Any Ideas for a New Game to Buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas for a New Game to Buy?

So, I play a lot of Battlefield 4, but I need another game to play. Playing BF4 almost exclusively can burn one out.

I am open to ideas, and would be thankful if anyone would add games to the list below and/or give opinions on them.

Here are the ones I have been really leaning towards (in order of what I am leaning more towards):

ARMA 3
    Shadow of Mordor
    Borderlands
    Ryse

ARMA 3 looks like it could really be the one that I will like, especially since there is a TG server. I played it through Steam's free-weekend deal, and holy s*** did I suck at the single player campaign; I know the learning curve for this game is steep, and a weekend is no time at all to learn this game's mechanics.

Shadow of Mordor looks epic, but I am uncertain about how it will perform on the PC. Does it need a controller?

Well, anyways, do any of you have any input on what would be a good game to get? Please, throw in your own ideas for games as well.

Thanks,
    Horseman
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Any Ideas for a New Game to Buy?

What are you looking for?

Shooter
    Strat
    Coop
    Mulitplayer
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Why not Elite: Dangerous? or Star Citizen?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
      [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
      [support]

Comment

Arma 3 is really cool, but yes, the learning curve is steep. It's alot to absorb.

I was on a Watch Dogs kick for awhile. Some people slagged it, but I actually liked it. I was headfirst into that one for a bit until I finished it. It was strange for me to play a GTA style game with mouse and keys - since my wired Xbox360 controller is toast - but I got used to it.

Company of Heroes 2 is cool, if you're into military RTS games. I got that one through AMD's free games offer thing when I got my new GPU. I used to play Close Combat, Blitzkrieg and other RTS games like that, years ago, so it appealed to me.

Warframe looks pretty cool. I've never played it, but I've seen videos and heard about it. I think it's free on Steam.

Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist were both really cool, IMO. I spent alot of time with those on PC.

I've actually been flirting with the idea of getting back into PR (Project Reality). I believe there's TG folks that still play it and I've been thinking about hooking up with them for some PR action. It's been years since I've played PR, or even seen my BF2 discs. I got em around here somewhere.
        |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
          What are you looking for?

Shooter
          Strat
          Coop
          Mulitplayer
          Really, I am just looking for any game that is fun and I can spend a lot of time with, even if it is single-player.

Elite: Dangerous looks like it could definitely be entertaining
          "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

World of Tanks — Free Online Game
            It's one of the better "free to play" games that you can have some fun with; multiplayer only. Can be quite a time sink as you level into higher pieces of armor.

Other than that keep an eye out for sales and pick up some games from the last few years that you may have missed out on when they first released.

Deal of the Day
            Portal 1 & 2. Entertaining FPS puzzle game solid SP if you haven't played those.

I tend to mix battlefield with slower paced games, especially turn based single player ones.

Comment

Planetside 2, massive scale, combined arms, great platoon level UI and squad/platoon/faction comms, we have a great community here and it's free to play, so if you don't like it, you haven't invested anything.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                Planetside 2, massive scale, combined arms, great platoon level UI and squad/platoon/faction comms, we have a great community here and it's free to play, so if you don't like it, you haven't invested anything.
                Never heard of it!

Seriously, check out some youtube videos of it. That's what immediately won me over for planetside. IN fact, I will offer one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPGIoVOqD4

Actually, videos of gameplay is apretty good way to see if you might like the style of any game.
                Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

I actually have a Planetside 2 account and played it a bit a while back; just haven't reinstalled since I got my new computer. Sounds like a good idea to reinstall, thanks.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

not ryse, its just a button sequence interactive film.

Comment

Doorkickers from KillHouse Games... only 20 bucks via Steam or GOG... a top down SWAT style tactical/strategy game.... 100 pre-made missions, give or take, 3 campaigns, a quick editor and a detailed editor... more info in the other thread I posted here, that no one seemed to care to read. ;)

or if you like Modern, real world sim style, armor combat... Steel Beasts Pro PE.

Thiers also the DCS flight sim series, and the recently released new IL2 Strumovik flight sim/game.
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

ARMA is a very cool game but not so much a game than a simulation. The campaign is fun and all but it doesn't really come close to the online experience of ARMA itself. BF4 is about as opposite as you can get from ARMA so you should know that to begin with. Playing ARMA is not something you can do in little bites. it's not unusual to be in one mission for 3 or 4 hours at a time. The world of ARMA moves much more like real life than the BF series could ever do. Consider one of the organized missions I played a couple of weeks ago. Game opens I come in as medic. Gear up at the gear boxes with backpacks ammo and extra med kits and we are ready to roll out 15 minutes later. Team moves out and I'm attached to the command team during the mission. The main infantry force does it's thing very effectively with only a couple of minor casualties. They clear out the objective and the mission ends. I applied first aid twice to two different soldiers...accompanied my command team from one CP to another as the mission progressed. I didn't fire a shot and didn't come under fire once but had a great time performing my duties until the mission ended in success two hours later.

Two hours without a shot fired and without taking fire. Can you imagine something like that in the BF series? Arma is all about immersion and role playing...if you don't have the patience to play missions lasting longer than an hour than ARMA isn't really your best choice. Not all missions are that long but it's not that unusual. But..the trade off is some amazing in game action mirroring real life. Your tactics better be sound and your comms better be solid or the enemy will roll you over. It's not like BF where you respawn 40 seconds later. In ARMA you could be waiting on a revive as much as five minutes before you are helped by a medic. If you aren't revived you may respawn miles and miles from the AO. At base You'll wait for air assets to make the five minute flight back to the AO.

The scale of ARMA is like nothing you'll ever experience in another game. It's really has to be seen and experienced in order to understand it. ARMA III is the biggest map yet with some unbelievable terrain features and geography. Dozens of villages across the map and several major cities for you to fight in. it takes more than 20 minutes in a passenger car to drive from one side of the map to the other. Airfields, hospitals, resorts, factories, fast food joints, bus stations, etc etc...

One thing that's great about ARMA at TG is the community and the admins. Newcomers are welcome with open arms and everyone always is willing tohelp out with tips or tutoring or anything else you might need. The core player base is smaller, much smaller, than the BF series but most everyone knows everyone and that makes for some very fun times playing and fighting along with people you know well. It really enhances the experience in a way BF could never. So..there is my 2 cents on ARMA.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I wanna add and say that the game mechanics of arma with the help of someone who has played it before could probably be taught in a matter of hours, so if you plan on playing it I can help out at pretty much any time of the day with things like factions and general information (friendly and opposition forces), key bindings, specialized roles or whatever you'll attempt to get into... most of us are usually some kind of a rifleman so that's an easy place to start at

but as Grunt have mentioned this is a time-consuming game based on communications and preparations rather than quick action
                          - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, to everyone who posted. I wound up buying ARMA III (half-price, just couldn't pass that up) and Shadow of Mordor (34gb!).

I understand what ARMA is, with its sheer size and simulation-style gameplay; one reason I was looking into it was exactly because it was so much more different from BF4 then any game could be . I played Project Reality, and while I know that PR doesn't compare to the scope and depth of ARMA, the 4 hour missions and sitting around doing nothing never bothered me that much in PR. In fact, I rather enjoyed it.

Thank you Xorilliz, I believe I will need to take you up on the offer for help. The campaign by itself (got to the part where your Team Leader gets blown up by a mine and your all alone) has taught me one thing: I don't know **** about ARMA's mechanics and controls. :D

Also, Elite: Dangerous definitely looks like a game I could get into. Same with IL-2: Battle for Stalingrad; I played quite a bit of War Thunder in Arcade Battles (with my piece-of-**** Logitech Wingman Extreme), and always wanted to get into the simulation side of it. I want the Occulus Rift SO bad for the flight games it, hurts.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Thanks Grunt for the good summary of ArmA, and setting realistic expectations.

Planetside gets knocked for being more to the arcade-y end of the spectrum by some here at TG, and there is some truth to that in the game in general. But our in game outfit manage to run some pretty tight squads, not anything like ArmA, but definitely well above what is considered average within PS2.

If there are no ArmA missions going, you can jump into PS2 just about any night and check it out for yourself. Applying first to the in-game outfit, or looking for people in that channel in TS is probably the easiest way to squad up with some friendly TGers for a fun time.

Operations nights are Fridays if you would like to experience being part of a little bigger scale operation.
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X