Windows 10 and your bandwidth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 and your bandwidth

It appears Microsoft will use its customers' upload bandwidth to deliver Windows 10's updates and apps with a P2P technology resembling BitTorrent. You may not want this happening and it is a feature you can turn off. Suggest read http://www.itnews.com/windows/95335/...thash.T9Np2XYo

Re: Windows 10 and your bandwidth

Thanks for the info. I disabled it.

Question - would the background uploading Microsoft would conduct to spread these updates potentially affect online gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins227 View Post
      Thanks for the info. I disabled it.

Question - would the background uploading Microsoft would conduct to spread these updates potentially affect online gameplay?
      Depending on your bandwidth, yes, it could. For reference, this is also how World of Warcraft distributes updates by default.

I disabled it as well.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

For you guys that have Windows 10, is it worth getting? What are the pros and cons?
        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Check out this thread; http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads/201814-Windows-10

Comment

I like poking around in the settings. I thought it was clever to allow machines on the same network to share the updates, but I turned off the internet sharing piece. Maybe if I had more than 2 Mbps up I would leave it on, but TWC doesn't think anyone needs more than that.

Comment

I left this on, but chose "For PCs on my network only". I have other desktops that are slowly getting moved over to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Would be nice not to have to download the same updates 5x in a row sucking up my limited data per month.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Limited data? I've feared cable going the direction of wireless providers. That would suck.
                |TG|Melee
                Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21552...ive-years.html

This has been in practice for a while at Comcast. I've got Comcast. I download like a boss. Just this month, I've reformatted both PCs and re-downloaded all of my games and etc from Steam, Origin... Elder Scrolls Online... all of the drivers because my PCs are custom, etc etc.

I'm still at like 150 gigs for the month. Worry when that 300 gig limit drops down to like 100 for the month. THAT will suck.

Mom
                  Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                  Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                  Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...