The Man in the High Castle.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man in the High Castle.

I am a huge history buff and like to think about the "what if's". I am talking about the "alternate histories". I stumbled across the book "Man in the High Castle" several years ago and was intrigued and I read it in a night.

Fast forward 2 years later and I am sitting here in my 7th tour in the Sandbox, I hop onto Amazon Prime to see what new movies are out (think god for VPN's, because Portable cougar likes to send me inappropriate awesome things, and I stumble across the a series being made about the same book. I have to say that it is something that I recommend to the history buffs out there.

The basic concept is that Germany and Japan win the second World War and conquer and occupy the United States. Japan controlling the western seaboard and Germany controlling the East, with Rockies acting like a buffer zone.

I highly suggest this series and hopefully the second episode will be made soon.

Dirt
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: The Man in the High Castle.

I saw this thread title and had to drop in because I figured you guys were talking about me . . . . . . . :-)

Sounds good Dirt, dialing it up next moments I get.

Thanks for the suggestion . . . . and for thinking about me.

Solo . . . . . . out . . . . .\ (ArmA guys will get that one)

Comment

Looks really good Dirt, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Looks like it definitely can be awesome. Going to check out the book, for sure, since I've been into historical-fiction lately (Steven Pressfield and Conn Iggulden mostly); alternative fiction will be a nice, easy change of pace.

Thanks, Dirt.
        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Give the troy series by David Gemmel a read if you enjoy Conn Iggulden.
          |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Will do, Corp.

The Man in the High Castle was written by the same guy that wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which was made into the movie Blade Runner), Phillip K. Dick. Now I definitely got to give this a try. :row__577:

How much does it cost for Amazon Prime's movie streaming, and, more importantly, is it worth it?
            "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

*watches trailer* Oh my. Now i have to get the book and read it before i see the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear61 View Post
                Looks really good Dirt, thanks for the heads up.

Right now there is only a single episode on Amazon. I've asked Amazon about when there would be more episodes, but they kept telling me "coming soon". That was about 6 months ago. At this point, it doesn't look like they'll even produce any more episodes. And the one episode leaves off at a rather bad cliffhanger.

I've also read the book so this actually comes pretty close so far (unlike other book-to-film type shows).

[MENTION=8330]Dirtboy[/MENTION]

If you love alternative history like I do, I highly suggest John Birmingham (Australian author) and his Axis of Time series of books. They are currently four of them and are a great read! I was hooked after the first couple of chapters of Weapons of Choicce.

Another good series is 1632 by Eric Flint. A couple of them are co-authored with David Weber (of the Honor Harrington series fame). They are all well written (I'm only a couple of books in). They get very detailed, so if you're more of a action-by-deeds kind of reader, you might get bored.

And a series I'm follow right now: Outlander (link to a YouTube trailer). It's about a WW2 nurse that gets teleported back like 300 years into the past while on vacation in Scotland with her fiancee.

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Will def check that out dirt given the lack of good series out now. My gf has me watching modern family with her. the horror.

Comment

I caught this a little while ago - looking forward to them finishing the first season so they show it!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X