World War 2 Online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War 2 Online

While browsing the net a while ago, I came across a MMPOG called World War 2 Online. It seems to be a very tactical and deep game, and one which would fit well into the TG mindset.
    http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp
    For others interested, there is a new version coming out called Battlegrounds Europe, with a review here:
    http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=602996
    Has anyone here played this? If so, would you recommend it?
    Last edited by munchkin; 09-15-2005, 01:06 PM. Reason: added url

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: World War 2 Online

Link to the first gmae you were talking about?

Comment

August 26, 2005
      Battleground Europe Open Beta
      Back in 2001, World War II Online gave us massively multiplayer war simulation on an unprecedented scale. While the user base is relatively small, it has been enough to keep the game alive, and it has had many improvements over the years, including graphics upgrades. They are about to re-release the title in both the U.S. and the U.K. as Battleground Europe. An open beta is being held from August 25th through Sunday August 28th. It's a good opportunity to see what's new, but not really enough time to get to know the game, as the learning curve is quite steep.

Taken from about.com...It looks like the game didnít take off like they expected back in 2001. But I have to say I am intrigued.

Comment

So they made it, it failed, they rereleased it?

Comment

I guess.

Comment

actually it never really failed, just never caught on like normal FPS games. They have had an active subscriber base since release that hovers around 10k.
            "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert E.

Comment

I bought the game when it first came out... never paid for a month's subscription because I hated it. I even emailed the company and asked for a refund but they couldn't be bothered to reply. I still have the CD and all... represents my wasted $50 and serves as a reminder to never buy another game unless I can play a demo first.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

An analyst that works for me loved this game. The biggest feature and biggest drawback is that the world is modelled at a realistic % scale. You spawn well back from the battlefield and then have to find transport, which might take 5-10 minutes of Real Life time to get to the front... Don't die fast or you have to start over.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                  I bought the game when it first came out... never paid for a month's subscription because I hated it. I even emailed the company and asked for a refund but they couldn't be bothered to reply. I still have the CD and all... represents my wasted $50 and serves as a reminder to never buy another game unless I can play a demo first.
                  Those are some fighting type words there! What about the game could possibly make you hate it that much? I'd like to know, and from the opposite end of the spectrum for those of you that have heard it is good, or played it and would say that it is.

Comment

I can't remember specifics any more -- it's been four years! I guess some folks like it if the game is still going 4 years later, but it wasn't for me.

I do know that the only game I've bought since then that I didn't play a demo of was Sim City 4 :) Maybe BFV too, can't recall a demo for that.. But both of those games had prequels that I was familiar with.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

I subscribed a while a go and loved it. The only problem was finding a group to play with, as really it needs a team (and teamwork) to make the most of it. Most groups/clans i joined weren't very serious and subsequently fell apart. But if we were to get a group going I might consider rejoining.

Comment

Currently, I am very tempted to buy the game via their website,
                        (According to forums, Battleground Europe = WW2 Online, but with a box, manual and included map) but I think I'd have trouble balancing that with bf2 and OFP.
                        However, if we were to get a group of TGers together, I would definitely reconsider.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                        |TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse