Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam now pushing money for mods

Here we are.

This is the trial program. I'm sure Bohemia Interactive among others are pretty keen to get their fingers in this pie if the gaming community tolerates it.

Re: Steam now pushing money for mods

I see this as a positive development, much like Steam has been a boon for small developers. it will allow mod devs, who spend so much time extending a games value, to monetize their efforts. The portion Valve will keep will be worth it for the developers to not have to manage payment systems and other back office processes.

It does have the risk of cluttering the workshops with crappy, low or over priced, mods that are just cash grabs. I think it's worthwhile on the whole.

Comment

The only problem is that steam is taking 75%....
      TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

I think the first comment in this graphic sums up my feelings as far as some of the outrageous prices I've seen so far:

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
          The portion Valve will keep will be worth it for the developers to not have to manage payment systems and other back office processes.
          Valve keeps 75% of all profits and does 0% of all development work. (And what's more unless your mod sells at least $400 worth of content you get nothing to begin with.)

Should modders inherently expect their efforts to be financially rewarded? Is there still ultimately a place for people to share their experimentation, or is the goal to cash out?

I am deeply concerned, particularly for Bethesda who have a habit of releasing games that essentially require many dozens of mods to approach complete status, in some cases requiring a few mods to even get to playable status.

Comment

I must have missed the part where valve is taking 100% up to $400 and 75% after that. I' was skimming the announcement on my phone. That's a pretty crappy deal and mod makers should be encouraged not to participate in it. That said I won't fault a mod maker for trying to get back what they can for their efforts.

99% of mods are crap I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Some are great and I would like an easy way to contribute to their continued development. Perhaps a compromise donation system would be a better choice.

Of course all steam users have to do is refuse to buy and it will all die a painful death.

Comment

I was bored enough waiting in the airport to read through the new Workshop terms of service. The percentage of the sales price that goes to the contributor is at be discretion of the software publisher of the game being modded:

"The percentage of Adjusted Gross Revenue that you are entitled to receive will be determined by the developer/publisher of the Application associated with the Workshop to which you have submitted your Contribution (“Publisher”), and will be described on the applicable Workshop page. " (http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/w...t/?appid=72850)

More interestingly that publisher can choose to distribute your contributied mod FOR FREE if they so choose. Pulling down the contribution would be the only recourse. It seems Valve is intending to put the onus of managing mod cost on the publishers, making them police what constitutes a fair price for mods to their game. It is also up to the publishers whether they allow for pay mods to begin with.

Couldn't find any reference to 75% of sales going to Valve. What's the source on that?

Comment

The reddit thread on the matter in /r/skyrimmods is where I got that number ( Thallassa comments on Official SW Monetization Discussion Thread ). In my hurry to grab my pitchfork it looks like I did make a mistake. It's not 25/75, it's 25/45/30 with Valve getting the 30, Bethesda getting the 45, and the user getting the 25. To some degree this is funnier/worse, as eventual for sale bugfixing mods amount to indirect racketeering.

For funsies, a redditor broke down the current sales

RandomHypnotica comments on Official SW Monetization Discussion Thread: Pt. 2

Comment

Ugggh... Now I know that Nexus is still the way to go. Sure Bethesda and Steam may provide tools, but does this mean that future distribution of mods at Nexus will be targeted?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this: I'd be on board paying something for larger full conversion mods like we saw for earlier battlefield titles, but cosmetic mods and ones that don't change the base gameplay, not so much. This seems an extension from the success of selling ingame items in TF2: Hats equal money: 1,500 Steam community creators have earned more than $57M making items | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb and peoples willingness to purchase early access games on steam.

Comment

Disgusting. They really have some nerve.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Time to pirate mods I guess, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                          Disgusting. They really have some nerve.
                          Are you referring to the mod makers who didn't take 15 minutes to read the terms of service before uploading their content to this program? I'm guessing they are mostly youngsters who don't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                            Are you referring to the mod makers who didn't take 15 minutes to read the terms of service before uploading their content to this program? I'm guessing they are mostly youngsters who don't know any better.
                            Stealing is still stealing. They have some education growing up that stealing other people's works is wrong and a crime. I remember learning about intellectual property in grade school and high school. So I'd only assume kids nowadays should already know about IP given how connected everyone is.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Guess what. Valve and Bethesda nixed the pay-for-mods program.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X