Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Stillness

Pico Iyer: The art of stillness | Talk Video | TED.com

"In a piece of music, it's the pause or the rest that gives the piece its beauty and its shape."

I'd argue the same is true in videogames. If a game doesn't have notable ebbs to go with the exciting flows, I'm not interested.

Re: The Art of Stillness

I miss your old iconic avatar, Duude.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Like when we kill all those pesky Independents in Pyrgos, and we have that little break before they come back. ;)

Comment

That's what keeps bringing me back to PR. The time devoted to a good defense or ambush pays off in spades when it works.

Boredom followed by terror and jubilation.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I have to say that I agree with you, WhiskeySix. When playing games, such as Project Reality, ArmA, and even Battlefield, the lull in combat--the silence--is almost like an exclamation mark to the action. Setting up fire positions, placing explosives, waiting and scanning for the enemy. Suddenly, BAM! You're engaged in intense combat, and your guys are taking enormous amounts of fire. Casualties are mounting, but you're able to withstand fusillade. Then the 2nd lull: patching up the wounded, restocking on ammo, setting up new fire-zones or preparing to move out. The lulls, in ArmA and PR, can be anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes (sometimes more), but it is part of what makes the game great in my opinion.

But, as the speaker in the video says, other people have radically different views about these lulls in the action; they hate them. They want the constant, intense action-packed gameplay without pause.

Good video and point, Whiskey.
          "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X