awesome internet provider I am using.

I leave Win7 and a few other programs(TS, Adobe, Autodesk) on my C drive(2TB Hybrid), while I have everything else (steam, music, photos/images) on E(an older 2TB HHD). My initial boot up is really fast for a 2TB drive. BF4 loads fast enough that I am in game before most people. SWTOR loads between toons much faster than it ever did while it was on the hybrid 2TB when I had so much on it. Definitely worth buying SSDs for.

As I tell everyone I know, dont buy a new computer when you have one to upgrade. Upgrading what you have is much cheaper, plus you can build it the way you want, and need. Upgrading a CPU may need a new MOBO, maybe new RAM. I always suggest getting a very good MOBO that will support the CPU you have, and will upgrade to better ones in the future. Dont get a cheap MOBO, it is the foundation to which everything is built on. Most people have a case that is usable for upgrades, usually the current power supply will suffice. Of course your monitor(s), keyboard, mouse and other peripherals should work with any new build.

I for one am not an expert on what will work with other parts, but I am sure there are plenty of people here at TG that can help in that area, especially when it comes to intel tech, as I only use AMD. Or you can go to such websites as Tomshardware (my personal preference), buildyourown.org or computerhelpforums.net. There are others Im sure, those are just the few that I have frequented in the past.
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

You mean SSDs aren't supposed to just hang by the SATA cable somewhere vaguely near the hard drive bays?
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Buy some velco with the tape on the back. Place it anywhere.

Comment

Well already got a mounting kit so I am set. Haven't installed the hard drive yet though. At some point I will, but getting little hectic at school that I don't get a chance to, plus I'm stuck at playing Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion mods like Star Trek Armada III, and I just downloaded a Stargate Mod. Plus I've been playing a ton of Men of War Assault Squad with Blooddrops, and Socom.

Comment

I have the mounting kit for my SSD. The drives are so small they do not really need an enclosure. They are solid states, there are no moving magnetic disks spinning at 7200RPM's. I have Battlefield 4 on my SSD with my OS. It's only 120GB. I was going to setup a RAID O with a second drive. I have most of my games on Two Samsung F3's in a 2TB RAID O array. My SSD moves 500MB per sec. compared to 220MB per sec. on my Samsung F3's. The SSD's are really important, BF4 takes time to load even on the SSD. I am usually one the the first to load on BF4 maps. I know there are people who have RAID O SSD's who would have serious performance horsepower.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X