LASIK in a week and a half

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK in a week and a half

Went to hawaii, came back from hawaii. Now in a week and a half i'm getting eye surgery to hopefully get rid of these damn spectacles. Anyone here have Lasik or PRK? Any tips or anything to make the recovery as smooth as possible. What was the surgery itself like, you just stare at a dot while they do their work on you?
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: LASIK in a week and a half

I had LASIK done 4+ years ago so I don't remember all of the details as well as I used to. I remember them giving me a stress ball to squeeze while they did the surgery and gripping it thinking, this thing is stiff I can't even squeeze it. When they started the operation, my fingers were touching. I had too many people tell me it's not painful, blah, blah....I wasn't ready for any discomfort. It hurts, but it's not unbearable. I still can't believe how quickly it went. You stare at a fixed point, your hear the laser start, I remember thinking it smelled like when I get a cavity filled.

I'd recommend being close to where you're having it done. I lived almost an hour away from where I had the surgery done and the ride home become unbearable. I kept my eyes shut because it was bright, but after about 20 minutes, I felt like I had sand dumped in my eyes. If I were to do it over again, I seriously would have considered just getting a hotel room really close and going there immediately after the surgery and sleeping until the next day and then going home.

As for recovery, I don't remember, I know when I opened my eyes right after the surgery, I could see pretty well and the next day when I wasn't sleeping, I could see perfectly. I remember having pain pills, but I don't remember taking that many of them.

Overall, a little discomfort for not having to mess with contact/glasses and I would do it again in a second.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

oh dear lord! the appearance of two long lost members! It cant be!

how long does recovery last?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I had LASIK done in 2009, just a few months before my wedding. The surgery itself was less than a minute. I remember staring also at some fuzzy lights. I remember wearing heavy shades going home (my fiance drove me). I was told to take a nap after I got home and that's pretty much what I did. Something they gave me for the procedure made me sleepy.

What I remember most distinctly was waking up 3-4 hours after getting home and looking up at the ceiling and the lighting beaming in through the window and it was like the world was made of crystal. Everything was so incredibly clear... 4K HDTV on steroids. I could make out individual leaves on trees at a thousand yards. I couldn't believe it.

Going back in for the follow-up, I had 20/15 in both eyes.

Best money ever spent.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
          oh dear lord! the appearance of two long lost members! It cant be!

how long does recovery last?
          Recovery? meaning pain? I don't remember having much pain after about 48 hours. It was a lot longer for recovery, I remember a list of things I wasn't supposed to do for several months like rub my eyes, etc. I did get freaked out when my toddler poked me in the eye with her finger about a week after the surgery...didn't cause me any problems though.
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

So a bit of an update here. The surgery was an odd experience, very surreal and not painful at all. I remember the entire thing so that'll make a good story. What happened to Catman happened to me, its a 40 minute drive home, and the numbing drops after the surgery wore off after about 20 minutes, and it felt like someone was taking red hot needles and shoving them into my eyeballs. I got home and it took another hour to fall asleep (took a double dose of valium), and it was bloody painful as hell. After being knocked out for 5 hours the pain was almost non existent.

The next day check up went well, I have somewhere between 20/20 to 20/15, with further changes to come with healing (hopefully good). The doctor said that if she hadn't of known previously, she wouldn't have been able to tell that i had the surgery the day before looking at my eyes. I'm currently 2 days out from surgery and vision is fine, just a few tweaks of pain here and there. No regrets so far.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X