Missin' those days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missin' those days

Guys, I realized that I've been here for over 7 years now. It has been a long time, but I can't help but remember how we were full of the hustle and bustle of a busy forum. What happened? I mean, looking to today, what is needed to bring new people here? It seems that we have let things go and we are the shell of our former self. Something seems to be missing and the lack there-of seems to be making this place dull and lifeless. What could we do to better this place or are we content to see it die?

Sad, but I can only watch this go on as I work in college computer labs...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Missin' those days

Clearly we're not lacking in hyperbole or drama. Slow day in the lab?

Comment

One idea springs to mind. If you believe the forums lack activity or content that grabs you perhaps create some content, ie write a post or start an interesting discussion as opposed to a post about a lack of posts/activity.

Just a thought. 'End of the World' sandwich boards aren't that interesting and generally don't generate much interest, activity or forum traffic.

Comment

Yes, this is a slow day at the lab. Learning about encryption and such in security. Such a nice day outside and the first day of trout season...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Well BeSiege, I think life has gotten to everyone. I know it's certainly hit me, my fifth year in college and I know I'll have to come back for a sixth. I still occasionally come back here to Tactical Gamer, but there really aren't that many clans anymore from what I can see. I don't know how or why the clans have died out either, I think there are less games that favor an incredibly large community like Tactical Gamer or Doorman Is God and instead favor small groups of players, like a group of friends. I could be wrong though, but it's just my thoughts on the subject.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

If it were only the forums that lacked hustle & bustle, that would be better than the slow death of your favorite games. Mine is at deaths door and I doubt very much if I will find a replacement for it in the near future. Now I just roam the halls once in awhile looking for a familiar face.

Comment

I hear you, but this is also why I keep going crazy when I hear about Star Citizen.

Well, summer break will be here soon, so maybe we can see some old faces a little more often.

Comment

Since my return after a long absence from TG, I too have noticed a major shift in community. Back in the day this comminity wasn't as big, and it's members were really close and active. I still remember the days with fondness, Set days for games that were always populated and active. IE: Every Sunday night was classic night, where we rotated between GR, R6, and other old school classics. Then we had OFP night, SWAT3 then 4 night, etc etc... we had a popular game almost nightly, and it was pretty much the same TG members on those nights... so close virtual friendships were formed. Now, to me, TG is more like a business, the personality is gone, but thier are plenty of members, and plenty of games. Just looking at TS right now, all those games, all those channels, and 2 to 4 people in each 3 or 4 channels.

I'm not complaining, just sharing an observation based on this thread. I myself have fallen away from gaming as I have gotten older and new hobbies. Back in the day I played nightly with TG, and each night was a new game. Tons of game, now I just concentrate on playing 3 or 4 games. And many times I just don't feel like playing anymore.

More examples, look at the TG forums, we still have dedicated sub-forums for games no one plays anymore, yet new ones like Insurgency, have become popular but no forum or server. SWAT could probably be merged with shooters while Insurgency gets it's own... not demanding, just sharing an opinion.

Ya, miss the good ol days of fewer numbers more gaming, but I understand the TG business model, the need and purpose.
                Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I should have time tomorrow to reply at length to some of the points raised but I'll make a quick couple of comments now.

We have something in the works for Insurgency. I've been gauging interest over the past 2 months, playing, talking to others that play etc. Expect to see developments on that front shortly!

As regards the number of titles we host, that's actually reduced over the past 12-18 months. Prior to that, to some degree whilst you were away Magnum, we hosted quite a number of titles. That's obviously quite a strain on resources and people and sometimes hard to sustain. It can be hard to maintain 'quality' and ensure our core ideals are supported and upheld. It's also hard to staff insofar as Administrators.

As gamers we by and large fall into the 'early adopter' type camp, ie we're looking for the next big thing etc. That often leads to calls for a server, forums etc as soon as a new game is announced. That's not a bad thing, it's how we keep our hobby and our Community fresh and interesting in some ways. However it can lead to a somewhat temporary culture where we're not prepared to work at things and mould them to our approach. Why bother if there is another game coming out next week that may be better?

The reality is it takes a lot of time and effort to set up a new title, get an Admin Team in place, set up the servers etc and that task falls to a fairly small group of people. That in itself is an issue as people willing to Admin and work for the community are hard to come by. Everybody has real lives and less and less people are willing or able to give up their time to help, so it falls on the same people.

What we are seeing now is a transitional stage that TG has been moving through for some time that is desired, necessary and aimed at actually strengthening the Community and refocusing on our core philosophy.

The number of titles we directly host has been reduced by both natural wastage and design. We hope in time that this will enable us to focus our efforts more effectively, getting back to basics somewhat and reestablishing how we do things. We won't host every game that everybody plays but hopefully we will host a core set of games that people will be excited to play together, our way.

There will of course be secondary support for games that TG members play, as usual. In addition there will be some effort put in to secondary support for the next gen consoles as adoption rates amongst members increase. I know I sometimes like to slump on the couch and play a PS4 game with a cold beverage. It would be great if there was a refreshed/reinvigorated support system to enable me to do that with fellow TG members. As time goes on you should see some development in that area too.

There's a lot to look forward to in the coming months as we come out of transition, lots of good stuff coming our way. Please remember it's Spring, the weather has broken and for a lot of people this is a very busy time of year, time is precious and we all have competing demands.

As regards forum content, PAX East just wrapped up, I posted a couple of threads but there's a ton more news and exciting content out there. Where's the forum posts, the discussion etc. Perhaps instead of taking the time to write a post that states "There are no posts!" we could write something like "Here's an interesting post about an interesting thing, that you may be interested in", just saying lol.

All feedback is good guys, it's all food for thought. If you have any ideas or suggestions I'm more than happy for people to contact me direct or however you want to discuss.

See you on the servers this weekend I hope.

Regards

Wicks

Comment

BTW that ended up being way longer than I planned so there won't be a part two, you'll be relieved to know lol.

Comment

lol, I read that and said to myself "He's really going to post again and clarify all that, seems detailed enough". ;)

I understand and agree with your points... just saying I've noticed a big change from 2004 TG to 2014 TG... and it still fits me, just in a different way.

But I can understand what BeSiege is saying, he was one of those members I was talking about, in the day.
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

@Magnum hahaha, yeah I typed that up on my phone, there was no way I was going to repeat any of it lol.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X