• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FURY, movie trailer...

Looks like it could be good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNHuK1rteF4

Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: FURY, movie trailer...

Oh yay, there's at least some tank on tank action. Instead of all this "oh hey my tank gonna ownz your battalion of infantry singlehandedly". I even saw a round deflected by the armor! Yay!
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Saw this yesterday. Highlights the 2nd Armored Division. First to the Elbe. First into Germany. I believe they were part of the 3rd Army under Patton. Looks like this move will feature M4 Shermans. The M4 was woefully outclassed by the German armor. Later they were upgraded to a better main gun but they were nicknamed "Ronson" because they caught on fire so much. All this you can find on Wiki I'm sure but I've read a few books on the European campaign during 44 & 45. (new one by Rick Atkinson looks good)

Anyways lets hope the trend towards realism continues in war movies. Trailer looks good.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

That's a real, functioning Tiger in the trailer, Tiger 131 on loan from Bovington. Gnarly!

Sure they're driving a Sherman, but it is an M4A3E8 "Easy 8" unless I'm gravely mistaken, with the 76mm gun (longer barrel with muzzle brake compared to the shorter, blunt-ended 75mms) which means it would have much better anti-tank performance than the sterotypical Sherman. Yes, a Panther or a Tiger is still better in every way except turret traverse and firing on the move (of debatable advantage) but it was reasonably capable compared to the much more common Panzer IVs. While the Pz IV still has a better gun, armor protection is comparable and the Sherman is quicker. (Contrary to popular belief, the Tiger actually had the same power/weight ratio as the Sherman, and was more maneuverable over soft ground due to wider tracks)

Personally, I'd rather a new perspective than the overused "USA, Western Europe, 1944" setting, but hopefully the perspective of a tank crew will be enough to keep it fresh.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

The M4A3E2 would have been better given the better sloped and thicker armor.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            The M4A3E2 would have been better given the better sloped and thicker armor.
            That depends. For starters, Jumbos were incredibly rare (Germany made twice as many Tiger IIs as the US made Jumbos) and there were about 12 times as many E8s as E2s in the arsenal. (though some bastardized "Jumbos" existed with field-modified armor, they wouldn't have the modified final drive of a factory E2 to deal with the extra weight)

Ignoring the numbers though, I still don't think it's a great choice. The Jumbo was never designed as a tank-killer, and mounted the same lackluster 75mm M3 gun as the run-of-the-mill Sherman. So while a Panzer IV or StuG III wouldn't be able to penetrate the E2 except at very close ranges, the E2 would similarly have problems penetrating them. Meanwhile a Tiger, Panther, or Jagdpanzer IV/70 doesn't really give a damn whether your armor is 64mm or 102mm out to a kilometer or so, and are basically invulnerable to the 75mm gun unless flanked at close range. Given that the extra armor made the E2 even slower than a Tiger (especially over soft ground) it's not well equipped to pull of a flanking maneuver. Some E2s were field-modified with 76mm guns. This would make them a fearsome and deadly opponent for the more common Pz IV and StuG III, but against the Tiger, Panther, or Jagd IV it would still have to either flank the enemy or drive well within kill-range to engage frontally with the (extremely rare) HVAP ammunition (which had its own problems with shatter gap)

The Easy 8 was therefore, in my opinion, better suited to combat tank threats. It came standard with the 76mm gun which allowed it to engage frontally with the common Pz IVs and Stug IIIs on equal terms, and the new HVSS system which had more suspension travel and a smoother ride, which combined with wider tracks and the power/weight advantage over the E2 made it much more effective at flanking the heavy German armor, (or moving in to a range where HVAP could score a frontal penetration) especially over rough or soft terrain.

If you REALLY want to stand and slug it out with heavy German armor in a US tank, you'd need a Pershing or an M36.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I've heard of the firefly variant but not the easy 8. Good stuff guys. It would be awesome to see something on the battle of Kursk. I bet Soviet cinema has something on that but we don't see many Russian language movies here in the good Old U.S.A.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Hetzer time? Though something tells me this movie won't be featuring all that many tanks.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Speaking of Tank movies, any of you guys caught the movie Lebanon?

Comment

I'd assume you mean this foreign film "hit":

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X