Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question to gun owners and any gunsmiths around here (Image Heavy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question to gun owners and any gunsmiths around here (Image Heavy)

I recently inherited a Charter Arms Police Bulldog .38sp from my grandpa. It's a no frills revolver with several quirks. It has an ungodly stiff trigger pull, and an issue with firing it in single action. When the hammer is cocked manually, it freezes, and can't be fired (the trigger won't move). I need to manually lower the hammer and fire in double action. The handle is so slick that the gun rides up my grip after every shot. I took it to a local gunsmith, and polished and filed down the innards to make the trigger pull more bearable and he said that the issue with firing single action is something that can't be fixed, and is an issue with the model. All in all, it's a fun gun to learn on.

My question to you folks, I'm looking for a decent revolver under a $1000 that takes .357 or .38sp (or both). The insane gun hoarders in my area vacuum up all the .38sp in the area, but i keep finding .357 around. All i do is target shoot, no interest in conceal carry or hunting. This will be a graduation gift for myself next year. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, if you have a good recommendation for semi-autos, let me know, 9mm and .45 are calibers i'd take a look at, though most of my experience is in revolvers (learned to shoot from an old cop and his service revolvers).
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: A question to gun owners and any gunsmiths around here (Image Heavy)

9mm to me is the best bang for your buck

I have a few now. M&P, Sig 226, 92fs. Out of all of them I love, love, love my sig. They can reach higher price point than the rest but it's for a reason.

Beautiful action, zero failures the thing is bomb proof.

I would recommend you head to the local indoor range and demo / rent a few different models so you can see what fits and works for you.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I dont know much about the revolvers but for semi-auto Cougar mentioned Sig they are nice. I would also suggest you look at Glocks. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 40cal and I love it to death. If you do take a look at Glocks make sure you get a full size one and not a compact. They are a little TOO small

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The only revolvers I can speak of personally are the 6" Colt Python in .357 and the 7.5" Ruger Redhawk in .44

The Colt is well outside your price range but for what it's worth, it's the smoothest, sexiest, easiest-pointing and most accurate handgun (revolver or auto) I've ever had the pleasure of using.

The Ruger Redhawk would be within your price range, and it's a fine revolver as well. It's not as smooth as the Colt, and you may want to pick up an aftermarket grip, but it's nice enough. Nowadays they make the Redhawk in .357 and a few other calibers as well, so that might be worth checking out.

I supposed I should mention, both of these would be quite a lot heavier than what you're using now.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Nerd, I wondered what happened to you. Have you thought about .40 mils?

Bro, whatever revolver you get, get it with the rubber grips. Wood grips look beautiful, but 6 inch .357s feel much better when using the rubber. You don't slip as much from recoil and your hands will thank you too.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Just "beware" of the Gen 4, Model 21..but maybe all the Gen 4's from GLOCK.. We were issed the Model 21 a year ago..and this year after a part swap for some trigger problem (on all 4,000 of em..) we now are having a common failure where the gun will fail to cycle. Not sure the cause but it's like around the 700-800 round mark. I haven't had any issues but I am a few hundred rounds short of that. I loved my GAP Glock we had prior...and that thing shot for years with no cleaning.. it was a tank...I just think the GAP round was a dumb purchase..
            We now are dumping the Glocks after a year and moving to SIGS..a more complicated weapon.. We shall see how that works out..
            just my 2 cents..
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

If you don't like the feel of a stock grip but don't want an ugly rubber/polymer grip, you can also order a custom wooden grip built to fit your hand.

I guarantee you that a proper profile built for your hand will make a whole lot more difference than a change in material. As a bonus, they look gorgeous.

Really though, get out there and handle some different handguns. Finding one that points naturally for you is probably going to make a bigger difference in your shooting than getting whichever make and model is arbitrarily the "best". It's easier to find a gun that works for you than it is to try to make a gun fit you by modifying it.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                I dont know much about the revolvers but for semi-auto Cougar mentioned Sig they are nice. I would also suggest you look at Glocks. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 40cal and I love it to death. If you do take a look at Glocks make sure you get a full size one and not a compact. They are a little TOO small
                Subcompacts maybe, but unless you have fat hands I don't think the compacts would be an issue. My hands are pretty damn big and my Glock 19 is a perfect size.

Comment

Peardog I heard of this issue. It has to do with the spring and guide rod. It only affects early gen 4's. Glock made an announcement about it and has since changed the guide rod and spring and offered replacements to those who's serial numbers were low enough to have the bad spring/rod

Mosati for me they just felt to small. Anything other than a full size didn't fit right for me. Personal pref though lol

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                    Peardog I heard of this issue. It has to do with the spring and guide rod. It only affects early gen 4's. Glock made an announcement about it and has since changed the guide rod and spring and offered replacements to those who's serial numbers were low enough to have the bad spring/rod

Mosati for me they just felt to small. Anything other than a full size didn't fit right for me. Personal pref though lol
                    Yea, I hear ya.

I think Glock made some changes to the trigger with the newer Gen 4's too. That and an extra mag as well as additional back straps, which is always nice.

Comment

I have slightly larger than average hands, but slimmer fingers. I found the Glock grips to be akin to trying to wrap my hand around a 2x4. For my personal comfort, I found the Ruger SR9c to be an excellent fit for a semi-auto. All of the Ruger SR series are pretty decent, IMO.... and the price points are good. They're usually around $500. They come in 9mm, .40 and .45 and in both compact and full size form.

For a wheel gun, I stand by the GP100 as the best double action .357 you can buy brand new. The SP101 is just as good, but I recommend that in .38spl. It's not as beefy as the GP100. If you don't at least *look* at those two models, you are missing out.

Yes, I am a big fan of the Ruger.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Well i have an update, went out hunting for new grips. Went to 4 different shops in the area, and phoned in 2 other. Found some nice rubber grips.

It instantly feels better in my hand. I'm heading off on a two week trip, so no plinking just yet, i'll let you guys know on the feel of things. Thank you for the suggestions, the Ruger gp100, as well a SIG 226 (an automatic that i've always liked the look of) and the S&W 686 are currently on my radar for ones to try.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X