Car Collector List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Collector List

While few individuals can have a museum collection of nearly every make and model - like Jay Leno, there are mini collectors both locally and globally that have cars that they own, trade or sell for personal enjoyment and/or profit. The hot topic with my family and friends has been: if you were to start a collection, which 10 cars would you collect? To be realistic, the budget is capped at $500,000.

At first I thought that would be easy, but there are many factors to consider;

- Sports car or Luxury cruiser
    - American muscle or European panache (i.e. 1970 Hemi Cuda vs 1968 Ferrari 275 GTB)
    - Stock (Original) or Hot Rod

Then there's the various Era's:

- The coach cars of 1890's-1919 with Brass and Steam Cars
    - 1920-1930's Pre-war (WW2) "Salon" autos which transitioned from wooden frame to steel, and simple straight engine blocks, Ford's V8, to elaborate V16's. (Again the question of High-End American vs European: Duesenberg, Auburn, Packard, Rickenbacker and Cadillac vs Bugatti, Hispano-Suiza, Isotta-Fraschini, Alpha Romeo, Mercedes-Benz, or Rolls-Royce). It's even tough to decide who had the coolest hood ornament :icon6:.
    - Postwar cars which lead up to the mid-1950's and the shoebox design to the sweeping aero influence of the rocket era.
    - The 1950's... so many choices :icon24:! Bel Air, Rocket 88, Mercs (Mercury), Corvette Gen1, T-Bird Gen1, Cadillac "Wings", Chryslers with push button trannys, Mercedes, Jag, Alpha Romeo "Batwing" and spyders, Porsche 356, and anything Ferrari that was linked to racing.
    - 1960's... more choices! Anything GM with a big engine; GTO, GSX, 442, Impala, Corvette Gen 2, Camaro, Chevelle... Ford; Mustang, Mustang, and Mustang (People are seriously sentimental to 'stangs), '64-67 fastbacks or '68-70, plus the Boss, Shelby, or Mach1 options, COBRA (nuff said), Chrysler Hemi cars, and again the Euros including Ferrari, Jag, Triumph, MG, Aston Martin, Lambos (Miura, 350-400GT) Maserati, etc.

That's just to name a few as there are many more models and deviant factors out there which would take a book to list. The other thing to consider, and the difference between a collector and a junk yard/hoarder, is storage. Do you have the room to properly keep these cars in good condition? Even a barn is better than sitting outside open to the elements. Of course you don't want mice, snakes, birds and other creatures nesting and destroying the interior and other parts of the cars. If your going to keep them outside or in a rotting building, with the thought "it's just temporary, I'll move them later..." then do the cars a favor and sell them to someone more capable and responsible. Also, sentimental vs pure investment. Cars you must have and never sell vs cars that you buy because you know you'll make a good profit. For example, I would never sell my grandfather's 1937 Packard 120, but I've had and sold a '67 Camaro, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger, 1970 Firebird Formula 400, and two Porsches (1970 911T, 2009 Carrera S) for a nice profit. I've had a bunch of (modern) everyday driver cars, but not what I consider collectibles.

So with all that in mind, which 10 cars would you buy to start a collection?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm going to a nearby car auction this weekend (Russo and Steele) where a few relatives and friends will be buying and selling cars. So I'm gonna hold off on my list until after I see a few at the event.

:icon_frow
    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
    sigpic

Re: Car Collector List

Important question. Is this collection for profit or is it for personal value.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

As a collection, not just to constantly buy and sell cars like a dealer. Of course, you never want to over pay, but try and get as close or under market value. That way if you want to sell you don't take a loss. Another aspect is getting what you can afford vs what you want. Say you like the C2 Corvette (64-67), and want the sought after '67 Corvette with a 427, but at $100,000+ it's over your budget. You could get a C2 Vette with a small block (327) or 396 for much less, look nearly identical, and enjoy it until you decide to sell/trade it for something else. Personally, I'd take any C2 with the "Stinger" hood regardless of year or engine.

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

You have to have a early 60's to late 70's 911. They have now priced themselves out of my range now and are rocketing even higher.

My new lust is a lead sled. Something long low and preferably a convertible.

Everyone has their own tastes and mine lean more to ****boxes than exotics. So I won't give you any more suggestions.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X