TeamSpeak Upgrade / Migration Occurring Tonight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeamSpeak Upgrade / Migration Occurring Tonight

There will be a brief TeamSpeak outage tonight at approximately 1800 EST.

During the outage, I will be migrating TeamSpeak over to a new server in a new datacenter. This migration is part of a much larger migration of most of TG's core assets over to a new home, but the first step is TeamSpeak.

The outage should only last for a few minutes, but there is potential for some users to have a delayed ability to connect to the new TeamSpeak server due to cached DNS. I have reduced the TTL (Time to Live) value for the TeamSpeak record to reduce the delay, but for those of you who know how DNS works; it might take a little while for your local ISP to refresh.

If you have followed the instructions posted HERE, you are currently pointing to ts.tacticalgamer.com:9988. If you can not connect after the move, you can TEMPORARILY change this value to 72.9.227.5:9988 to be able to connect immediately.

If you have any questions post here!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: TeamSpeak Upgrade / Migration Occurring Tonight

Are these a records or weighted, prioritized SRV DNS records by chance?

Source Reasoning: I'm a Data and Voice network engineer so I'm naturally curious.
    Last edited by Dimitrius; 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Just straight up A records.

I dropped the TTL down to 3600 a few days ago, and then earlier today dropped it down to 600 to speed up the propagation. Granted, I can't control how the ISPs deal with the records in their resolvers, but it can't be as bad as AOL back in the day completely IGNORING set TTL values and defaulting to a week.... feh!

Comment

Oh, yeah! The migration is complete. New server is up and running and lots of people seem to be connecting fine.

Integration with the web site has been adjusted as well and is functioning normally.

Comment

Can confirm it is running and I am able to connect. I'm on Comcast Residential connecting through Chicago/Midwest hub for those interested in details so you can assess if you might have trouble resolving the domain's A records.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was gonna say, once the authoritative name server has been updated, TTL value notwithstanding, aggregation should immediately begin to occur. Acreo and I live in a high bandwidth corridor around Chicago so ours might be closer to the source of the change, but still.

Have you had dns issues after TS migrations before and if so, have you considered SRVs? They are rather handy. We use them for autodisovery but they are equally valuable as a very powerful means of load balancing services by single-point to multi-point name resolution. Can be used for this very issue as well, especially during parallel cuts. <-- Obligatory followup.

Post Script: I suspect you don't have control of the record type, but just the name and IPs. If it's a public resolution that is, but if you do, that would be pretty neat.

Glad it's up. I connected no problem.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I'm pretty sure TG owns the domain so that would mean he'd have full control over its use, including SRV records. According to this knowledgebase article Teamspeak 3 does support SRV records. So he probably could set it up so ts.tacticalgamer.com points to IP:PORT easily. Unfortunately, I've never had much luck with SRV and A records are pointed at two differently located servers (like Atlanta and California). Usually the A record resolves, but SRV records won't.

----

Back to the server. I have noticed much faster connect -> loading times to the server. Feels as snappy as connecting to my TS3 server hosted on a SSD VPS in Dallas, TX. Maybe the new TS3 server is also a SSD box?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                I was gonna say, once the authoritative name server has been updated, TTL value notwithstanding, aggregation should immediately begin to occur. Acreo and I live in a high bandwidth corridor around Chicago so ours might be closer to the source of the change, but still.

Have you had dns issues after TS migrations before and if so, have you considered SRVs? They are rather handy. We use them for autodisovery but they are equally valuable as a very powerful means of load balancing services by single-point to multi-point name resolution. Can be used for this very issue as well, especially during parallel cuts. <-- Obligatory followup.

Post Script: I suspect you don't have control of the record type, but just the name and IPs. If it's a public resolution that is, but if you do, that would be pretty neat.

Glad it's up. I connected no problem.
                TTL values really CAN'T be ignored. When you set a TTL value for a zone or record and state that a resolver is free to cache the record for xxxxxx seconds, you need to expect the resolver to follow that instruction. Shrinking TTL values is an authoritative way of speeding up DNS updates by way of forcing reduced cache times. It's not that I've had issues with "migrating Teamspeak servers" in the past, but after doing this for well over two decades; I just accept that these situations exist and do what I can to mitigate them.

I've considered using SRV records; but as I'm really not trying to load balance anything and don't need the discovery, I try and keep as little "decision making" out of the picture as possible. Kind of the same reason why internally I map everything by IP address rather than FQDN; keeps the decision making tree as small as possible.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I'm pretty sure TG owns the domain so that would mean he'd have full control over its use, including SRV records. According to this knowledgebase article Teamspeak 3 does support SRV records. So he probably could set it up so ts.tacticalgamer.com points to IP:PORT easily. Unfortunately, I've never had much luck with SRV and A records are pointed at two differently located servers (like Atlanta and California). Usually the A record resolves, but SRV records won't.
                ----

Back to the server. I have noticed much faster connect -> loading times to the server. Feels as snappy as connecting to my TS3 server hosted on a SSD VPS in Dallas, TX. Maybe the new TS3 server is also a SSD box?
                TG owns it's own domain. We control our own DNS. We can do whatever kind of record types and configuration we desire. The server is not running SSDs, no. It's actually a pretty small guest that I carved up on our new ESXi box.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                  TTL values really CAN'T be ignored. When you set a TTL value for a zone or record and state that a resolver is free to cache the record for xxxxxx seconds, you need to expect the resolver to follow that instruction. Shrinking TTL values is an authoritative way of speeding up DNS updates by way of forcing reduced cache times. It's not that I've had issues with "migrating Teamspeak servers" in the past, but after doing this for well over two decades; I just accept that these situations exist and do what I can to mitigate them.

I've considered using SRV records; but as I'm really not trying to load balance anything and don't need the discovery, I try and keep as little "decision making" out of the picture as possible. Kind of the same reason why internally I map everything by IP address rather than FQDN; keeps the decision making tree as small as possible.
                  I understand the math behind TTL and on occasion have had to tweak them myself, I just wondered if your changing of their values was reactionary or per-emptive.

As for SRVs, they take some massaging, in certain cases, to ensure the weights, priorities and proper placement of the record within the domain/subdomain structure. In my professional space and community, we've gone back and forth on IP and FQDN and what really determines the final result is whether or not we're advertising services through the firewall or not. At the moment we are back to FQDN because of the collaboration element, in the TS case at TG, it seems that KISS is the way to go. And I agree, from an engineering standpoint.

I will save my next line of questioning, which directly involves your ESXI setup, for another day. I deal with VCENTER and many different hypervisiors on a daily basis.

Thanks for the discussion Apo, I think in my 8 years at TG this is the most attention you've ever given me. I suddenly feel special =)
                  Last edited by Dimitrius; 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM. Reason: spellign

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                    I understand the math behind TTL and on occasion have had to tweak them myself, I just wondered if your changing of their values was reactionary or per-emptive.

As for SRVs, they take some massaging, in certain cases, to ensure the weights, priorities and proper placement of the record within the domain/subdomain structure. In my professional space and community, we've gone back and forth on IP and FQDN and what really determines the final result is whether or not we're advertising services through the firewall or not. At the moment we are back to FQDN because of the collaboration element, in the TS case at TG, it seems that KISS is the way to go. And I agree, from an engineering standpoint.

I will save my next line of questioning, which directly involves your ESXI setup, for another day. I deal with VCENTER and many different hypervisiors on a daily basis.

Thanks for the discussion Apo, I think in my 8 years at TG this is the most attention you've ever given me. I suddenly feel special =)
                    It was all pre-emptive.. Shrinking down the TTL as we got closer to cutover to make the caching window shorter and shorter. :)

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more, especially about the ESXi box. I love talking geek as it's what I do professionally as well. Considering I live and breathe VMware (ESX, vSphere, Horizon View, etc) all day long; it made sense to make this migration and bring all the *NIX boxes under one VM roof. It's allowed me to save money yet provide MORE services and MORE flexibility at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      I love talking geek as it's what I do professionally as well.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

FYI, since the migration I get icon errors for the various channels, and my BF4 admin rights no longer function (Gold Bar for admin disappeared too). Others I've spoken with have the same problems. Any tips for a fix?

See screenshot pic for reference:

TS3 Pic 07.11.2014.jpg
                        Attached Files

:icon_frow
                        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                        sigpic

Comment

Zippy can you do me a favour and resubmit your TS ID in the usual way, I want to see if that reinstates your Admin bar in TS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                            FYI, since the migration I get icon errors for the various channels, and my BF4 admin rights no longer function (Gold Bar for admin disappeared too). Others I've spoken with have the same problems. Any tips for a fix?

See screenshot pic for reference:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11099[/ATTACH]
                            I'll take a look at the icon issues shortly. As for the BF4 admin rights; check the thread in the original post and re-submit your GUID to re-establish your permissions. If you had someone MANUALLY set your permissions (which would have been a MASSIVE no-no for them to do) it is likely it caused a mismatch on your GUID.

Comment

Let me know if the icons are fixed for you now....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X