Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Violence in video games? Check this one out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violence in video games? Check this one out...

Check out this game, mainly it's trailer... now I would never condone censoring a game, even thou I'm personally not fond of cop or citizen killing games, and I don't with this one, but I can't help thinking that in this day in age where anti-police and anti-government is as strong as ever in society, someone with a similar attitude or feelings, and an emotional problem or two, might see this as a "training tool"? Thou in real life, he might kill some unarmed citizens, but he wouldn't last an hour or two on this killing spree.

That said, for a healthy gamer like me... it looks pretty F'in cool... BTW, Unreal has asked for their logo to be removed, they won't sensor either but they don't want their logo on it. ;)

Destructive Creations

what's your thoughts on it? Keep it respectful.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Violence in video games? Check this one out...

Not a fan. Too many Auroras, too many Columbines, too many Sandy Hooks. I know I'm oversimplifying but you asked.

It's one thing to act out as if you were a soldier on the battlefield but I can't see the value in role playing as a maladjusted and murderous private citizen. It could be just me but don't you think games like this reflect poorly on the industry as a whole? The lay person sees this and they think ..."ugg...gamers playing games."
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I've responded to a number of domestic calls where the troubled teenager is threatening themselves or others... my problem with all this is most of the time the parents say something like "he sits in his room and plays those killer video games all day", my Q. (which I'm not allowed to ask IRL, lol) Why the F are you letting him then? Take that crap away! Be a parent.

I don't believe violent games cause normal kids to snap and go on killing sprees, but I do believe troubled kids who play these games, can and do snap and cause local or family issues. imo
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Man that game looks rough. I don't think I could play that, just going around killing civies. I had a hard time getting through some of the GTA5 parts lol. Maybe if they replaced all the civies with bankers and politicians ;)

Comment

Yeah looks pretty disgusting and not all that fun or interesting. Luckily I accidentally typed my birthday as 1/1/14 so I can't watch the trailer without messing around with cookies. I've read some reviews/interviews and the guy seems pretty clear about what he is doing. In some ways I can see the logic in his claim of "purity" - why is it ok to shoot some kinds of people in a video game but not others?

Either way not really a game for me.
          sigpic

Comment

I disagree on principal with any sort of media being censored (yes, even this), but the execution here (unforgivable pun) leaves a lot to be desired.

I think you could make a thought-provoking game about this sort of thing, maybe even a good game about it, but this just seems to be a straight up glorification of murder. A dark, dark power fantasy, but without any sort of introspection. I was laughing through the intro at the over-the-top cheesiness of it, but it seems like it was intended to be sincere.

Maybe they'll surprise us and pull some sort of Spec Ops: The Line deal where they pretend the game is a generic shooter and it actually turns out to be a deconstruction, but that's not what they've implied.

At least, not that the game will turn into a deconstruction, but that the game itself is a deconstruction. The people behind it seem pretty reasonable about the whole thing (moreso than you might expect given the subject matter), and while I don't necessarily think it was the best direction to go, they've got a fair point about the game being "honest". I mean, look at (for two examples off the top of my head) Fallout 3 and Sniper Elite. Both have (literal) head-exploding violence as standard which goes above and beyond what is necessary for the game's mechanics. It's there solely to appeal to a desire for gratuitous killing. I wasn't a fan of it in either, for the record. It's acceptable in these games though, it barely even warrants a mention, because it is justified in some way. In Fallout, the gratuitous slaughter of innocents is acceptable because it is optional. In Sniper Elite, gratuitous slaughter is justified because they're [strikeout]nazis[/strikeout] German, Italian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, and Romanian soldiers, many draftees, most with no links to the nazi party, fighting for their country, their families, or the men beside them. It's acceptable to feel good about killing them.

I guess if nothing else it raises some interesting questions, like why do we like shooters? Are shooters only enjoyable if they meet a certain criteria of moral justification? If so, what is more important? The mechanics of the shooter or the feeling of being justified in your actions?
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Maybe its something that they'll put out there so the NSA and other gov't agencies can red flag those who play it!

/tinfoil hat
              "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I watched the trailer. It's brutal and disturbing, but not in a way that offends me. To be honest, gore and brutality - in games and movies - makes me giggle. Throw on a horror movie and I'll chuckle at the brutality. Some people will sit there in their seat, get squeamish and go "Oh my goodness, that's horrible!" Me? I'm the guy that will laugh and go "OOOOOOHHHH! That was brutal!!" It's the shock value of it, I guess.

However, I found the whole concept and the voiceover in the intro, a bit cheesy.

The whole violence in video games argument - I really think it's a matter of having the cognitive ability to separate entertainment/fiction from real life. More so, having the common sense to know right from wrong and NOT go out and do these things depicted in games and turn that switch off. No different than watching a movie. So many people rant and rave about how "those shooter games are bad for our kids. It's gonna make them go on a murder spree. Blah blah blah"

*rolls eyes and insert obscene hand gesture that resembles using a shake weight*

It's such an easy scapegoat, IMO, for those who don't want to take responsibility for their kids and teach them right from wrong and actually PARENT. Or investigate the root of the problem when something does happen.

I grew up playing violent video games. I turned out alright. My parents bought me a Sega Genesis and Mortal Kombat when I was in early elementary school. At that time, that game was considered one of the most violent games out there - besides Doom. I LOVED Mortal Kombat! I still do, to this day because it's an awesome game and it's a token of my childhood. My 3rd grade teacher actually sent a letter home to my parents because she was "concerned" about my fondess for all things Mortal Kombat. It was like she thought I was gonna do something dangerous because I played this game. Yes, the game was brutal. Yes, the game pushed the envelope at the time. But did I go around trying to rip people's heads off and committing brutal acts of violence IRL? No. You know why?

Because I had COMMON SENSE. Because my parents raised me right and taught me RIGHT from WRONG. Because I understood that it was just a game and was able to separate fiction from reality. Because I understood that trying to do the things depicted in the game were morally wrong and illegal IRL. Because I was mentally stable and had that cognitive ability to understand all of this and not let it influence me. Yes, there are people out there who are mentally unstable and who are not capable of making those moral decisions. That's another side of the coin, yes. I digress....

Let's take it closer to home for me. Heavy metal music. Goodness, has my favorite genre and passion been the scapegoat for decades. Again, an easy target to place blame upon, rather than investigating the root of the problem.

"He did it because he listens to that devil worshipping music! Those lyrics told him to kill that person/shoot up that school/etc"

Gimme a break! Maybe the person had mental issues, maybe he was troubled, etc. Not everybody who listens to metal is a satanic masochist who wants to exterminate the world. If anything, the metal community is one of the most tight knit and friendly groups I've ever seen. Because we have a common thread and respect among us: our love for the music and the power of it. We are all united under one flag - music. Yes, I have long hair and tattoos. Yes, I wear combat boots and cammies and controversial tshirts. Yes I like "dark" and "controversial" things. No, I'm not gonna shoot up your store or sacrifice your first born unto demonic majesties under the pale moonlight at the witching hour. But I'll help ya change your tire, I'll pick you up in a pit after you get knocked down. I'll help your grandma across the street. Whatever.

Good example: You read the lyrics to some Cannibal Corpse tunes and they're utterly brutal. Horror movie stuff. Gory. Disturbing. Do Cannibal Corpse go out and commit those acts they write about in their songs? No. It's shock value. Do their fans go out and commit those acts? No. Because most of em have the common sense - again - to separate RIGHT from WRONG. FICTION vs REALITY. It's all fantasy. Just like a movie. Just like a video game.

Let's tie these two together. Gaming and metal. They're both releases for people. Metal music has saved people because it gave them an outlet to channel their aggression/depression/problems/etc. They found something in what these bands were writing about and gravitated towards it because they related and were able to find a release in the power of it. The power of music, my friends. It's heavy. When somebody comes up to you and says "Your music saved my life. Literally".....it hits like a ton of bricks. I had that happen to me. Music is an escape and a release. Just like any other activity. When I'm having a bad day and just seething with grumpiness and hate........I throw on Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill" record and crank it. Or I go beat on my drums and blow off steam. Or I go write a song about that jackass who's an absolute thorn in my side and get it out on paper/tape - rather than doing something that would land me behind bars for a long time. If I've had a crap day, sometimes I just want to shut out the world, jump on here and shoot some virtual face with friends online and get lost in the virtual worlds of video games.

In closing - music and video games are not the problems. They do not turn people into cold blooded killers. Unfortunately, people these days, IMO, would rather place blame on something other than the individual when something happens and censor everything. Music, video games, guns, etc. It's the individual, not the tool. Maybe people find a release in violent video games because it enables them to act out things they know otherwise would have severe repercussions IRL. Maybe we gravitate towards shooters because it something we know we can't do IRL, for whatever reason. All I know is that games are awesome. Metal is awesome. Violent video games are fantasy and SHOULD be viewed as such - not as tools. Being PC is crap. Blah. I'm done. Thanks for putitng up with my long winded diatribe. :)

That's my piece.
                |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

So there are people trying to censor this game before it is even out and justify its censorship. I find that wrong.

Makes me sad that people would censor this game when games like Hotline Miami, Lucius, or GTA have just as much killing in them if not more.

Maybe it is just me but I do enjoy the concept of the game. But from a deep philosophical stand point. Will they answer that in the game? Maybe...

Lots of double standards in games these days.

That is my short but to the point rant.

- HeadClot

Comment

I will not play games where you have to kill cops to advance. Just wont do it. I get a sick feeling when I accidentally kill an innocent civilian in a game. :/

Comment

I was just reading about this today. I actually was giggling a bit throughout their little interview. I get why people are touchy about games like this and that is cool. Those are your beliefs. You can have them and no one can take them from you. On the other hand, I am not touchy at all about games. They are games. That is all. A collection of data, graphics and audio working together to form interactive pictures where you control what is going on. I like a good story in my games, sometimes I just want to kill lots of stuff (BF4, gotta pretend my shotfun is a DMR).

The funniest thing to me is people are asking what is the characters motive. Like that would some how justify or redeem his actions. In GTA V, one of your companions is just a complete psycho. In Kain and Lynch, Lynch is completely insane. Like medical regulation is required, or else he will say shoot all the hostages in the bank you are robbing. ALL the violence in games like these is senseless. Its just that most provide you motive. Why are you killing these people, what is wrong with your character? This game doesn't do that. The developers don't intend to explain that to you, they don't feel the need to.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X