Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revolution controller pictures released.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolution controller pictures released.

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308865&type=lg

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

My thoughts... it's a damned remote. That will not be comfortable, but the idea of it as a whole is rather interesting. I think the controller itself, while interesting, is also rather stupid, and lord knows the Nintendo fanboys will go into shock from this. "It's advanced technology! Let's see your XBox 360 do that!" That will be the worst part...

Re: Revolution controller pictures released.

woah, since when did games turn to tv remote controls ;) haha......this revolution will definitely be interesting, but at least it still has its place for all nintendo fanboys out there. i have fallen towards the sony playstation-type, nintendo will be a mere casual console for me. it's all about the ps3 ;)

Comment

Consoles have become too hybrid for me. I have a PC, I don't need another one. And I'm damn sure not paying $400+ for an X-Box2 or PS3. Unless Nintendo somehow loses the licenses for Metroid, Zelda, or Mario (haha, not likely), I'll be purchasing a Revolution.

As for controllers, if I had a nickel for everytime some guy said "lol, taht controller is teh huge , it wont wrok." I'd have a lot of nickels. I'll try it before I knock it.

Comment

A perspective that was shared with me, a friend of mine HATES traditional controllers because her hands are too small to reach all the buttons.

I think that this controller (esp when you consider the analog thingy in the one hand and the remote thingy in the other) will work better for varying sized hands. Be they male/female and/or old/young.

Another comment in that second article got my attention, about the metroid prime thingy " As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup." Personally, I hate traditional controllers ESPECIALLY when considering first person shooter type games. This review made me think maybe, finally, here is a controller I could deal with...

It certainly is a market diferentiator. We'll see how games really take advantage of it. It'll also serve to tie games TO the nintendo system as there won't be a comparable control mechenism in all other consoles. That plays right in to Nintendo's strength, in that Nintendo has always been more known for it's game titles than anything else(hardware, graphics, etc).

Is the new Nintendo supposed to also work as a home theater type pc? They said something about wifi? The remote style could play into that. Market it as more of an all in one entertainment console than just games.

Lots of marketability in that controller....

Note: "Thingy" is the technical term for a who-sy-whats-it.

Comment

in that video shown at the tokyo game show, they show people useing the controller as a baseball bat, as drumsticks, etc... i wonder how that works. Apparently is aware of where it is in 3d space.

Comment

My only hope is that Nintendo is throughly rewarded for its innovation. I'm not certain it will be, though. The market doesn't usually like innovation, despite the constant clamors for it.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Since I'm at work, the links that Azz posted are blocked. I found photos over on Ars Technica.....that's really cool!

What makes more sense than a remote? People hold onto one all the time. And the attached stick deals with the l/r issue beautifully. Very slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas
                in that video shown at the tokyo game show, they show people useing the controller as a baseball bat, as drumsticks, etc... i wonder how that works. Apparently is aware of where it is in 3d space.

Yeah, I heard (have not personally seen) that one of the demos of the controler was a game of air-hockey, where they used the controller as the air hockey padle (moving it around in the air) to play the game.

Should be cool.... Can you imagine a StarWars game, using this type of controler for the lightsaber?

Comment

My friend mentioned that first thing. Then again we're SW nerds to an extent.

The part of the video where one person uses the remote as a sword made me think that that is entirly possible, and Nintendo would be fools to not take advantage of it.

Comment

The revolution comes with screen sensors, like a lightgun in arcades. And its apparently more accurate than a lightgun, taking into account tilt. And if you hold it to the side, the layout is pretty much an NES controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                      My only hope is that Nintendo is throughly rewarded for its innovation. I'm not certain it will be, though. The market doesn't usually like innovation, despite the constant clamors for it.

i think its an awsome 1dea.... but i dont think the gaming world is ready for it quite yet. i hope it dont go down like the sega DC. im gonna pick 1 up just to see what awsome stuff can be done with it

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                      Delta MICS
                      Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

I'm not sure what to think of that, when I opened that picture I gave it the same look my dog gives me when I fake throwing his ball. It looks like it would be good for FPS games but also a little awkward and possibly expensive and fragile. I'm interested though, it's significantly different then the competition but it still depends on the games they offer.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on the PC games market if it becomes popular. FPS will no longer suck on consoles, RTS might even be possible. Why bother with a computer if consoles have just as good (or better) controls, net connectivity, amazing graphics ... ?

Very cool in any case.

Comment

They have an addon for the remote to make it like the gamecube remote.
                            http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/6...g_3077147.html
                            Looks interesting.

Comment

That is speculation but there will be a part to make it a standerd controller.
                              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X