A Conundrum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conundrum

Ok, so something isn't right. You may or may not have noticed I've been absent from BF4 for a hot minute. Well, anytime I run BF4 I get total power loss, like my plug has been pulled. I've speculated it is either my PS, or GPU. But I can literally play any other game all day long on the highest settings. Diablo 3, Farcry 3 and STALKER CoP all maxed out (or really close to max) with no issues, no random power down, not even performance degradation. So I'm stumped. I'm not too keen on the idea of buying another PSU or GPU as either one is more than a handful of hundreds.

System Specs
    PSU - Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11197-03-40G
    RAM - 2 of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
    CPU - AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8 Core Processor Black Edition AM3
    MOBO - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I'm running 2 SSDs and 1 HDD, none together, all separate drives.

The Case is Corsair Vengeance Series Artic White C70 Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011019-WW), It comes stock with a few case fans, but I added 4 of Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15

I'm running windows 7 as well.

I can't think my current build is under powered, I don't overclock and outside of BF4 everything is stable as poopoo. I just can't figure out what my issue is. Windows Diag tools tell me I am losing Kernel Power or something, but its very vague.

I've run all my antis at start up, and before boot where there was an option. Those would be Avast, Spybot and Malwarebytes. They all turned up something, but they also all dealt with the issues. Rinsed and repeated to make sure I got them and they found nothing the next two go arounds.

What does everyone else think?

Sorry if it looks stupid, couldn't link anything, so just copy pasted my specs from my amazon order history. And also, profanity I guess.
    sigpic

Re: A Conundrum

How old is your PC?

Could it be dust buildup in the PSU? A lot of times you can't actually see this... you just have to blow it out and go, "OMG THAT'S NASTY!"

I used to have an old PC running games too new for it... and I would actually have to take the side off the PC and put a box fan on it because it was restarting on me due to overheating. But that was a brand PC, not a custom... I'm sure you probably have enough cooling, but still a good test to run.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

That is a weird problem. Those other games aren't too old so I don't know why they would run and BF4 wouldn't. Mom's got a good recommendation with blowing out the system with air. Something you should do at least once a year anyways and once every quarter would be best.

Seeing as it's happening only with BF4 I'd have to say I would wipe that folder out and do a complete new download and reinstall and see if this works. You can't even get in to lower the gpu settings?

Are you getting bluescreens...there should be an event log and this might help you diagnose the problem.

If you do delete then reinstall the Premium folder is more than 40Gbs so make sure you have enough room wherever you are reinstalling. I just ran into this issue when I did a clean install of Win 7 then tried to reinstall BF4...I was shocked how many Gbs it took up and had to delete some other stuff to get it on my 80GB SSD. Time to upgrade to a large SSD I guess. Good luck...I did notice you hadn't been around.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I want to say the build is just short of two years old. I cleaned the dust off maybe 6 months ago tops? I did have origin repair the files, and it seemed like a files from the main game and all its expansions required downloads, so there is that. I wish Origin was like steam and would tell me the number of files that failed validation. That'd be nice. I've never had to repair on origin before so I don't know if it redownloading anything was normal or not.

As for the error I get..

No blue screens or actual system errors pop up, its like my computer just loses all power. I have to manually restart it with the hard switch on my mother board. Granted that could be because my I/O panel is hooked up a little crazy. lol Power button does nothing and the reset button turns the computer on in most cases. lol

The system boots up normally, minus the command screen you get for improper shut downs.

I just checked the event log. My last critical condition was on the 4th of November, that was due to a local power outage due to bad weather. My earliest one previous to that was on 21 October, it was the last time I played BF4, and they both read "Event 41 Kernel-Power : The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I'm gonna try to hop on BF4 here soon and see if all the anti-everything I've run and the BF4 repair solved the issue.

EDIT

Got to play BF4 for like 10 minutes before power loss. So, I'm at a loss.
        Last edited by Combaticus; 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...5670138124927/

It sounds like it could be due to overheating.

Try to take the side off your tower and stick a box fan or some sort of fan like that on high right on the side of the tower... as crazy as it sounds, even if you have like a window unit AC that you're not using... make sure you put a bowl down to trap the condensation water... but let it run on super cold or a fan on super high into your PC while you play BF4 and see if it still shuts down... if it doesn't, your issue is overheating. If it does, then your issue is likely some sort of bios setting or something of the sort (or, it could still be overheating, but likely overheating in a smaller area like your CPU).

That said, when you built this PC (assuming you did) did the AMD processor come with heat dope already installed on the CPU? I know my i5 did, but I've never installed an AMD... if the machine is 2 years old, it may be worth taking that CPU out and checking to make sure that heat dope between the CPU top and the heat sink that sits on it isn't powdery and dry... it needs to be pasty, almost like play dough.

I would leave software troubleshooting to last... any time your PC actually loses power or restarts, it is almost always due to a hardware issue (and almost always due to overheating somewhere).

GPU, CPU, and PSU overheating will cause power failures, especially with an advanced PSU like you have that will gauge draw and shut down the flow of electricity once it detects a strain somewhere in the system (mine does that... mine even opens the circuit between the power plug and the mobo when it detects a surge **aka built in surge protector** and mine isn't as good as yours is).

Also, keep in mind that at 2 years... it may just be a piece of hardware has gone bad. More than likely, it's some sort of overheating, but it's entirely possible that something has died or is half dead in the PC itself.

Just my .02.

**second thought - just so I'm clear in my logic... what other games do you play that DO work? After reading some more about this issue, it seems that some people just have the issue with BF4. That said, the thread I'm reading is from last year... so not sure. Either way, turning graphics down and sticking a box fan or AC or something on the side of the tower will tell you if it is overheating or not. If it isn't, we can proceed to troubleshoot from there.

Mom
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Thank you for the advice, I may just take everything down and clean it real good and make sure the heat sink is making good contact to the cpu via the magic cooling paste. lol

I find myself in agreement with the hardware issue, but the one nagging flaw for me is that I can run Farcry 3 maxed out (minus some AA settings) and play that forever. Same with Diablo 3 and STALKER CoP with some graphical mods. This whole BF4 situation is bugging me a lot. I need to feed my addiction.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it is probably overheating. Those other two games can be a bit intense on the PC, but I don't think they come close to the same draw as BF4 does. Again, pretty sure I can run those other games on max settings on this system, but BF4 won't run on max... so there's definitely a bigger draw. That said, I'm not 100% on this... as I don't have those games... but I know D3 isn't as intense as BF4, and I can't imagine FC3 is, either.

Easiest way to find a quick solution... try the fan/ac and just stick it basically in your PC and let it blow while you play BF4. If it doesn't crash, you have an overheating issue. Either way, you're on the right track breaking it down and checking, but, personally, I'd try the fan first to try to eliminate the need to physically take down the machine. At least that way you may save yourself the risk of static shock or accidentally breaking a piece of hardware with clumsy hands (if you're like me), etc... of course, that is to assume that it still crashes with a pretty powerful fan blowing hard on very close to the system core.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me! I just happen to have an industrial-grade shop fan laying around lol.

Stress Tested my GPU with FurMark. It was definitely overheating. Dropped settings. Good to go!
                Last edited by Combaticus; 11-08-2014, 02:36 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

If I had to guess, the thermal paste (heat dope, whatever) between your CPU and the heat sink is likely dried up. You should definitely check this before continuing. If you have isolated the problem to be overheating with this process, then you really, really /need/ to find the source of this overheating and eliminate it. You will almost definitely ruin your tower if you continue to use it without quelling that issue. It may seem to work now, but it's only going to get worse and worse. Dropping the settings is only a short term solution... as you continue to use the PC, it's going to continue to get worse until something breaks... kinda like running a car beyond when the oil light comes on... it'll work for 2 years or so, but it's going to eventually seize.

Arctic Silver Heat Dope (the stuff most people use that I know) New Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3 5 Grams | eBay

Did FurMark tell you where it was overheating? If not, test and determine where the overheating is:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy - Speccy is freeware by Piriform... they make CCleaner, which is an excellent piece of software to use, assuming you don't already.
                  HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting - CPUID is great software for this, too.

Most recommendations that I find say CPU needs to stay under 65 degrees Celsius.

GPU overheating... I don't have a lot of experience with this (I've never had overheating problems because I'm very vigilant about keeping my system clean and good to go)... looks like 80 degrees C is on the high end of a GPU. Should idle below... 50C (?) and run with a load between 60C (?) and 75C (?). I'm just throwing those out there. Google should help you determine better numbers... those were derived from a quick search of Google and estimates in my own head.

Basically, use one of the tools to find your temps, then google if they are high and you're likely to find a solid answer somewhere on the web. If not, let me know the temps, and I'll figure out what is too high.

Pretty straight forward thread about overheating:
                  How to Tell If Your Computer is Overheating and What to Do About It

I wrote this up a while ago... sometimes I ramble, but there's a lot of good info in here for general maintenance and troubleshooting:
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/blogs/y...pair-easy.html

Good luck man. :)

Mom
                  Last edited by YerMom; 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM.

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I appreciate all the advice Mom! And yes, I ran FurMark for the GPU, it ran to 85C and then I canceled the test. Furmark let me know Temps, GPU load and Fan load. The fans just weren't spinning up to keep up with the heat gain. The CPU seems to be running a little warm but it is par for the course for AMD processors.

I'm pretty familiar with Artic Silver Paste, I want to say that is what I used initially. I think on payday I'll order some more and re apply it and clean out my system. Once I lowered the loads on my GPU it was pretty much right as rain, so I'll definitely look into that. The Vapor-X system that Sapphire uses on their GPUs is decent. Maybe a little gimmicky, its basically a couple of fans and a bunch of copper pipping and sinks.

Heat has never been an issue for my system before, so I am thinking new thermal paste and a good cleaning is in order. I wish I would have thought harder about this lol. I could have avoided some head ache lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

Good luck.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Well, it turns out its definitely a PSU issue. Can't play the new Dragon Age either. Talked with Corsair, got my RMA approved, sending it out on monday! Hopefully be back on the battlefield by next weekend!
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X