US Federal tax Q.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Federal tax Q.

That time again... it's always been easy before, both my kids were under 18, and living with me, (and their mother) full year.
    So I've always simply filed via TurboTax jointly, with 2 dependents.

This is our first different year, and not sure how were suppose to file, so any of you secret tax experts, please advise... ;)

Were filing Jointly again, Wife and I... This year, (well last year really, 2013), my 21 year old "good" daughter lived at home the full year, she is a full time collage student at FGCU, which we pay 100% of. She also works part time at Star Bucks... you know, to help out with books etc etc...

We can still claim her right, since she lived here full year and a full time collage student? Does she need to do a separate tax return?

My "troubled" 18 year old daughter, last year up into the end of May she was under 18 and lived at home, she turned 18, dropped out of HS, and then moved out on her own, which only lasted just under 3 months, before she was evicted for parting to much and came back home. Since that time she has had 6 jobs, no kidding, quit a few she didn't like, fired from a few... like I said, "troubled'. ;)

So, minus that 3 months, she lived here at home, not a student, had 6 jobs, down to one now... Can we still claim her or NO? Does she have to do her own taxes also... which would be a mess, lol.

Thx in advance for any advise.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: US Federal tax Q.

Hi Magnum...

I think it depends age, income and length of time they lived with you. I think the latter is six months so you are okay there but if they are over (I think ) 19 they you can claim them as a qualifying relative as long as they made less than $3,900 for the year.

Honestly...I found that out by googling a few minutes before I did my e file stuff so don't take it as gospel. I would call a professional and ask for some advice and I think the IRS even offers a phone number for tax help.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Ya, thx... I will verify before I do anything, just wanted to get close enough answers for the right questions. ;)
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

As long as they are in college, and you're paying, they should still be considered a dependent.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X