World of Warships Open Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warships Open Beta

Be sure you get the downloads done. Also if you get premium days added to your game, they added a feature that whenever you purchase premium for your account, it will be added to your world of tanks, and world of warplanes accounts too. My friend Koplin and I are playing Japan Destroyers, and US Cruisers. Not sure what country we will play for carriers or battleships yet.

Re: World of Warships Open Beta

Torpedoes are appallingly powerful for how simple they are to use, other than that this is great fun!

Comment

some ships are easy to dodge them. Highest I've gotten was tier 6, and I was able to dodge torps pretty easily.

Comment

I'm up to the South Carolina and torpedoes are actually invisible until about 150-300 meters away. Given a 50km/h speed on the torps and the lengthy rudder response times, dodging isn't an option. Most of my deaths are from DDs firing torpedoes through smoke.

Comment

Higher levels Battleships have some nice armor to take the hits from a torpedo attack.

Comment

If anyone is wondering what class and country to play here are some of the vids world of warships youtube channel has added to help you decide what to pick -

No destroyer or carrier vids yet..

IJN destroyers are for using tons of torpedoes and carry more torpedoes than the USA destroyers. USA destroyers are better in assisting friendly ships.

IJN Carriers have bad AA guns to protect themselves against enemy squadron attacks, also their planes do not last against enemy fire, but you get more planes than USA does. USA Carriers have good AA to protect themselves, also their squadrons have better durability, but not have better offensive power than IJN.

Battleships

USA Cruisers

IJN Cruisers

Comment

Having played with DDs, CCs, BBs, and CVs, I am going to assert that torpedoes need to be looked at. They are low effort extreme reward. Effortless packets of 10,000-30,000 damage each that typically aren't spotted until they're less than 500 meters away from your ship. They are exactly as spectacular against enemies as they are in the enemy's hands, a real signal that there's some balance to be soused out.

Torpedo Bombers are particularly egregious and seem to be totally beyond reprisal without fighters of your own. I say this, having just been sunk in a Wyoming 1 minute 45 seconds into the game surrounded by 2 Phoenixes and 3 Omahas, US CCs whose entire focus is AA.

Comment

Sounds like you're playing a totally different game than the one I played last month. At the time, torpedoes were pretty unanimously considered in need of a buff, particularly since ship maneuverability was increased across the board. I was dodging salvos left and right in my near-stock Kongo. The torp problem reportedly got even worse at the higher tiers, as ships got more maneuverable, and torps got spotted at longer distances (since the spotting distance was a % of the torp's range).

In particular, this really screwed over the mid-late game Japanese cruisers and destroyers, as their powerful, plentiful, fast, long-range torps were supposed to balance their total gunnery inferiority to the US ships. Problem was, since long-range torps could be spotted from excessive ranges, the US torps were more effective than the Japanese against competent opponents, on top of their gunnery advantage.

If this has changed, you'll have to forgive my skepticism, but it sounds like you might be getting the short end of the stick for a couple of reasons.

For starters, the low-tier American battleships are the single most vulnerable unit in the game to torpedoes, since they lack the maneuverability and speed of their Japanese counterparts. These ships are about guns and armor, and they will out-shoot anything else on the water. If torps were not effective against them, they'd be completely unstoppable.

Low-tier torps generally only have ranges of about 4km (US) to 7km (IJN). If destroyers/cruisers are getting this close to your BB without being sunk, I would inquire as to your tactics. It sounds like you may be charging in to way too close a range, getting too close to islands, or travelling without a screen to keep smaller ships from closing in.

Remember to always never travel in a straight line for more than 15 seconds or so. 5-7km range is pretty extreme for a torpedo, (which barely travel faster than most ships) and generally the only way someone can score a hit at you from that range is if you are travelling in a very predictable manner (a straight line or too close to an island to maneuver).

Torp bombers can be annoying to deal with, but just remember to always face your ship towards the enemy planes. Even a perfect manual torp drop can only hit 1-2 torps from a frontal attack, and they take a Looooong time to reload.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

It's possible that it gets better in later tiers but I'm really disinterested in putting the work in to get to those tiers. On the other hand, if you have played a game where low tier American battleships can out shoot anything else on the water it might really have been a different design paradigm. The South Carolina and Wyoming are sluggish bastards (Yes, I understand the concept of the glacial bruiser, but they are just unrelentingly unresponsive) with a target profile the size of their respective states and about as much ability to change course as a tectonic plate, all of that might be forgivable if they had good guns but the RNG means out of 12 shells I'm lucky to land 2 at 8km. This is another area that seems largely dual sided, that is to say I don't find enemy BBs doing crushing damage. If anything, I've taken to ignoring BB until there are no other targets because they are so nonthreatening.

Cruisers seem to be where things are balanced at, even stock games in the Omaha have been enjoyable. I still feel guilty when I cook some poor bastard for 3/4 of his HP bar with one salvo of torpedoes from 4km that I can see him swerving pointlessly to avoid.

Edit: it's just frustrating to see another SPG esque mechanic. I do not feel that I have any player agency when it comes to torps.
                  Last edited by mat552; 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Perhaps. I'll try to pop on tonight after I'm done cleaning the house. It was pre-open-beta-patch that I last played, but pre-OBT it was a fairly decently balanced, semi-rock-paper-scissors gameplay. CAs (usually) beat DDs, BBs (usually) beat CAs, DDs (sometimes) beat BBs. (CVs decent against anything, heavily dependent on skill of attacker/defender)
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

AWESOME! Downloaded it last night, played it for a bit, and so far it looks pretty cool; had some good fun (although I only played Co-op).

Really irritated me about World of Tanks was the Pay-2-Win feel of the game. Is this going to be like that? Is there game-changing things you can buy to give an unfair advantage? Do I have to use the ship directly before the next one in line in order to get it, or can I use, say, a T2 DD to get XP for a T4?

That was one thing that I liked about War Thunder; nearly anything that you could buy was obtainable in the game without spending money. Money just allowed you to get to it quicker, not purchase a completely unfair advantage.
                      "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Pale Horseman I've been very pleasantly surprised by how painless WoWS is, even in comparison to WoT. Premium consumables aren't common (at low tiers at least) and are all available for silver. There's no premium ammo, no superships, nothing. I can easily see how converting XP from elited ships to the common pool could account for plenty of income for Wargaming, I have something like 20$ of XP on my St Louis alone just waiting to be converted.

Comment

I'm kind of really liking Cruisers.

Comment

Does this game have any mechanics like those magical bushes in World of Tanks making people completely invisible? It's one of my reasons for not getting into it.

Comment

you can set off a smoke screen, but all that does is stops you from showing up on the map, you can still be seen if you have line of sight

also, add me! browna3

currently playing american battleships but thinking of looking at the cruisers line aswell

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X